Moves app reneges on privacy promise, will share data with Facebook

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
When fitness tracking app Moves was purchased by Facebook in late April, both companies sought to allay worries of privacy-minded users by saying there would be no data "commingling" between the software and the giant social network. It appears the statement was only partially true.

It was discovered on Tuesday that Moves has quietly updated its privacy policy from last week to allow for data sharing with "Affiliates," including new parent company Facebook, reports The Wall Street Journal. The policy change was first seen on Monday.

Under the new terms, users' information can be shared with third-party companies to facilitate support and diagnostics, as well as other seemingly perfunctory functions.

"We may share information, including personally identifying information, with our Affiliates (companies that are part of our corporate groups of companies, including but not limited to Facebook) to help provide, understand, and improve our Services," the policy reads.

The language seems to contradict a notice posted to Moves' official website less than two weeks ago when the company announced its acquisition by Facebook.

"For those of you that use the Moves app - the Moves experience will continue to operate as a standalone app, and there are no plans to change that or commingle data with Facebook," the post said.

For its part, Facebook maintains that data commingling will not occur, a common fear for privacy advocates when a large data-driven company buys out a smaller service. Similar concerns were raised when Facebook purchased popular messaging app WhatsApp in February for $16 billion.

As for the new Moves changes, Facebook said the following in a statement provided to Mashable:

"Commingling, or merging, data would allow us to identify Moves users who are also Facebook users - we have no plans to do that. In other words, Facebook is not adding Moves user data to a Facebook user's Facebook account. But, Facebook will be providing support and services to the Moves app and to be able to do this, we have to have access to the data that Moves already collects from its users - which is 'sharing' data."

In order to support the provision and operation of the Moves app, Facebook will need to have access to the Moves data. Such support for Moves may include performing technical maintenance and developments of the service that improve the experience with the app."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Glad I deleted this app.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Glad I deleted this app.

Yeah, I read about it on Facebook.

• Reply 3 of 24
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    I really dislike Facebook.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ericboltericbolt Posts: 10member
    Deleted the app and my data when they announced.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Glad I deleted this app.

It's becoming a big problem avoiding FaceBook and other spies.

They gobble up the small social sites to add to their stable of victims.

Unfortunately the spy Apps and Web sites are increasingly rapidly. 

I refuse them access to my personal info and they refuse me access to anything of theirs!

• Reply 6 of 24
    soundvisionsoundvision Posts: 173member

You'd have to be an idiot to think a company like Facebook would spend all that money for a software purchase and not do what whatever they please with it.

• Reply 7 of 24
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    "we have no plans to do that" does not equal "we promise never to do that"

"They trust me — dumb fucks"

- Mark Zuckerberg
  • Reply 8 of 24
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Sounds totally honest to me:

"will continue to operate as a standalone app"... true, even if that means "for a short time after we transmit this statement"; still true.

"there are no plans to change that or commingle data with Facebook"... also true, even if those plans DID exist soon after.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    You'd have to be an idiot to think a company like Facebook would spend all that money for a software purchase and not what whatever they please with it.

Idiot's Doctor to nurse, "Prepare the app user for a high colonic... he's still got some data up there somewhere..."
  • Reply 10 of 24
    joe cooljoe cool Posts: 10member

Deleted the App as well. It's a shame, it was a good App.

• Reply 11 of 24
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Come iOS 8, I suspect this app was about to become highly irrelevant anyway.

Nike was smart enough to see that.

• Reply 12 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Moves can not guarantee squat once it becomes part of Facebook. What a silly point of even bothering to ``ensure current users.''

Current users are equally silly in assuming to ask, and should expect Facebook's Policies on data collection/sharing to be the only policy.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ericbolt View Post

Deleted the app and my data when they announced.

You deleted the data on your phone...they still have their copy.

• Reply 14 of 24
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Zuckerberg & Co lying and dissembling again.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    pinolopinolo Posts: 91member
    I never used it. But even if one does, just remember: switching to another app is a Breeze. (Made by the same guys that do runkeeper).
  • Reply 16 of 24
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Shocking! Oh wait.. Nope... Fully expected. Nothing to see here.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    You deleted the data on your phone...they still have their copy.
    There should be some kind of way to avoid this, such as a law that forces any company that has your data to surrender it to you in an open format and remove their copy at your convenience. After all:

- it is your data
    - if you agree to share it under conditions x and y, it should not be made your burden to adapt if the company changes them.

That would make FB's predatory behavior much less efficient. Right now, they pretty much can bank on the fact you invested time in the app/data, and keep that investment hostage...
  • Reply 18 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    People keep thinking they have choices, rights, and privacy, but that's not what the "free" in "free market" means. The "freedom" is in how much free reign corporations have to screw consumers and influence law.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    They are becoming like politicians - they change their promises in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    jinglesthulajinglesthula Posts: 239member

"We have no plans" is always a statement about the current reality.  If that reality changes after the statement is made (even 5 minutes after) that doesn't change the truth of the statement.

Scheduling a meeting to make data-sharing plans for 5 min. after posting the statement is both slimy and not surprising in the least.  Hey - it's Facebook!