Beats Music gets price cut, free trial extension after Apple acquisition

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Hot off its acquisition by Apple, Beats Music announced in an update to its iOS app on Wednesday that new users can take advantage of an extended 14-day free trial period and decreased annual subscription pricing.

Beats Music

Beats Music version 2.1 is more about pricing and availability than new features, though the Apple-owned company managed to pack "tons" of bug fixes into its latest release. Perhaps more interesting than new features and pricing is the fact that Apple, or at least one of its soon-to-be subsidiaries, makes an app for rival smartphone platform Android.

According to Beats, first-time users can now test out the app and corresponding service for 14 days before making a decision to buy. Since the app launched in January, Previously, the sample period has been capped at 7 days.

In addition to doubling up on the trial period Beats Music has cut subscription pricing to $99.99 per year, down from $119.88 per year. The company previously marketed the subscription as a $9.99 monthly fee, but with the new price fees come out to roughly $8.30 per month.

Finally, Beats Music mentions a number of unnamed bug fixes that are included in the latest app version to ensure the experience "runs as smooth as silk."

Apple announced on Wednesday that it will acquire Beats Electronics and Beats Music for $3 billion. In a subsequent interview, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Beats Music's curated service represents a head start in subscription music streaming, something Cupertino has yet to roll out.

Beats Music is a free 17.2MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    justp1ayinjustp1ayin Posts: 213member
    Tried it earlier... I'm actually impressed by it. Let's see how I feel after a few days
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    No matter how hard they try. They can't stop us now.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    No thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nicwalmsleynicwalmsley Posts: 117member
    They are going to roll this service into iTunes, aren't they?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    Trying to buy a year's sub and when I press "manage account," I get sent to iTunes. C'mon Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

No thanks.

Thanks for enlightening us. Is there not a single thread you don't come in to spam?

• Reply 7 of 7
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member

Been wanting to try this but it isn't available in Canada... I hope now that it's an Apple subsidiary that may change be we don't have iTunes Radio either.