Apple's iPhone 5 comes to mobile phone newcomer FreedomPop

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
FreedomPop, which recently launched a cellular service to go along with its "free mobile data" plans, will be getting its first batch of Apple handsets with the iPhone 5 to sell as part of the firm's "freemium" service.

Source: FreedomPop via Re/Code

According to Re/code, the mobile virtual network operator will be selling "like-new" refurbished iPhone 5 models for $349 to go along with its free VoIP plan, which includes 200 voice minutes, 500 text messages and 500MB of data per month. From there, add-on plans can be purchased starting at $5 per month.

As FreedomPop runs on Sprint's network, new customers can also bring over compatible iPhone 4, 4S and 5 handsets to take advantage of the MVNO's low rates. Previously, the company only offered refurbished Android smartphones.

"This is going to be a big step for us," said FreedomPop CEO Stephen Stokols.

He went on to say that the iPhone 5 is a good fit for his company as it offers fast LTE speeds at a manageable price. The 4G tech is crucial as iPhone 5 owners will be using FreedomPop's voice over IP service for calling.

Prior to its voice calling service that launched in October, FreedomPop started life in 2011 and rolled out cellular data provider, offering free or low-cost plans alongside mobile hotspots and other hardware.

Finally, FreedomPop will also debut an app that offers free voice, text and voicemail for iPhone users on other carriers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

From what I heard on the evening news, it uses Sprint's network but it is primarily using 3G although 4G is available in some areas. The report was mostly critical of the service citing poor reception around LA  even when compared to an actual Sprint phone at the same location.

• Reply 2 of 8
    500 text messages... I feel like I go through that in a day now... Maybe back in 2002. Hehe. :)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Interesting business model. How do they make money?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Seems it is 4G so it is an Apple whitelisted network.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Is it Telcom Insider now? I fail to see the point of these news...

Will we get also news items if VietnamPhones.com start selling the iPhone?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Is it Telcom Insider now? I fail to see the point of these news...

Will we get also news items if VietnamPhones.com start selling the iPhone?

This directly relates to the iPhone. This also directly relates to a cellular network in the USA that is now starting to offer iPhone service. How does this not deserve mention on an Apple-centric site?

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From what I heard on the evening news, it uses Sprint's network but it is primarily using 3G although 4G is available in some areas. The report was mostly critical of the service citing poor reception around LA  even when compared to an actual Sprint phone at the same location.

That's a reason I stopped reading C|Net. They fail to realize MANY customers in the USA do NOT live in a major CA city or NYC. 

I generally have decent/good Sprint service, including LTE. The speeds aren't stellar, but Sprint is making an effort to boost its network. For the price, it isn't bad. 

On to the point of your comment: any MVNO gets last priority. That's one of the reasons I left Net10 for Sprint: network priority. 

• Reply 8 of 8
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

This directly relates to the iPhone. This also directly relates to a cellular network in the USA that is now starting to offer iPhone service. How does this not deserve mention on an Apple-centric site?

"Will we get also news items if VietnamPhones.com start selling the iPhone?"

As far as I know, Ai doesn't do the latter. Why should Vietnam or Dutch or UK readers be interested in TelcomUSAInsider? 

Apple news, yes. Telco news, no. The fact that iPhone is related doesn't seem relevant here, since Ai doesn't inform us anytime a small provider in some random country offers the iPhone. When Ben.nl started offering the iPhone, AppleInsider did not do a news item, did they? When Free.fr started offering the iPhone, AppleInsider did not do a news item, did they?

Apple News, yes. Telcos, no. Of course, the fact that you seem to be interested, of course, may prove me wrong, unless you're American, which would skew your point of view ;)

Edit: note that in terms of importance, financially, of the news, the information here: images.apple.com/nl/pr/pdf/q4fy13datasum.pdf clearly shows that the USA market (only part of the Americas, which also includes Canada, a rich country, and Brasil, which has an affluent class that desires Apple products) is actually now a minor component of Apple's global market. That doesn't mean it's irrelevant, just that it's not the major source of revenue for Apple anymore. For the record, for Q4 2013, the Americas' total revenue is 13B, when global revenue is 37B. Why should news of a small telco provider in what is now a minor market be relevant to people interested in Apple?