Apple's Mac Pro ship times improve to 3-4 weeks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited May 2014
Exactly one week after Apple improved shipping estimates for its flagship Mac Pro desktop to three to five weeks, the company has again cut down on wait times with orders now showing delivery dates of less than one month.

Demand for Apple's redesigned Mac Pro has been outstripping supply since its debut in December, but a look at the Online Apple Store shows Apple is quickly catching up.

Spotted by AppleInsider reader Rolando, all configurations are now available within three to four weeks, the new estimates bring estimated shipping times to one month or below for the first time since launch.

Ship-by dates have slowly improved over the past few months, with checks in April showing estimates at 5-6 weeks, which moved up to 4-6 weeks on Apr. 11 and 4-5 weeks on Apr. 18. Last week Apple improved availability to 3-5 weeks.

The Online Apple Store is still the only place to buy the most powerful Mac ever as in-store supplies are non-existent. In January, Apple said it didn't expect to have models available at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores until at least March. In hindsight that guess was a bit optimistic.

As Apple stocks up on inventory, authorized resellers like MacMall and Adorama have limited supplies of select Mac Pro configurations, which can be seen in AppleInsider's live Price Guides.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member
    Now that they finally have a truly new Mac Pro I expect we will likely start seeing upgrades far more often than in the past. It is likely an 8 or possibly even a 12 core version will appear. Looks like all those people that said no one uses a desktop Mac anymore were dead wrong if they can't even meet demand. I realize the MP sells in tiny numbers compared to a Macbook Air but still a good sign.
  • Reply 2 of 40

Yeah, but the wait times on existing orders didn't drop.

What this means is a *whole lot* of these will be going out at the end of this month, basically anything ordered in the last two months.

Which is kinda interesting.

• Reply 3 of 40
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Now that they finally have a truly new Mac Pro I expect we will likely start seeing upgrades far more often than in the past. It is likely an 8 or possibly even a 12 core version will appear. Looks like all those people that said no one uses a desktop Mac anymore were dead wrong if they can't even meet demand. I realize the MP sells in tiny numbers compared to a Macbook Air but still a good sign.

Where've you been? 8- and 12-core versions have been available for months. To me it seems more likely that the U.S. production facility was so slow that even meager demand couldn't be met. 

When will we see dual-processor Mac Pros?

• Reply 4 of 40
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Where've you been? 8- and 12-core versions have been available for months. To me it seems more likely that the U.S. production facility was so slow that even meager demand couldn't be met. 

I should have said dual 12 core. 

• Reply 5 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I should have said dual 12 core. 

Don't you just hate words out. I do it the time ;)
  • Reply 6 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Still waiting for an Apple 4K monitor. The Sharp 4K in the Apple store is getting Meh reviews. Even some of the people who give it five stars still find something to complain about. I'll wait. My 2008 MP with 30" Cinema is cranking along just fine.

• Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

I don't think the chassis is designed for that.

• Reply 8 of 40
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think the chassis is designed for that.

But what's stopping Apple?

• Reply 9 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cpsro wrote: »

Cost and need come to mind. Have you priced those processors? And everyone I know that is buying a Mac Pro isn't seeing any benefit from buying anything more than a quad-core.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    I've been hoping all along since I had seen this design that the new Mac Mini would be a smaller version of this form factor with 4k support. If that is going to be the case they would need to meet demand for the Pro version first I would think.

I''m watching the rumors for signs of this because I would love to upgrade my current mini that's used almost expressly for my home theater/entertainment.

Just something I've been wishing for, that's all. :)
  • Reply 11 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

The chassis. You’d have to have either dual CPU+single GPU or single CPU+dual GPU, but the latter is what Apple found most people use.

• Reply 12 of 40
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Now that they finally have a truly new Mac Pro I expect we will likely start seeing upgrades far more often than in the past. It is likely an 8 or possibly even a 12 core version will appear.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.  The current Mac Pro already exists as an 8 or 12 core CPU.  Build to order and choose either 8 or 12 cores.

• Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

Still waiting for an Apple 4K monitor. The Sharp 4K in the Apple store is getting Meh reviews. Even some of the people who give it five stars still find something to complain about. I'll wait. My 2008 MP with 30" Cinema is cranking along just fine.

Apple does not make LCD panels.  An Apple-branded LCD would likely have a panel made by Sharp.

• Reply 14 of 40

What a stupid article.  Anyone shopping for a Mac Pro would see the ship times on Apple's website.  They don't need a lame article like this to tell them…but then maybe some of the readers here do need someone to spoon feed them information because they are too dumb to figure it out on their own.

• Reply 15 of 40
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

"meager demand"?  And what's that based on?  do you know how many units they've shipped, how many are on order?   They obviously have more orders than they can fulfill, which is all we know.  These high end computers don't represent the majority of computers sold, since they are automatically a more niche workstation.  I wonder how HP, Dell and others are doing with their comparable workstations in terms of unit sales of similar configurations.

I don't know if Apple has plans for a dual-processor MacPro since the cost associated with it is rather high, there isn't enough demand is what I think would be the reasons.  The types of apps that most of their users are using are more graphic intensive than CPU intensive is one possible reason.  If they did make on, the case would have to be big enough to but 4 boards inside with a big enough heat sink, a larger fan, etc.  I don't know if they would sell enough to make it worthwhile.  They don't have enough room inside with 2 GPU cards, which I think is their direction.   Just a hunch.

• Reply 16 of 40
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

You do realize that Apple won't actually be "making" the displays, right?

So no point for Apple to put these out until Sharp, LG, Samsung, or somebody makes one that looks fantastico. (and at a price)

• Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple does not make LCD panels.  An Apple-branded LCD would likely have a panel made by Sharp.

Yeah, but it would be much higher build quality and probably better electronics as well.  Right now all of the 4K monitors are glitchy and the Sharp one is really cheap plastic. The chips are not there yet. They are using multiple chips and tiling the output to get to 4K and no one has anything better than 60 Hz. Mostly people are saying it is a little choppy for a monitor although fine for a TV.  I'm not going to be an early adopter this time.

• Reply 18 of 40
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

What a stupid article.  Anyone shopping for a Mac Pro would see the ship times on Apple's website.  They don't need a lame article like this to tell them…but then maybe some of the readers here do need someone to spoon feed them information because they are too dumb to figure it out on their own.

Mommy forget to give you you're bottle today?

• Reply 19 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    Mostly people are saying it is a little choppy for a monitor although fine for a TV.  I'm not going to be an early adopter this time.

But how much of that is the monitor and how much the "PC"? Apple isn't officially supporting UHD@60Hz in the Late-2013 MBPs until 10.9.3.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And everyone I know that is buying a Mac Pro isn't seeing any benefit from buying anything more than a quad-core.

Actually the quad-core is faster because it is clocked higher. If you are rendering long movies in FCP X then the higher cores will kick in. For regular Adobe CC work the quad-core is faster.