Facebook's iOS app now listens for identifiable TV & music when posting status updates

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Facebook on Wednesday launched a new, optional feature that allows its iPhone application to use the device's microphone to listen for and identify television and music content when posting a status update.

The new feature will make it easier for users to say that they are watching a particular show or listening to a certain song, then share that information with their friends. Upon updating the Facebook app, users are presented with an explanation as to how the feature works, and are given the option to turn it on.

To utilize the new listening option, users can begin to create a status update, then click the "mood" icon. The app will then begin listening to identify any content playing, and users can then select the song or TV show to quickly share it with their friend.

If a user decides to turn off the feature, they can do so by tapping the audio icon at the top right of the screen. But if the functionality is left on, the audio icon will move and attempt to detect a match when a user is writing their status update.

Facebook says that none of the sound data is saved, and users are given the choice whether to share with their friends once content is identified.

The update will also allow friends to hear a 30-second preview of a song once it has been posted to Facebook, while television matches will detail the specific season and episode being viewed.

Such capabilities have been present in iOS applications for years, but Wednesday's update marks the first time that Facebook has entered the fray. One of the most well known sound identification applications is Shazam, which Apple is rumored to be partnering with for a new Siri "Song ID" feature in iOS 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,653member
    While optional, one more intrusion into our privacy. And I find it hard to believe that they won't save this data and create a rating service out of it, since Facebook's sample sizes will be far larger than anything Nielson does. So one more way for Facebook to make money out of privacy intrusion.

But most people who use Facebook probably won't care. People are frequently post every trivial aspect of their lives and don't mind tell us where they are at any given moment aren't going to care if Facebook reports what TV show they're watching.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Yes. Please opt into our 'feature' that Really Really wants to know Exactly what your 'status' is.

Creepy.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Facebook can't even develop a stable app that makes sense and is aesthetically pleasing. Why would I now want to add a feature that's listening to me?
  • Reply 4 of 31

This is creepy

• Reply 5 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

how about making it easy for me to view my feed chronologically ("Most Recent"), ala a preference? you know, a feature people actually want?

• Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:

users are given the choice whether to share with their friends once content is identified.

In other words, even if you opt-out, FB will evesdrop. And who knows what they'll use the data for. The only option they are giving you is whether to post the info on your page.  This is TRULY evil. You would almost think Google had bought FB.

Furthermore, with the app running in the background on your iOS device, FB will be CONTINUOUSLY monitoring your microphone (and camera, soon, no doubt).  During your daily activites. During your private conversations.  During your sleep-walking.  During your intimate activities.

• Reply 7 of 31
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

• Reply 8 of 31
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    2 Evils
    Facebook
    Google

Both making news today.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

how about making it easy for me to view my feed chronologically ("Most Recent"), ala a preference? you know, a feature people actually want?

Exactly, the feed sucks so bad. Everyone says this. Also, updates that show up until you go into an item? They cannot mange real time updates.

• Reply 10 of 31
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Quote:

users are given the choice whether to share with their friends once content is identified.

In other words, even if you opt-out, FB will evesdrop. And who knows what they'll use the data for. The only option they are giving you is whether to post the info on your page.  This is TRULY evil. You would almost think Google had bought FB.

Furthermore, with the app running in the background on your iOS device, FB will be CONTINUOUSLY monitoring your microphone (and camera, soon, no doubt).  During your daily activites. During your private conversations.  During your sleep-walking.  During your intimate activities.

I thought you had to allow the application to use your mic in iOS. I have had more than one program have to ask with a system dialog. The camera and mic are protected resources like your contacts.

• Reply 11 of 31
    Awesome! Now people can more easily post what they're doing while recipients of said posts won't actually be able to see it because FB's feed sucks a$$. Good job FB! Way to get yourself into a position to gather and sell more of everyone's habit information, without at least providing them something worthwhile in exchange.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,066member

i still can't get over the fact that people think their lives are so important that they feel the need to share everything.

• Reply 13 of 31
    danielchowdanielchow Posts: 135member
    what if it detected a farting sound?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member

How long until this app and others listen in without your permission? (Samsung "smart" TVs already do it.)

• Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

i still can't get over the fact that people think their lives are so important that they feel the need to share everything.

No, I think it's rather the reverse.  My life is so important that it's worth protecting my privacy.

• Reply 16 of 31
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Another perfect example of going too far with unnecessary features.

Of course it will be used to collect marketing data. That ALL Facebook is FOR!
  • Reply 17 of 31

Most of you on here are ignorant.... you have to OPT-IN... meaning if you don't want the feature... just ignore it...

How easy can it be?

It's not an "invasion of your privacy".... it's an option for those who want iOS to auto-detect what they are listening to instead of manually searching for it. A majority of the time I don't put what i'm listening to because I don't want to do the manual search. This would definitely make it easier.

However, your ignorance and stupid argument of invasion of privacy proves that a majority of consumer do not know how to use the products they purchase.

#ignoranceisnotbliss #endsoapbox

• Reply 18 of 31
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ray Castillo View Post

Most of you on here are ignorant.... you have to OPT-IN... meaning if you don't want the feature... just ignore it...

Yeah because it's not like Facebook would ever change their privacy policy or create apps that don't breach that policy...

Facebook Privacy Policy Changes 2005-2010

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/facebook-timeline

Facebook Apps Breach Privacy Policy

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2010/10/18/facebook-apps-breach-privacy-policy/

• Reply 19 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

This is creepy

Creepy looks at this and says, “Whoa! Not me, man; I have standards.”

Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

what if it detected a farting sound?

[Watching political commentary]

• Reply 20 of 31
    hopelesshopeless Posts: 65member
    Whoops, wrong post. Ignore this one :)