iOS 8 first look video: Apple's Health app and emergency Medical ID

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
One of the biggest new additions in iOS 8 is "Health," a new application that will serve as a central place for users to track and organize all of their health-related data. With it comes a new Medical ID that could help first responders make life saving decisions in the event of a medical emergency.

As seen in the video above, the Health app currently in the iOS 8 beta is divided into four sections: Dashboard, with overall metrics that will be presented as cards; My Health, where users can enter in data points manually; Medical ID, which allows users to enter information that might be needed in case of an emergency; and Sources, where apps can be granted access and compatible devices can be paired with an iPhone to automate the collection of some data.

The Health app is obviously basic in the first iOS 8 beta, as developers must now build apps and devices using the HealthKit application programming interface.

Update: In its current pre-release state, there is no way to view the Medical ID from the lock screen if the user does not have a passcode enabled, meaning a first responder would need to know to unlock the device and search for the Health app. If passcode is enabled, users can access the emergency call screen and tap the link to Medical ID in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Partners named by Apple include Nike, Fitbit, Wahoo Fitness, iHealth, and Withings.

Apple has also revealed it is working with the Mayo Clinic on an app with thresholds for patients' personalized healthcare parameters, allowing the hospital to be proactively contacted if certain data is at dangerous levels. And Epic Systems, which provides software for hospitals, has also begun developing integration with HealthKit.

iOS 8 is currently in beta for developer testing. It is expected to launch on iPhone and iPad this fall. AppleInsider will have continuing coverage of the iOS 8 beta test period throughout the summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Very cool technology. I am sure insurance companies will love access to all this data. :)

-kpluck
  • Reply 2 of 15
    justp1ayinjustp1ayin Posts: 213member
    kpluck wrote: »
    Very cool technology. I am sure insurance companies will love access to all this data. :)

-kpluck

I heard in iOS 9 you'll be able to airdrop STDs straight from your healthbook....

Also all info is stored on the phone I believe
  • Reply 3 of 15
    heryqkheryqk Posts: 4member
    "In its current pre-release state, there is no way to view the Medical ID from the lock screen."

That's actually inaccurate. If you slide to unclock and tap Emergency on bottom left, you can see your Medical ID information (if you have entered some in the Health App).

It's not easy to access but it's there.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Just a heads up, you actually can access the emergency card from the lockscreen, but only if it is passcode-enabled (seeing as you can get to it from the emergency call menu).
  • Reply 5 of 15
    heryqkheryqk Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Health app is obviously basic in the first iOS 8 beta, as developers must now build apps and devices using the HealthKit application programming interface. In its current pre-release state, there is no way to view the Medical ID from the lock screen.

That's actually inaccurate. If you have filled out your Medical ID profile, you can go on lock screen, slide to unlock. On bottom left, tap Emergency. On the bottom left, you will see a link to Medical ID.

I'll admit it's a bit convoluted, but it's there.

• Reply 6 of 15
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

The whole health warning monitoring is like ADP Security for your heath indicators. Someone in some room will be monitoring you health parametric and could call an ambulance for you before you even know you are going to collapse.

So what happen when systems fails to notify the monitoring company or a human fails to keep track of you.

• Reply 7 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

-kpluck
    I think it could be huge for insurance companies and healthcare providers. Anything that can make the process easier when going to the doctor/hospital is fine with me. :)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

As a senior citizen I definitely want an app like that.  The only problem is I'd probably have to type in all that info manually unless hospitals came up with a standardized form you could scan results from.  Anyway, it seems like a good start.  This is something Apple really needs to push because it seems it could be very useful to so many parties.  Some medical companies needs to come out with some multipurpose body-sensor devices that can interface with hand-held devices.  I'm guessing Samsung's health software is pretty much the same.

• Reply 9 of 15
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member

It all be interesting to see exactly how much information will be available throughout the MedicalID.  I'm thinking a stolen iPhone...

• Reply 10 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    <strong>Update:</strong> In its current pre-release state, there is no way to view the Medical ID from the lock screen if the user does not have a passcode enabled, meaning a first responder would need to know to unlock the device and search for the Health app.

Not a big deal if they have Touch ID enabled, assuming the unconscious patient isn't currently having a seizure or the reason medical professionals were called before their Touch ID fingers were mangled or bitten off in some way.

j2fusion wrote: »
    It all be interesting to see exactly how much information will be available throughout the MedicalID.  I'm thinking a stolen iPhone...

That's my concern, too. I want this more to have all my stats recorded so I can map out patterns, send to my doctor, and get warnings for any potential issues like a Check Engine light on a car's dash.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Or decline your coverage.
    rogifan wrote: »
    I think it could be huge for insurance companies and healthcare providers. Anything that can make the process easier when going to the doctor/hospital is fine with me. :)
  • Reply 12 of 15
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    It looks like you can only be of a positive blood type on the medical card. It will not save negative blood types.. for me at least.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macrr wrote: »
    It looks like you can only be of a positive blood type on the medical card. It will not save negative blood types.. for me at least.

I can select it. Delete that field and/or kill the app and try again.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member

-kpluck

I remember reading a guess that Apple might team up with insurance companies to provide contracts for iPhones and iPads in return for being able to monitor medicine use.
  • Reply 15 of 15

I use MedicAlert. It would be great if MedicAlert had an app that interfaced with Health. Maybe even Microsoft HealthVault which I also have my medical records stored in as well. When you have several complicated medical conditions and are taking a large number of medications including blood thinners this information is vital for EMT's and hospital emergency room doctors. My iPhone is with me everywhere I go as is my MedicAlert emblem. If they had the information directly available without having to call to get it it can save precious time for care. It has nothing to do with insurance companies. It's about emergency care for me.