Apple's iOS takes 93% share in enterprise apps; iPad takes 92% of business tablets

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2014
Enterprise mobile services vendor Good Technology reported that companies continue to prefer Apple's mobile platform, with iPhone and iPad share of business devices holding steady in dominating device share despite significant growth in the segment, and in particular, custom app development standardizing on iOS.

Good Enterprise OS 2014

Compared to the Good's previous quarterly report, iPhone now accounts for 51 percent of activated smartphones (down 3 percentage points over the previous quarter) while iPad accounted for 92 percent of tablets (up 1 percentage point) activated by the more than 5,000 companies using Good's services in the first quarter, giving iOS a 72 percent share of all mobile devices.

Good Enterprise devices 2014

Android phones were up by one percentage point over the previous quarter to account for 26 percent of phones, but made the opposite move in tablets, where the software distribution now accounts for 8 percent of new enterprise tablets.

"Windows Phone activations remain consistent with the four previous quarters and made up one percent of total activations," the company stated.

Good also noted that "tablets recorded twice the number of enterprise app activations versus smartphones this quarter, likely attributed to form factor." As is evident from the global shipments of devices compared to their appearance in usage stats, tablets are not being used or purchased like smartphones, creating an differentiated market segment that is having the most significant impact on conventional PCs.

Good Enterprise iPad 2014

Good provides push messaging, device management and security products for corporate mobile users, serving as an alternative to RIM's BlackBerry Enterprise Server. As such, Good supports mobile platforms outside of RIM's own, including Microsoft's Windows Mobile, iOS and Android. Three months ago, Good noted that, "as many organizations are migrating away from BlackBerry to meet end user demand and embrace newer platforms like iOS and Android, they are deploying Good's cross-platform solution to secure both their data and devices."

iOS apps at 93% as apps grow by 77%

In view of Apple's dominant 72 percent share of mobile devices, Good also pointed out, "not surprisingly, iOS enterprise app activations mirror the stronghold iOS continues to have on the device market and recorded 93% of total app activations this quarter."

The firm stated that "custom app activations grew 77 percent quarter over quarter, a significant jump in the 55 percent growth reported in Q4 2013.

"Other app categories that saw notable growth of over 100 percent quarter over quarter include mobile printing, notes and mobile unified communications, highlighting the growing trend of organizations moving beyond tasks like document editing and management and supplementing their mobile app strategies with more advanced, sophisticated apps."

Companies concerned about mobile security issues, but not deterred

Good cited a December report by the Ponemon Institute, which surveyed "IT and IT security practitioners with involvement in endpoint security," noting that "sixty percent of these respondents noted the biggest threat is the growing number of employees and others using multiple mobile devices in the workplace followed by the increase in personal devices being connected to the network."

However, "rather than be deterred by these security concerns, the data from this quarter's Mobility Index Report shows that Good's customers are taking steps to mitigate them," the company noted.

"They are prioritizing providing VPN-less access to enterprise data, while maintaining the highest level of security around that data, through secure browsing apps. And they are leveraging secure development platforms like the Good Dynamics Secure Mobility Platform to build containerized custom apps to meet the ever-growing mobile needs of customers, employees and partners, without compromising on security."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Simply not good enough, Apple. Low 90's? Is that all you can muster?

Seriously, that's pretty dominant.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    teaearlegreyhotteaearlegreyhot Posts: 1,002member

With iPad accounting for 92% of business tablets, that means there is only 8% share left.  How can Apple possibly increase their share of the market much more? Growth will be nearly flat!  Apple is doomed!

• Reply 3 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

that's not dominant. That rules.

• Reply 4 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

With iPad accounting for 92% of business tablets, that means there is only 8% share left.  How can Apple possibly increase their share of the market much more? Growth will be nearly flat!  Apple is doomed!

Business only take small % of total iPad sales.

• Reply 5 of 32
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Simply not good enough, Apple. Low 90's? Is that all you can muster?

Seriously, that's pretty dominant.

yeah?

• Reply 6 of 32
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

according to your logic then With Windows accounting for 90% of PC's , that means there is only 10% share left.  How can MS possibly increase their share of the market much more? Growth will be nearly flat!  MS is doomed!

• Reply 7 of 32
    darthwdarthw Posts: 62member
    Original poster was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    darthwdarthw Posts: 62member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    according to your logic then With Windows accounting for 90% of PC's , that means there is only 10% share left.  How can MS possibly increase their share of the market much more? Growth will be nearly flat!  MS is doomed!

fallenjt wrote: »
    Sarcasm people!!!
  • Reply 9 of 32
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Exactly what does this data mean - is it measuring the use of every iPad and tablet in the US or is it measuring the nature of devices making use of products purveyed by Good?

• Reply 10 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I was just settling in to watch Fight Club on HBO when I got an alert of a new DED article. Fight Club will just have to wait!
  • Reply 11 of 32
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    In the '80s and '90s business adaption of IBM compatibles drove a lot of the home market as a result. With iPhones, and especially iPads, it seems as if both the business and home markets are equally driving Apple products into wider use. Also, once anyone, or any business, begins to enjoy the Apple ecosystem, they are more likely to adopt it on a wider scale hardware-wise.

Here's something I'm hearing more and more - people with Windows 8.x are having a harder and herder time (1) finding their email attachments, (2) having their computers find a website they enter into the IE bar (it seems IE wants to do a Bing search on the address, rather then taking them to the site), and (3) having various words in their email text being turned into search terms unassociated with the email's context. It's as if words in a personal email are being compared to a previous search done on the same computer, and then those words are converted into links... it's total non-sense.

Now, if those Wiindows 8 users I hear from are any indication of the confusion and annoyance by Windows 8 users on the whole, then Microsoft has a user problem of growing proportion. Apple may gain due to the fallout.

Anyone else aware of the Windows problems I listed above??
  • Reply 12 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I was just settling in to watch Fight Club on HBO when I got an alert of a new DED article. Fight Club will just have to wait!
    God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars, advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Exactly what does this data mean - is it measuring the use of every iPad and tablet in the US or is it measuring the nature of devices making use of products purveyed by Good?

Likely more the latter than the former. However, if Good understands the market as a whole, they can then tweak the data to be meaningful more broadly.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Does this mean people, IT personel and enterprises that chose Android, chose a subpar product? Me thinks so! :)
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Where is the BB Playbook in this data? I mean, seriously, it boasted [I][B]REAL[/B][/I] multitasking and [I][B]REAL[/B][/I] support for Flash... How can it not be kicking Apple's butt??

And then there's Microsoft's awesome desk-top luggable, the Surface... Why is it sucking last place?? It offered more ports and connections than a half-dozen iPads could muster up - combined! Plus "[B][I]REAL[/I][/B]" multitasking, like watching a movie while creating a complex spreadsheet... AND it ran [B][I]REAL[/I][/B] Windows and [B][I]REAL[/I][/B] Windows software — which [B][I]EVERYBODY[/I][/B] knows [B][I]EVERYBODY[/I][/B] wants... No way can it be so broadly scorned? Just thinking about the Surface's awesomeness makes me want to jump onto a conference table and spin!

What's with this new Paradigm??? The old one got us to the end of the last century just [B][I]FINE[/I][/B]! Well, not so fine, but It was comforting to see Uncle Fester leading the iPhone funeral through the streets of Redmond, Donald Trump telling his mother, "You're Fired!" , and Kim Kardashian working on the size of her caboose. Now, I don't know what gonna happen next! Apple with the bulk of their markets... it's... it's... just [B][I]NOT RIGHT!![/I][/B]
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Does this mean people, IT personel and enterprises that chose Android, chose a subpar product? Me thinks so! :)

Some of that... IT has always chosen "cost to acquire" over "cost of use" because when the "cost of use" is high, it means a bigger IT staff which means a bigger corporate kingdom for the MIS manager. Another part of the story is BYOC (Bring Your Own Crap) to work.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Not from where I'm sitting. Two years ago I would have agreed with you 100%.

Nowadays, no way. Last year our department bought a handful of tablets for one project. Mostly iPads, but also a mix of Samsung, Microsoft, and Google tablets for evaluation. The project ended up settling on iPads as their one standard model, effectively walking away from Android and Windows tablets. There were many interrelated reasons for doing that, but the big ones were: the better programming environment, the simpler UI (the end users were not computer-fluent, and Windows 8 in particular is not user-friendly, while Samsung Android and Google Android are fairly different from a user's perspective, and neither is as intuitive as iOS), and the wider range of protective case and security lock options (compared to any individual Android tablet or line).

Now other projects are evaluating tablets instead of laptops or desktops, and are making the same choices for the same reasons. (To be honest, I'd guess that some project heads are simply deciding to let the pioneers do the hard research and just aping what they did. Everything's already set up, justifications are much easier to make to the boss, purchases are trivial, etc.) By the end of this year, our department alone will buy thousands of iPads, and zero Android or Windows tablets. Many TIMES the number of iPads that our employees have bought personally.

From talking to others across our organization, this same process is happening in departments all over.

My prediction is that within the next two years, business tablet purchases will massively outstrip personal tablet purchases, just as business PC purchases far outdistance personal PC purchases. And in the business world, the go-to tablet will be iPad, with adherents of Android and Windows tablets having a steeper and steeper uphill fight.

• Reply 18 of 32
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Some of that... IT has always chosen "cost to acquire" over "cost of use" because when the "cost of use" is high, it means a bigger IT staff which means a bigger corporate kingdom for the MIS manager. Another part of the story is BYOC (Bring Your Own Crap) to work.
    Good points, Macky. :)
  • Reply 19 of 32
    drewbeardrewbear Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaker's Ugly Brother View Post

Last year our department bought a handful of tablets for one project...The project ended up settling on iPads as their one standard model, effectively walking away from Android and Windows tablets...Now other projects are evaluating tablets instead of laptops or desktops, and are making the same choices for the same reasons...By the end of this year, our department alone will buy thousands of iPads, and zero Android or Windows tablets.

My prediction is that within the next two years, business tablet purchases will massively outstrip personal tablet purchases...And in the business world, the go-to tablet will be iPad, with adherents of Android and Windows tablets having a steeper and steeper uphill fight.

This process is probably happening in large companies around the world; likewise in schools. iPad sales did not peak and start a long decline in its 3rd & 4th year. Sales growth simply paused briefly before the next surge.

• Reply 20 of 32
    teaearlegreyhotteaearlegreyhot Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

*Sigh*  

Pardon me, I forgot the "/s"