Updated Computers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was just looking at the apple store again, and this time I was looking under the educational discout section.

Turns out, the $100 off of the iBook, which was only for non-education purchases, is now for education purchases as well, ON TOP of the Ed discout.

Makes me think something is happening soon, or they just want to push LOADS of iBooks out there.

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    wow, that rules. man, i'm really tempted to pick one up. i've wanted an iBook for a while now, this is almost in the realm of possibility.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>wow, that rules. man, i'm really tempted to pick one up. i've wanted an iBook for a while now, this is almost in the realm of possibility.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but the sucky part is we probably assume that since there are so many discounts on it that it'll be updated soon - maybe a bigger display, maybe just internal stuff.

Andrew
  • Reply 3 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Whn do you expect it to be updated? It was just updated in October.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I would expect an update AT LEAST by MWTY in March which is a usual venue for *Book updates and presentations. I obviously won't complain if they speed bump the iBooks at MWSF seeing that I will but one right after it.

Who knows, maybe the Mhz of iMacs will be so high that 600Mhz for an iBook will be embarassing or something. Maybe just a simple 133Mhz bus will simply let them clock the processor faster without even getting faster chips.

But thats just wishful thinking. I highly doubt there will be any iBook updates until March.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'm not saying that this is going to happen, but what if MWSF brings an upgrade to every product?

We know that the 'G5' is highly predicted to make an appearance, so if it does come out, the iMac might move into the G4 range and the iBook would definitely need a major G3 bump to get back up to snuff.

I'm thinking that Apple is either really trying to push the iBooks out the door and taking a hit on their profit margins, or they are preparing for a new iBook revision which is due soon.

I just got a MacZone coupon in the mail for $100 any iBook (500 MHz or 600 MHz). If they match the education discount, that's an even FURTHER deal.

I'm thinking that its a definite possibility that the iBook may hit 700-800 MHz (G3).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Saying you shouldn't buy an iBook 'cause it'll be updated in March is absurd. Three months away. This logic only makes sense if you never actually want to buy something
  • Reply 7 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Whn do you expect it to be updated? It was just updated in October.</strong><hr></blockquote>

All they did was change a jumper setting and spec some slightly larger drives. Same MB, same optical, screen, etc... Still very nice, but it hardly required any development time.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>

All they did was change a jumper setting and spec some slightly larger drives. Same MB, same optical, screen, etc... Still very nice, but it hardly required any development time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, good point. But I still think that counts as an update. I agree with the people that say it'll be updated in March.