Apple's Beats acquisition reportedly delayed over Dre and Iovine roles, valuation, more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
In what has become a daily routine, a Friday report offers further information on Apple's rumored deal to buy Beats Electronics, this time saying the agreement has been delayed yet again as the two companies hammer out final details.

According to Billboard, there are five things that could potentially be holding up the widely rumored deal, including early leaks to the press, terms of the arrangement and questions regarding the future roles of Beats cofounders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre.

Citing sources familiar with the companies' ongoing discussions, the publication reports one problem is that the supposed $3.2 billion deal would be Apple's largest acquisition to date, also making it the biggest for CEO Tim Cook.

Another source claims details of the agreement leaked too soon. Apple is notoriously tight-lipped about future plans, but in this case the company was "nowhere near ready" for news to break, being in the middle of determining exactly what assets will be acquired in the deal.

Third, a video posted to Tyrese Gibson's Facebook page shows the actor/model seemingly celebrating the alleged acquisition with Dr. Dre, whose real name is Andre Young. In it, Young proclaimed he would be the first billionaire in hip-hop.

Another question that has been discussed ad nauseam over the past two weeks is how Iovine and Young fit into the equation. A report from The Wall Street Journal noted the two executives could land senior positions in Cupertino if a deal were to go through, but such an "acqui-hire" is not guaranteed.

Finally, Billboard has heard deal terms regarding Beats Music, Beats' subscription-based streaming service, are hampering forward progress. The problem is reaching a proper valuation for the service, which could be a contentious issue given the involvement of backers like Warner Music Group.

Friday's report merely adds fuel the rumor mill and curiously comes with a disclaimer noting the publication's sources were previously wrong in saying an Apple-Beats announcement would come this week, by Monday or "Tuesday at the latest."

Billboard also floated reports that Beats cofounder Jimmy Iovine was in talks to join Apple as a special advisor to CEO Tim Cook, while running a think piece in which "Steve Jobs" biographer Walter Isaacson said the deal could be the future of Apple's television set aspirations.

For what it's worth, the publication's sources are now saying a deal will indeed happen and that everything will be cleared up "next week."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 217
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Maybe Apple would just buy Rido or Spotify instead
  • Reply 2 of 217
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    As long as they keep calling these unfounded rumors "reports"...
  • Reply 3 of 217
    First of all%u2026 I am not a religious nut and I own a pair of beats headphones, but it kind of bothers me that beats headphones have a 666 on the hinges -- two hexagon shape bolts and the b of beats slightly twisted. Also when you see these headphones promoted the have 3 pairs that display 666. I am hoping that this is just a coincidence or doesn't have any dark intentions. Again%u2026 I hope, but I fear something much sinister is going on. I am looking forward for comments.
  • Reply 4 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    [QUOTE]For what it's worth, the publication's sources are now saying a deal will indeed happen and that everything will be cleared up "next week."[/QUOTE]

And then when the next week comes and goes and nothing has happened we'll get reports that it's for sure happening the week after that. Wow this is becoming one big joke. :lol:
  • Reply 5 of 217
    I seriously just want this deal to go through so I can stop hearing about it all the time
  • Reply 6 of 217
    @Hugo Valasquez; I bought one of the first Apple 1 computers back in 1979. The price was $666.66. It didn't stop me from buying it, but I did pray over it before I used it.
  • Reply 7 of 217

According to <em>Billboard</em>, there are <a href="http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/6099227/five-things-apple-beats-deal">five things</a> that could potentially be holding up the widely rumored deal, including early leaks to the press, terms of the arrangement and questions regarding the future roles of Beats cofounders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre.

Let me add one more thing "that could potentially be holding up the widely rumored deal"... It's all click bait. There is no deal, nor has there ever been one in the works.

Tune in next week when the rumor is that the rumored deal fell through because of a rumored reason ... That will be followed by the rumored reaction from rumored management at Apple, and that now rumored negotiations are now on-going with another company, rumored to be Google, who is rumored to have out-bid Apple by a rumored $Billion.

Do you realize that rumor has lasted longer then some of last year's new Fall TV shows??
  • Reply 8 of 217
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

It was "next week" a week ago...

• Reply 9 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hugo Velasquez View Post

First of all%u2026 I am not a religious nut and I own a pair of beats headphones, but it kind of bothers me that beats headphones have a 666 on the hinges -- two hexagon shape bolts and the b of beats slightly twisted. Also when you see these headphones promoted the have 3 pairs that display 666. I am hoping that this is just a coincidence or doesn't have any dark intentions. Again%u2026 I hope, but I fear something much sinister is going on. I am looking forward for comments.

It's well known in Satanic circles that Apple is the tool of the anti-christ.  Jobs was messenger with the first ad.  Now Dre and Iovine (both commanders of the dark arts) will take their rightful places at the table and feast with Satan.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

• Reply 10 of 217
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Yawn...

• Reply 11 of 217
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Please stop posting about your religious neuroses. Save it for Church.
  • Reply 12 of 217
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Please stop posting about your religious neuroses. Save it for Church.

Jeez.. doesn't anyone have a sense of humor around here?

• Reply 13 of 217
    aicowaicow Posts: 18member

Appleinsider seems to be in love with Beats. Both MacRumors  http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/23/beats-apple-delay/ and 9toMac http://************/2014/05/23/beats-acquisition-could-be-delayed-for-a-variety-for-reasons-including-dres-early-announcement-video/?pushup=1 seem to suggest problems. Daring Fireball completely distrusts Billboard, and according to a post on Secret, all talks are over.

• Reply 14 of 217
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member

Maybe there is no real deal and it is just some PR that Beats audio needed. Let's suppose that if there is some talk going on than, and if the reason is Apple is mainly interested in Dre and Iovine, than the price that for $3.2 is ridiculous and in that case the WhatsApp valuation and the price FaceBook paid is nothing.

BTW, Apple hasn't been going up because of the Beats rumor, as some analyst claims it to be. The split is approaching and people are people want to get int the game, because there is going to be upswing on this stock after the split. There is still lot more juice left in this company, event after all the negativity from media. Also, the developer conference is around the corner and there will be some news there also.

So, let's just stop all the Beats rumor - The purchase never made sense and it never will.

• Reply 15 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

It's well known in Satanic circles that Apple is the tool of the anti-christ.  Jobs was messenger with the first ad.  Now Dre and Iovine (both commanders of the dark arts) will take their rightful places at the table and feast with Satan.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

"And... Yes Folks, Apple Basic is Free!" 

I can't read that without hearing Steve's voice.

• Reply 16 of 217
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Maybe Apple will get a better price?

Get this, Dr Dre isn't a real doctor!
  • Reply 17 of 217
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 96member
    Steps to an Apple rumor:
    1: report rumor as fact
    2: insist rumor is fact
    3: call anyone who defends sanity a fanboy
    4: when rumor doesn't come to pass, create new rumor explaining the delay
    5: insist rumor is fact...
  • Reply 18 of 217
    jchanjchan Posts: 4member

You are so going to hell now

• Reply 19 of 217
    aicowaicow Posts: 18member

I doubt Apple wants to work with someone that doesn't take Apple's culture seriously (especially its secrecy). And, I can't even see how Beats (Dr.Dre and Iovine) which is completely form without function would fit in Apple, who is all about a zen between form and function (Jony Ive).

• Reply 20 of 217
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Maybe Apple will get a better price?

Get this, Dr Dre isn't a real doctor!

I get it. The deal is off because Dr. Dre lied on his resume.