Atom-sized, bendable graphene touchscreen tech seen as potential key for future Apple devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Rigid glass touchscreens may give way to bendable, foldable portable displays in the future, thanks to utilizing graphene --?an advanced technology that has generated interest from Apple, Samsung and others.

A sheet of rippling graphene, via university of Texas at Austin.

A pair of reports in the last week have highlighted graphene as a material with the potential to revolutionize the technology industry. While graphene could power semiconductors and advanced circuitry decades in the future as technology improves, the most immediate implementation would be touchscreens.

Michael Patterson, CEO of Graphene Frontiers, said in an interview with Fortune that graphene in sheet or film form has "incredible potential for electronics" that will take time to develop. But in the short-term, he believes graphene could be used for basic touchscreens in the next six to 12 months.

In a separate piece, Bloomberg went a few steps further, and suggested that graphene could be used to create flexible displays for portable devices. Author Jungah Lee noted that Apple specifically mentions the use of graphene in at least two patent applications, while its chief rival Samsung has 38 patents and at least 17 applications that make note of using graphene.

Graphene device concept, via Inmesol.

The report suggested that graphene could be a key technology if Apple or some other company were to develop "bendable smartwatches or tablets that fold up into smartphones."

In sheet form, graphene is just one atom thick and is made of pure carbon. It's an excellent conductor of electricity and is especially strong for its light weight, estimated at 100 times more durable than steel.

In addition to being strong and conductive, it's also flexible and transparent. That's why the material could be "ideal for bendable touchscreen displays," according to Bloomberg.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Apple and Samsung are behind this.

So, who owns this technology now?  Whoever buys the royalties or whoever buys the inventor?

Or, to whom ever the inventor gives royalties to?

• Reply 2 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Ah, graphene. There’s not much you can’t do. And what you can’t, graphyne takes care of. Also stanene.

• Reply 3 of 32
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

I still fail to see the point of a flexible screen if the parts behind it aren't flexible as well.

• Reply 4 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Okay, its flexible and transparent. But nobody but a surgeon wants to handle something one atom thick (it'd slice right through you), so there's going to have to be something the graphene is adhered to, plus all the layers of circuitry that create a display. You know, LEDs LCDs, or whatever that emits the light for each pixel. Are those bendable too? Nope. There seems to be a huge gap in understanding between curved displays (a display created on a curved surface) and usefully bendable displays (which goes well beyond that recent Android phone with a curved display that you could flex a little bit). I doubt that grapheme, on its own, takes us more than an imaginary step toward truly bendable [read: foldable] displays.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    gregnacugregnacu Posts: 29member
    I imagine this tech would make creating curved screens easier. Even though the device's background hardware isn't flexible, this would make it easier to curve the screen on top of it. Still not too useful on an iPhone. But It'd be great to have a desktop monitor that's 3 feet wide and curved around you.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Exciting! Not only will future displays have to deal with glare from the front, they'll be transparent so they'll have to deal with glare from behind!

Of course, we all know what has Apple interested in this tech: the display layer is ONE ATOM thick. Jony Ive just got wood. :D
  • Reply 7 of 32
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Only if Apple could get its hands on it before Shamesung
  • Reply 8 of 32
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    YAY! More technology for Apple to sue Samsung over! I can't wait!
  • Reply 9 of 32

I like the sound of this.

Whatever the material ends up being, I think there will be flexible, rollable, foldable, or even crunchable materials allowing larger and easily stowed displays.

Something for our kids and grandkids in the future, so they regard the tech we have now as hopelessly outdated.

; )

• Reply 10 of 32
    dshandshan Posts: 53member
    Atom-sized displays! How are my aging eyes supposed to read them! I have enough trouble already with the rotten iOS 7 font and white text...
  • Reply 11 of 32
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    popnfresh wrote: »
    YAY! More technology for Apple to sue Samsung over! I can't wait!
    Why are you posting again?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    helia wrote: »

Someone is going to have to supply Apple with those atom thick sheets!
  • Reply 13 of 32
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Someone is going to have to supply Apple with those atom thick sheets!

Shouldn't it be the Graphene Frontiers or am I mistaken?

• Reply 14 of 32
    helia wrote: »
     Shouldn't it be the Graphene Frontiers or am I mistaken?

No idea who they are. Companies that do R&D aren't necessarily also manufacturers.

Can they mass produce them to Apple's specifications and quality demands?
  • Reply 15 of 32
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, graphene. There’s not much you can’t do. And what you can’t, graphyne takes care of. Also stanene.

Aren't those 2 characters in Game of Thrones...

• Reply 16 of 32
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Probably take years before we see this in a smaetphone not 6-12 months
  • Reply 17 of 32
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

"...tablet that folds up into a smartphone..." is the new Jet Pack.

• Reply 18 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Graphene production looks as tho it [I]might[/I] have some environmental negatives that need to be figured out
    http://www.kurzweilai.net/graphenes-negative-environmental-impacts
  • Reply 19 of 32
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    I
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Probably take years before we see this in a smaetphone not 6-12 months

I suppose you'd know
  • Reply 20 of 32
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helia View Post

Apple generally doesn't do pioneering level R&D, they do top notch engineering level R&D

I don't know of anything whatever Apple has to do with graphene because they generally don't manufacture semiconductors or do anything  in nanotechnology manufacturing.

Quite a few nano scale firms can make graphene, but I believe Samsung is the furthest ahead in developing commercially viable methods.

Where Apple tends to get in the game is after that.  Once Samsung has it and can make it at a commercial scale, then what?  Hey, Graphene!!  Apple will put a lot of though and work into what can be done with it, find new ways to apply and use the technology, and then patent the hell out of every possible scenario of usage they can come up with.