National September 11 Museum releases audio guide app for Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Visitors to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum will be able to use their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to take one of the three official, self-guided themed audio tours, once the museum opens its doors later this month.

According to the museum, each tour features stories from the day of the attacks -- September 11, 2001 -- as well as the recovery operation at the World Trade Center site. A descriptive tour of the museum itself, which opens on May 21, is also available.

The Robert De Niro-narrated "Witnessing History" tour guides visitors from the perspective of first responders, recovery workers, members of the victims' families, journalists, and other witnesses. A "Discovering History" tour is designed for children from 8 to 11 years old, while a "Building History" tour discusses the architecture, design, and archaeological remnants of the original World Trade Center and the museum.

"Witnessing History" is available in American Sign Language, Mandarin Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish, while the other tours are available only in English. The app also supports Apple's VoiceOver functionality for easy navigation by visually impaired visitors.

The audio guide app accompanies the previously-released memorial guide, which helps visitors to the memorial plaza locate the names of friends and loved ones.

The 9/11 Museum Audio Guide is available now as a free, 3.5-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'd be surprised if they don't also have an Android version.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I notice that a few crappy groups are objecting to a certain film that is being shown at this museum.

It's good to see that the museum has decided not to pander to any groups who are allergic to the truth, and the museum will not be changing the film in order to accommodate any censorship loving people who wish to rewrite history. If anybody is offended by this museum, then good, they deserve to be offended.

Maybe I'll visit myself one day, as I am in the area.

• Reply 3 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    I'd be surprised if they don't also have an Android version.
    http://www.rubensteintech.com/work/9-11-memorial-memorial-guide.html
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

The Memorial Guide app is not the same as the audio guide app. They are two different downloads.

That said, it is probable that there will be an audio guide app for Android (and maybe Microsoft Phone) when the memorial opens.

• Reply 5 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I wonder if there is any discussion or acknowledgement of US foreign policy and meddling which contributed to the growth and attraction of terror groups which led to this event? Without examinination and understanding of causes, events viewed in isolation give a distorted historical perspective.

http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report_Exec.htm
  • Reply 6 of 12
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Hard to believe on 9/11/01 iPods did not exist. It's a different world.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    I wonder if there is any discussion or acknowledgement of US foreign policy and meddling which contributed to the growth and attraction of terror groups which led to this event? Without examinination and understanding of causes, events viewed in isolation give a distorted historical perspective.

Hm, this is about a singular event, the victims and the people who helped when it was needed. It is valid even without all the context. The people suffering there had little if anything to do with more than half a century of often doubtful foreign politics. There are certainly other places and audiences to address this.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Hard to believe on 9/11/01 iPods did not exist. It's a different world.

It is hard to believe. They did exist, but were in Ive's lab on that date.

• Reply 9 of 12
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

I misread this headline as meaning that there was a guide for iOS. It is worthy of being in a museum, of course (in the best possible way).

• Reply 10 of 12
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It is hard to believe. They did exist, but were in Ive's lab on that date.

Who cares? Did you know what an iPod was?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member

http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report_Exec.htm

you're 100% correct. get ready to be vilified for 'being political in a tech thread'.

for everyone else, there's truth...

ok, sorry, They Hate Our Freedomz®, everyone else feel better now? $2 trillion later, nothing has changed, except for about 15k dead americans, universal surveillance and 1.5 million dead folks in the middle east.

Oh and record profits for Boeing, Northrup Grumman, Halliburton, Exxon (is your gas cheaper than in Sept 2001? I thought not), Blackwater, et al...

"everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Once again, those of us who fly in airplanes and drink good wine are recognized as superior to the bus station crowd who are busy comparing tattoos and swilling beer...