Apple reportedly expanding in Sunnyvale, Calif. with seven-building campus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
A report on Wednesday claims Apple has agreed to lease a new campus in Sunnyvale that boasts a total of seven buildings, further expanding the company's operations beyond Cupertino and into surrounding areas.

View of Apple's reported Sunnyvale campus. | Source: San Jose Mercury News

Citing city documents and sources with knowledge of the matter, the San Jose Mercury News reports Apple's supposed agreement involves Sunnyvale Crossing, a 290,000-square-foot complex purchased and subsequently renovated into prime office space by real estate firm Lane Partners.

According to city planning documents, building permit applications for interior improvements have been taken out for all seven buildings on the site with Apple listed as a tenant in one 69,000-square-foot structure. Sources say the company is planning to take over all seven buildings, which are estimated to support 1,450 employees.

Word of the lease comes as Apple continues to build its gigantic Campus 2 headquarters in Cupertino, sometimes referred to as a "spaceship" due to its circular design. Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company plans to move into the new headquarters in 2016.

Apple has been expanding beyond Cupertino for years, with another large Sunnyvale lease signed in 2012 for a four-building campus accommodating 1,300 employees. Also in 2012, the company started construction of a campus in Santa Clara that will house 1,200 workers in a six-story building. Construction of the project was slated for completion this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Busy, busy, busy innovating and expanding - Dan W. is a busy man, well done. :)

• Reply 2 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Busy, busy, busy innovating</span>
    <em style="line-height:1.4em;">and</em>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> expanding - Dan W. is a busy man, well done. </span>
    :)

I just wish Apple would have more decentralization. Open some offices in Florida for example, spread the risk between sea level rise and earthquakes will ya!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I just wish Apple would have more decentralization. Open some offices in Florida for example, spread the risk between sea level rise and earthquakes will ya!

The Florida office didn't work out so well.

:D
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

Since psystar sold less than 800 mac clones, it's still a curiosity why they persisted and who funded their 4 year adventure in the legal system.

• Reply 5 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ECats View Post

Since psystar sold less than 800 mac clones, it's still a curiosity why they persisted and who funded their 4 year adventure in the legal system.

That brings back some memories.

Google, maybe? Probably not Samsung, that early…

• Reply 6 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    With all the latest news. I have a feeling Apple is planing something HUGE.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cali wrote: »
    With all the latest news. I have a feeling Apple is planing something HUGE.

WWDC is pretty huge. ????
  • Reply 8 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

;)

but a lot of the recent news seems fishy in a good way.

I have a feeling a new category is coming soon. Too much stuff going on behind the scenes. Exciting.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I have a feeling a new category is coming soon. Too much stuff going on behind the scenes. Exciting.

• Reply 10 of 17
    toukaletoukale Posts: 38member

They are not expanding, at least this is not the reason they are leasing those building.  They had to tear down some of their own buildings to build the "spaceship." As a result they had to move those folks in the meantime, so this is not really expanding when you think about it.

• Reply 11 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »

I remember that saga vividly but I was still UK based then, it never even register with me they were in Florida at the time.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Not a good move. Toyota's exit after almost 60 years in California is an indication of what's to come. Apple needs to get more geographically diverse and learn to operate across thousands of miles.
    Why? California has been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for years. As matters get worse, it'll target companies with deep pockets, particular high-tech. Companies that have most of the corporate eggs in a California basket will be in deep trouble.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by toukale View Post

They are not expanding, at least this is not the reason they are leasing those building.  They had to tear down some of their own buildings to build the "spaceship." As a result they had to move those folks in the meantime, so this is not really expanding when you think about it.

As far as I know, Apple was not occupying any of those buildings on the former HP campus.   If I'm correct, then you're incorrect.   Do you have any specific knowledge that Apple had workers in those buildings?   And even if there were, where are those workers right now, since the HP campus is completely under construction and no Apple workers can be there.  They would have already had to of been placed.

My question is whether this new space in Sunnyvale is temporary until the new campus is built or whether it's permanent.  

• Reply 14 of 17
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

You are correct, toukale is incorrect.

Apple was not occupying the Campus 2 property prior to construction.

My hunch is that Apple will always have a presence in neighboring cities, as a reminder to Cupertino that they could move if the city did not listen to Apple's interests. Of course, a separate facility in a neighboring town would also provide a limited backup plan in case of some sort of catastrophic event occurred at another property.

• Reply 15 of 17
    Originally Posted by toukale View Post

They had to tear down some of their own buildings to build the "spaceship."

They weren’t using the HP campus.

• Reply 16 of 17
    Apple already has facilities in Oregon, NC, Texas, Ireland, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

Apple already has facilities in Oregon, NC, Texas, Ireland, etc.

Florida, Israel...