New Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts gets official welcome on executive leadership webpage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
In an update to its official website late Thursday, Apple's new SVP of Retail and Online Stores Angela Ahrendts was placed on the Apple Leadership roster, signaling her official entry into the company.

Alongside the usual headshot, Ahrendts' short bio notes the retail chief will be reporting directly to Apple CEO Tim Cook, who has been temporarily leading the company's retail group for over a year.

Filling the spot vacated by John Browett in October 2012, Ahrendts will not only be in charge of brick-and-mortar locations, but will take on responsibility for Apple's Online Store. This expansion of duties gives the former Burberry CEO significant sway over Apple's incredibly lucrative retail operations.

Ahrendts has a strong background in retail leadership especially as it applies to fashion, having served as executive vice president at Liz Claiborne and president of Donna Karan International.

From Ahrendts' bio:
Angela holds a Marketing and Merchandising degree from Ball State University in Indiana, where she was awarded an honorary doctorate in 2010. She is also a member of the UK's Prime Minister's Business Advisory Council and was named honorary dame commander of the British Empire in April 2014.
Ahrendts comes to Apple at a pivotal time as the company ramps up for a major retail push in Asia, specifically China where the potential for growth is enormous. Over the next two years, Apple plans to triple the number of Apple Stores in Greater China, adding 26 new outlets to the region by 2015.

Prior to today, it was not known when Ahrendts would officially join Apple in Cupertino. During Apple's quarterly earnings conference call last week, Cook hinted that the new head of retail would start work soon, saying "I'm looking forward to welcoming our new retail and online leader, Angela Ahrendts, who will be joining Apple's Executive Team next week."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    jamesmcdjamesmcd Posts: 68member

Finally some diversity on the Apple leadership page :)

(not the old wooden ship...)

• Reply 2 of 56
    Still have no prominent minority
  • Reply 3 of 56
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
  • Reply 4 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Do you HONESTLY think that Apple actively avoid hiring minorities? Do you not think they attempt to hire the best possible candidate for the position? The vast majority of people in this sector are male, and white. Also, the majority of Apple's leadership have been with Apple a LONG time, since the NEXT days. Or do you think Apple should just get rid of one of them and hire a minority for the hell of it, letting that superficial aspect take priority over everything else? Who gives a shit what the racial breakdown is from Apple's TINY leadership team? All anyone should care about is the the people there are the best at their jobs and the position. Your mentality astounds me. 

• Reply 5 of 56
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Leave your politics out of my retail experience.

All I want is someone who will take Apple's retail operation to new heights, and provide a world class experience for Apple customers, and not go on a cost-cutting rampage like Browett.

I don't care what they look like.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple store in Ireland please, Angela. Long time coming. We need at least 3, but 1 will get us started.
  • Reply 7 of 56

Who gives a shit whether they're women, men or Mexican, all that matters is are they good at their job. It's refreshing seen a woman on bios, but by far and away the important point here is just how impressive she is as a person. It's her results and how she thinks which I find most impressive. She's a visionary and quite unique indeed. Look her up on YouTube and TED.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    ireland wrote: »
    Apple store in Ireland please, Angela. Long time coming. We need at least 3, but 1 will get us started.

Good request-not greedy!
  • Reply 9 of 56
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

"and was named honorary dame commander of the British Empire in April 2014."

Yet Jonathan Ive's page does not mention that he was awarded an actual Knight Commander of the British Empire...:/

• Reply 10 of 56
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Yay! Welcome aboard. Perhaps the first order of business could be changing the name of the Genius Bar to something less pretentious. I love Apple, their products, and their philosophy. However, let's face it: Calling their service desk a "genius bar" only serves to put off potential customers, and gives fuel to the Apple haters that say the company and its customers think they're better than everyone else. Thinking/ knowing you're better is one thing, but letting the world know you think that is not usually the best idea.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    moreck wrote: »
    Yay! Welcome aboard. Perhaps the first order of business could be changing the name of the Genius Bar to something less pretentious. I love Apple, their products, and their philosophy. However, let's face it: Calling their service desk a "genius bar" only serves to put off potential customers, and gives fuel to the Apple haters that say the company and its customers think they're better than everyone else. Thinking/ knowing you're better is one thing, but letting the world know you think that is not usually the best idea.

It says their service techs are better, and they are.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ireland wrote: »

One big store is all you need, one can drive clear across the country in no time at all.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Getting involved in politics has killed way to many companies. Besides the whole company is ran by a minority now.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

I don't care what they look like.

Which is the real absence of minority views, not the "let us make stats" one.
    Also, this person is really incredible... I hope Apple benefits from this hire as much as it sounds it could!
  • Reply 15 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Angela's bio mentioned that she was made an honorary dame, but Jony's doesn't mention his knighthood. I think Apple needs to update his bio page.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    wizard69 wrote: »
    One big store is all you need, one can drive clear across the country in no time at all.

Irish roads? No thanks. Huge inconvenience to get a genius to look at your iPhone, but it'll be a start.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    While there is no direct correlation between retail and developers, I hope that Angela plays a role in the coming WWDC -- she is an engaging and inspiring speaker.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    While there is no direct correlation between retail and developers, I hope that Angela plays a role in the coming WWDC -- she is an engaging and inspiring speaker.
    I would rather she come on stage at a later date when she can talk about her plans for Apple retail/online. I'm not sure WWDC is the place for that or that she could lay out that vision only having been at Apple for a month or so. While I think she'd probably be more interesting to listen to than Cook, giving her a very public role right away would just create a lot of media speculation that she's being groomed for the CEO job and Cook's days are numbered.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

Very impressive credentials. I'd bet that as a Dame Commander of the British Empire she gets direct access to the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.  Perhaps she and Jony get to take turns taking it home for the weekend to impress friends, neighbors, and prepare for the inevitable rabbit attack.

• Reply 20 of 56
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I would rather she come on stage at a later date when she can talk about her plans for Apple retail/online. I'm not sure WWDC is the place for that or that she could lay out that vision only having been at Apple for a month or so. While I think she'd probably be more interesting to listen to than Cook, giving her a very public role right away would just create a lot of media speculation that she's being groomed for the CEO job and Cook's days are numbered.

Good points!

But, at least she'd have her shirt tucked in.