Apple will not unveil 'iWatch' or next-gen Apple TV at WWDC - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2014
Consumers hoping Apple chief Tim Cook would take advantage of next month's Worldwide Developers Conference to announce the hotly-anticipated "iWatch" or long-awaited Apple TV revamp are likely to be disappointed, as the event will reportedly not include debuts for either of those new products.

Apple's annual developer meeting will instead focus on software, according to Re/code. Specifically, Apple will push Mac OS X 10.10 and iOS 8 to the forefront, similar to what the company has done at WWDC in recent years.

Few details about the next iteration of Apple's now-13-year-old desktop operating system have emerged in the run-up to next month's event, though many expect the venerable software to receive an aesthetic overhaul similar to the one bestowed on iOS 7 by recently-crowned design czar Jony Ive. Also unknown is what name Apple will give OS X 10.10 after last year's switch from big cats to scenic California locations.

iOS 8, meanwhile, is expected to remain visually similar but receive a slew of refinements. Among those believed to be in the offing are new point-of-interest and public transportation options for Maps and a new "Healthbook" app designed to operate as a centralized hub for "quantified self" devices that interact with the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

The 2014 edition of Apple's Worldwide Developers' Conference kicks off at San Francisco's Moscone Center on June 2. AppleInsider will be on hand to provide live coverage from Apple's keynote address.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 163
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So Tim's comment about new products "across 2014" is sounding more like new products in September and October...again.
  • Reply 2 of 163
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    iOS 8??? iOS 7 just got stable.
  • Reply 3 of 163
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

That's ok. 

I think iWatch really needs to hit the ground running.   It should be what current wearables are not.  Stylish yet functional and more ambitious than say a Pebble or Galaxy Gear. 

The next Apple TV should support UHD/4K ,  offer an app store and additional functionality. 

• Reply 4 of 163
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Inevitably, someone will post that iOS 8 should have a "real file system" :)
  • Reply 5 of 163
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

I couldn't care less about an over-hyped watch - leave that to the Swiss.

• Reply 6 of 163
    jupit3rjupit3r Posts: 2member
    Inevitably, someone will post that iOS 8 should have a "real file system" :)

Looks like someone already has.. And it's not a bad implementation

• Reply 7 of 163
    delreyjonesdelreyjones Posts: 335member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So Tim's comment about new products "across 2014" is sounding more like new products in September and October...again.

Patience, grasshopper.  Good things come to those who wait.  Everybody else can buy Samsung ;=)

• Reply 8 of 163
    jupit3rjupit3r Posts: 2member
    iOS 8 concept posted here. Some things are much needed haha

• Reply 9 of 163
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

OF COURSE!  WWDC is for software mainly!  And, why would they use Developer conference for hardware new releases?

And, new category products, Apple will release in grand way!

//Dont tell me iWatch API is for developers.

• Reply 10 of 163
    Last year in a holiday memo to employees Cook said:

[QUOTE]We have a lot to look forward to in 2014, including some big plans that we think customers are going to love. [/QUOTE]

At some point Cook needs to put up or quit the tease. If all we get at WWDC is a redesigned OS X and iOS 8 with incremental updates that's not going to leave a lot of time to unveil these "big plans".
  • Reply 11 of 163
    chandra69 wrote: »
    OF COURSE!  WWDC is for software mainly!  And, why would they use Developer conference for hardware new releases?
    And, new category products, Apple will release in grand way!
    Apple announced iPhone 4 there, rMBP in 2012 and nMP last year. There is precedent for announcing hardware at WWDC, especially now that Apple doesn't participate in Macworld.
  • Reply 12 of 163
    sog35 wrote: »
    MacPro
    CarPlay

thats two already this year
    Haha you serious? Both of those products were announced last year. You can't call the nMP a new product for 2014 because shipping delays of a month or more made delivery spill in to 2014.
  • Reply 13 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I couldn't care less about an over-hyped watch - leave that to the Swiss.

They are still designing dials and running behind them to sue companies. Not a chance!

• Reply 14 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If Apple was going to preview a new product you think they would have leaked it?

OF COURSE NOT.

No one had any clue about the MacPro at last years WWDC.

May be... Phil say... "Do you want to have a peak at we are working on?"  showing iWatch and says.."Cant innovate anymore my $%^(*&^$%"

• Reply 15 of 163
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

iOS 8??? iOS 7 just got stable.

The only constant is change.

The fact that iOS8 won't even show up to consumers till September means you got 5 more months of stability, and 5 more after that if you so choose.   

• Reply 16 of 163
    Patience, grasshopper.  Good things come to those who wait.  Everybody else can buy Samsung ;=)
    You think it makes sense to announce nearly all of your new stuff in September and October? I have a hard time believing it's just coincidence that everything is ready at that time. I hope delays mean what Apple is working on is nothing like what people are expecting and it blows us all away, But in the meantime Apple TV is getting a bit long in the tooth. An update would be welcome even if they're not ready to unveil a much bigger plan. At least get it on par with what Amazon did.
  • Reply 17 of 163
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Yeah, Im hoping the next ATV will be a big jump. I always think about Steve's words about having "cracked" TV every time my parents call me to "fix" their television. (Fix = having pressed a button and now they can't figure out how to get back to cable. lol)

Me too.  Seriously thinking about "Cutting the cord"  after Game of Thrones concludes.   I think i'll be fine with Apple TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming.   I'll watch more sports locally. 

• Reply 18 of 163
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

May be... Phil say... "Do you want to have a peak at we are working on?"  showing iWatch and says.."Cant innovate anymore my $%^(*&^$%"

plausible.

Given that one can assume the 'really cool stuff' will be built into the iOS 8 release, showing off a wearable (maybe not an iWatch) at WWDC to show how it integrates is how to draw developers to the device (those that aren't currently under the tent.).  That's what WWDC is about... introducing stuff that makes Developers go 'Whoa.... I got to develop on/for that!'

• Reply 19 of 163
    water coolerwater cooler Posts: 150member
    Guys, thats a software event...do u want Apple to be always a hardware guy like Samscum? Or a software guy like Msft? Apple is both, chill!
  • Reply 20 of 163
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

As others have mentioned... Who ever expected new devices at WWDC? The DEVELOPERS conference is about software development. The Mac Pro last year was a big surprise. If there's any surprise this year, it'll be CarPlay, AppleTV, or Siri API announcements.