2012 15" mbpr - OSX upgrading/updating ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited May 2014

This is my first mac back from a run with windows computers and have updated the OS like I would on the iPhone or iPad. My question is that usually in the windows environment, performance is seen with a fresh install... so is the case the same with MAC?

When the next installment of OSX is released, should I fresh install? or is performance the same with a simple update?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    p5cho6 wrote: »
    This is my first mac back from a run with windows computers and have updated the OS like I would on the iPhone or iPad. My question is that usually in the windows environment, performance is seen with a fresh install... so is the case the same with MAC?

When the next installment of OSX is released, should I fresh install? or is performance the same with a simple update?

Performance doesn't degrade with OS X over time. Windows uses a registry and the more applications are installed, the more this gets bigger and slows things down. A fresh install with Windows gets rid of the clutter. On OS X, there is no such clutter so it doesn't slow down over time.

With SSDs, you might not notice as much slowdown in Windows either but on OS X, a fresh install is not needed.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Performance doesn't degrade with OS X over time. Windows uses a registry and the more applications are installed, the more this gets bigger and slows things down. A fresh install with Windows gets rid of the clutter. On OS X, there is no such clutter so it doesn't slow down over time.

With SSDs, you might not notice as much slowdown in Windows either but on OS X, a fresh install is not needed.

It isn't supposed to be much of an issue on Windows 7 and beyond. I haven't personally encountered the slowdown issue since at least XP.