Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
New research by Counterpoint indicates that 87 percent of Americans upgraded to smartphones by the end of March, with Apple remaining the top vendor.

Counterpoint's Market Monitor quarterly tracker for Q1 2014 pegged smartphone growth at 7 percent over the previous year.

While Samsung sold the most handsets, Apple remained the top vendor of U.S. smartphones. Counterpoint Research Director Neil Shah told AppleInsider that Apple's iOS claimed 36.9 percent of U.S. smartphones sold in the quarter, outside of the Android (59.2 percent), Windows Mobile (3.6 percent) and Blackberry (0.3 percent) sales that analyzed by the firm.

Apple accounted for the largest share of smartphones for three of the top four U.S. mobile carriers: 52 percent at AT&T, 51 percent at Verizon Wireless, and 36 percent at Sprint, while taking the second place spot behind Samsung on the more value-oriented T-Mobile/Metro PCS with 24 percent.Apple remained the top vendor of U.S. smartphones

Counterpoint noted that among all U.S. smartphones, 75 percent were LTE, and added that Apple and Samsung together accounted for 70 percent of those LTE shipments.

Following the release of iPhone 5 in late 2012, Apple rapidly became the leading vendor of American LTE smartphones, despite arriving to the LTE party nearly two years behind Android.

Parallel data echoes the same findings

Earlier this month, comScore's MobiLens report presented similar data that assigned Apple 39 percent of U.S. smartphone sales for the quarter ending in March.

Data from comScore indicated that Apple maintained 2.7 percent growth in U.S. market share over the previous quarter, while Samsung's share grew by only 0.7 percent and the other vendors in the top five (HTC, Motorola and LG) each lost share.

First quarter data from Canaccord Genuity analyst T. Michael Walkley similarly indicated Apple's iPhone 5s remained the top selling phone on all four U.S. carriers.

In terms of measurable use, Chitika Insights web traffic report for April assigned Apple's iOS platform a 53.1 percent majority of all smartphone web traffic, while all Android devices combined amounted to just 44.5 percent, and Windows Phone and Blackberry combined took the remaining 1.8 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Where in the Counterpoint stats does it say that Apple has 87% of the US market?

This is what the Counterpoint article ACTUALLY SAID.

"According to latest research from Counterpoint%u2019s Market Monitor quarterly tracker program, USA smartphone market reached 33 million units at the end of Q1 2014. The smartphone market grew a modest 7% annually but now accounts for more than 87% of the total handset shipments, highest ever."

They weren't referring to Apple having 87% of the market, they said that the US smartphone market accounts for 87% of the TOTAL handset shipments.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Where in the Counterpoint stats does it say that Apple has 87% of the US market?

"According to latest research from Counterpoint%u2019s Market Monitor quarterly tracker program, USA smartphone market reached 33 million units at the end of Q1 2014. The smartphone market grew a modest 7% annually but now accounts for more than 87% of the total handset shipments, highest ever."

They weren't referring to Apple having 87% of the market, they said that the US smartphone market accounts for 87% of the TOTAL handset shipments.

We are not co-editing a Wikipedia article. I spoke with the analyst. I'm a journalist and you are posting an anonymous comment in forums.

Also: the article doesn't say Apple took 87% of the market. That would obviously be wrong. 

• Reply 3 of 43
    jakeu26jakeu26 Posts: 44member
    drblank wrote: »

I do believe you misread.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Re-read the title a few times. Pay attention to the comma. It might take some time but all will be revealed. I also had to go over it a few times. lol

• Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Re-read the title a few times. It might take some time but it will all be revealed. I had to go over it a few times. lol

Yeah, it's the comma that screws it up......

I know.  I speed read this stuff and that little comma gets lost easily.

I think he could have written the headline a little differently to avoid the easy mistake.

• Reply 6 of 43
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member
    So what you are really saying is iOS vs Android sales by OS on each carrier goes as follows:

AT&T: iOS 52% & Android 48%
    Verizon: iOS 51% & Android 49%
    T-Mobile: iOS 24% & Android 76%
    Spring: iOS 36% & Android 64%

What matters is not the device mfg but the OS. Since only one company makes iOS and many make Android devices. We certainly won't count Windows Phone or BB in this counting.

Bottom line is Android still gets huge sales and iphones are greatly helped by the low end iPhone 4/4S for Free or $.99.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

We are not co-editing a Wikipedia article. I spoke with the analyst. I'm a journalist and you are posting an anonymous comment in forums.

Also: the article doesn't say Apple took 87% of the market. That would obviously be wrong. 

I know, it's just that the headline could have been a little better written to avoid the mistake.  It's easy to not catch that little comma.  BTW, I got the quote from the link to the site you had listed.

• Reply 8 of 43
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Yeah, it's the comma that screws it up......

I know.  I speed read this stuff and that little comma gets lost easily.

I think he could have written the headline a little differently to avoid the easy mistake.
    That would get less clicks.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    raptoroo7 wrote: »
    So what you are really saying is iOS vs Android sales by OS on each carrier goes as follows:

What matters is not the device mfg but the OS. Since only one company makes iOS and many make Android devices. We certainly won't count Windows Phone or BB in this counting.

Bottom line is Android still gets huge sales and iphones are greatly helped by the low end iPhone 4/4S for Free or $.99.

1) You are counting WinPh and BB, but you're lumping them in with the Android totals. Why?

2) Android doesn't get any sales. It's a free OS. There are vendors using Android that get sales and Google sells services for certain Android devices but none of those are Android OS sales.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

AT&T and Verizon are the big networks and iPhone is slightly ahead on both. The other two networks are second tier so you would expect more Android sales there but the actual numbers sold are dwarfed by the sales of the top networks. So the numbers look pretty close until you factor in all the cellular enabled tablets. And, by the way, I think it is pretty well recognized that iPhones keep their value longer so there are many more old iPhones still in use than there are old Android smartphones. I suspect in overall numbers of phones still in use, iOS blows away Android, at least in the US, which is a contributing factor to the web stats disparity.

• Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

No, the OS doesn't matter because Android doesn't make money. LG, HTC and Samsung are competitors, not partners trying to rid the world of iPhones. 

Also, iPhone 4/4S don't amount to a large proportion of Apple's sales. They're just important in specific countries. 

One can remain in fantasy land and feel secure knowing that tons of low end feature phones running Android are "relevant" and Apple's profits are not. But it doesn't change the fact that Android is keeping Microsoft and BlackBerry irrelevant while doing nothing but losing money while Apple bleeds the rest of the industry dry. All the delusion is quite entertaining. It's like watching Mussolini squirm while hanging upside down, thinking he's ruling the world.

• Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

I know, it's just that the headline could have been a little better written to avoid the mistake.  It's easy to not catch that little comma.  BTW, I got the quote from the link to the site you had listed.

You'd have to be quite illiterate to be "confused" about the headline, the picture, or any other part of this article. 

Or obtusely unable to accept reality.

• Reply 13 of 43
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    You'd have to be quite illiterate to be "confused" about the headline, the picture, or any other part of this article. 

Are the insults really necessary DED?
  • Reply 14 of 43
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

What the f*ck is wrong with you.

• Reply 15 of 43
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Why does someone have to be "illiterate" because something quite normal happened? Our minds likes to 'complete' things for us. It happens every time we watch a movie/TV show, the action isn't as fluid as it seems to be. Our brain fills in the blanks. I misread things all the time, and if you say that you never do then you're a liar. Try diplomacy first before you attack someone.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    No, the OS doesn't matter because Android doesn't make money. LG, HTC and Samsung are competitors, not partners trying to rid the world of iPhones. 

Also, iPhone 4/4S don't amount to a large proportion of Apple's sales. They're just important in specific countries. 

One can remain in fantasy land and feel secure knowing that tons of low end feature phones running Android are "relevant" and Apple's profits are not. But it doesn't change the fact that Android is keeping Microsoft and BlackBerry irrelevant while doing nothing but losing money while Apple bleeds the rest of the industry dry. All the delusion is quite entertaining. It's like watching Mussolini squirm while hanging upside down, thinking he's ruling the world.

You're quite paranoid, aren't you?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Why does someone have to be "illiterate" because something quite normal happened? Our minds likes to 'complete' things for us. It happens every time we watch a movie/TV show, the action isn't as fluid as it seems to be. Our brain fills in the blanks. I misread things all the time, and if you say that you never do then you're a liar. Try diplomacy first before you attack someone.
    Agree.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

The title also caused me to take a double take.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

• Reply 20 of 43
    solipsismx wrote: »

I remember the time the topic was a iris scanner and you thought it was a retina scanner until I pointed it out to you.