Google updates Maps app for Apple's iOS with new navigation options and Uber integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Search giant Google on Tuesday unveiled a major update to its native Maps application, adding a slew of new navigation features such as lane guidance and walking time as well as the ability to book a ride from car hire service Uber directly from the app.

Google's latest update to Maps is a boon for both drivers and commuters who use public transportation. Those who spend their time in a car, for instance, can now have the app's turn-by-turn directions feature tell them which lane to drive in based on their route.

Public transportation aficionados will find that walking time has been added to transit routing, and the app will automatically show the next scheduled bus or train departure. Those who prefer a car service, meanwhile, can access Uber directly from the route options display.

The app's search options have also been updated. Points of interest such as hotels and restaurants can be sorted by rating, and users can now search using their voice.

Other enhancements include the ability to save offline maps to a custom list, a redesigned navigation mode, a new scale bar, iPhone and iPad contacts integration, Google Account support for saving new places, and new pin dropping functionality to share or save locations.

Google Maps version 3.0.0 is available now as a free, 13.4-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I used Uber for the first time 2 weeks ago. The map they have embedded in their own iPhone app looks like it uses Google and it is pretty sweet because you can see where all of the near by rides are positioned and when your ride approaches you can see it live in real time.

I'll have to check out the new Google feature, but I'm curious why they bothered since the Uber implementation is so full featured already.

Anyway the Uber experience was good all around. I can certainly recommend it.

• Reply 2 of 51
    Apple really needs to step up with their maps system.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Yawn.  Perfectly happy with Apple Maps, thanks.

• Reply 4 of 51
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Well, they made the lines and street names thinner and more elegant, and lowered the contrast in iOS 7. What more so you want? /s
  • Reply 5 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Joseph Byun View Post

The only thing I’d wish for is saving to the NAND of a set of directions when not connected to the Internet. So that when you go and do something else and Maps falls out of the device’s RAM you can still go back and see how to get where you’re going.

• Reply 6 of 51
    lukefrenchlukefrench Posts: 102member

Forget NSA, Big Google is watching you !

Am I the only one that find that integration more than a little creepy ?

• Reply 7 of 51
    peterbobpeterbob Posts: 60member
    W
    lukefrench wrote: »
    Forget NSA, Big Google is watching you !

Am I the only one that find that integration more than a little creepy ?

What do you fund creepy about it?
  • Reply 8 of 51
    peterbobpeterbob Posts: 60member
    Google maps: still the best mobile application ever built.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Google Maps is irrelevant for iOS users now WWDC will introduce new Apple map features to put the last nail in Google map's coffin.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only thing I’d wish for is saving to the NAND of a set of directions when not connected to the Internet. So that when you go and do something else and Maps falls out of the device’s RAM you can still go back and see how to get where you’re going.

I believe, if you enter a search address and scroll down to the bottom, there is now a "save for Offline use" button.

I haven't tried this yet..

https://gigaom.com/2014/05/06/heres-the-button-to-save-google-maps-to-use-offline/

• Reply 11 of 51
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

I believe, if you enter a search address and scroll down to the bottom, there is now a "save for Offline use" button.

Oh, I mean Apple’s; sorry. Context didn’t show that.

• Reply 12 of 51
    nicwalmsleynicwalmsley Posts: 117member
    Still no terrain mode?
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Google Maps is irrelevant for iOS users now WWDC will introduce new Apple map features to put the last nail in Google map's coffin.
    You have really high hopes for a unannounced and unreleased update. Google maps is the defacto mapping program right now. Most iOS users use Google maps and don't even consider apple maps a real choice.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

You have really high hopes for a unannounced and unreleased update.

It’s… Apple. And yeah, it’s announced.

Google maps is the defacto mapping program right now.

Nope.

Most iOS users use Google maps and don't even consider apple maps a real choice.

Uh… nope.

• Reply 15 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s… Apple. And yeah, it’s announced.

Nope.

Uh… nope.

I have so many trolls on my "Block" list now, every time I open a new AI page it looks like a sea of shut posts by these people.

May be about time for you to be reinstated as a mod. ;) 

• Reply 16 of 51
    manfrommarsmanfrommars Posts: 104member

Apple gets spanked again.  I hope the Cook regime can keep up.  So far, no so good.

• Reply 17 of 51
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have so many trolls on my "Block" list now, every time I open a new AI page it looks like a sea of shut posts by these people.

May be about time for you to be reinstated as a mod. ;) 

TS is not impartial enough to be an effective mod, IMO.

• Reply 18 of 51
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Google is absolutely crushing everybody in the Maps arena. Is there anyone who can even compete with them here?

The amount of information and data they have is unparalleled.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

You have really high hopes for a unannounced and unreleased update. Google maps is the defacto mapping program right now. Most iOS users use Google maps and don't even consider apple maps a real choice.

Can you expand on that a little since you don't cite any proof? I, like many iOS users, haven't used Google maps for a couple years, now. I live in the tri-state area, and, for my use, Apple's maps have been flawless. I've used it for travels from DE to ME without a single problem. I even prefer it over the navigation system in my new Infiniti G50 because the UI is so much better, which, IMO, outweighs the benefits of the integration between nav & vehicle.

That's just me.

• Reply 20 of 51
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

Apple gets spanked again.  I hope the Cook regime can keep up.  So far, no so good.

If nothing else, Apple put a tremendous amount of pressure on Google to improve their product.  Google Maps on iOS has gotten a lot better since Apple Maps was released.  GM now has turn by turn directions, for example.  If it wasn't for Apple, I doubt we would have seen as many improvements this quickly.  So even if I don't like AM, I'm glad they're still working on it.