My iPad2 is rubbish since last security download

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited May 2014

Since the last download, the screen locks up. A loud voice itemised all the software on my iPad and I couldn't shut it up. I cannot access any of my software. Any ideas anyone???? I love my iPad and can't do without it. Is this an underhand way of making me buy a new one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

Since the last download, the screen locks up. A loud voice itemised all the software on my iPad and I couldn't shut it up. I cannot access any of my software. Any ideas anyone???? I love my iPad and can't do without it. Is this an underhand way of making me buy a new one?

I know this isn't particularly helpful, but I just want to note that I also have a 2 and haven't had this problem, so at least it's not all 2s. Mine's a 16gb wifi only.

• Reply 2 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Wait, what ‘security’ download? You’re on iOS 7.1.1, right?

• Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

... A loud voice itemised all the software on my iPad and I couldn't shut it up...

huh???

• Reply 4 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

huh???

Accessibility options. Alex (or maybe Siri does it now) will read off what’s on the screen for the visually impaired.

• Reply 5 of 7
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member

Thanks Tallest Ski. A much more helpful comment than 'Huh!'. The issue is an unresponsive screen which no longer responds to tapping or swiping. I suspect an elecro-mechanical fault rather than a software issue - but how do I know?? A new iPad Air will be 'winging' it to me shortly.

As I live in deepest Wales (UK), with no neighbours, let alone no Apple store in sight, my options for repair  are limited - and an iPad 2 is after all an antique in Mac terms. I must stress that no neighbours + rural life and country walks is a pearl beyond price. AND the internet connection is fine!!!!

• Reply 6 of 7
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    greatrix wrote: »
    Thanks Tallest Ski. A much more helpful comment than 'Huh!'. The issue is an unresponsive screen which no longer responds to tapping or swiping. I suspect an elecro-mechanical fault rather than a software issue - but how do I know?? A new iPad Air will be 'winging' it to me shortly.
    As I live in deepest Wales (UK), with no neighbours, let alone no Apple store in sight, my options for repair  are limited - and an iPad 2 is after all an antique in Mac terms. I must stress that no neighbours + rural life and country walks is a pearl beyond price. AND the internet connection is fine!!!!

You could make a backup of your iPad and see if the behaviour you're experiencing now is still there after a restore. If so, install the iPad as a new one and restore apps + data afterwards.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766
  • Reply 7 of 7
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member

Thanks for the advice O helpful one. I will try that. My new iPad Air did wing it's way to me today as promised and I have installed it, but I will try to do as you advised. It couldn't hurt to have two iPads, one for work in the day,

and another to have by my bedside to write when I can't sleep at night.