New Beats by Dre promo film prominently features iPhone 5s

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
After Apple announced a $3 billion acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music -- expected to be finalized later this year -- the music company's Beats by Dre headphone arm released a lengthy World Cup promo guest starring the iPhone 5s.

Brazilian soccer star Neymar Jr. in latest Beats ad. | Source: Beats by Dre via YouTube

As with most recent Beats be Dre ads, Thursday's five-minute film for the new Solo2 packs in big-name athletes wearing their distinctively styled headsets in the hours and minutes leading up to a game. Unlike previous spots, however, the new ad shows the headphones being powered exclusively by Apple products like the iPhone 5s.

Titled "The Game Before the Game," Beats' latest commercial is a five-minute ode to the World Cup starring Brazilian football star Neymar da Silva Santos, Jr., better known as Neymar Jr. Since Beats is not a sponsor of the FIFA World Cup, it is not allowed to mention the huge event by name, reports AdAge, but it is heavily implied that the sequence takes place in the moments before an important match.

"We decided to do something that only Beats could do," said Omar Johnson, Beats chief marketing officer. The pre-game rituals on display are authentic, he said, adding, "It's all real. Nothing is make-believe."

A number of other soccer stars can be seen prepping for the big game, while Samsung product ambassador LeBron James makes a cameo appearance, reminding viewers that Beats is not yet completely under Apple's guidance. The company said it plans to use James in future ads, though that stance may change once it gets swallowed by Apple.

"He's going to be all over the place," Johnson said, while a Beats spokeswoman added, "He's part of the Beats family."

Apple is awaiting regulatory approval of the Beats purchase and is expected to close the deal deal in its fiscal fourth quarter, which ends in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    This ad was beautifully done.

It did an excellent job in making the viewer lust after the sexy Solo2 headphones, which I would presume was the whole point.

Regardless of product quality, good marketing is half the battle toward high brand value, which Beats most certainly has.

Apple needs to look into using Beats' ad-agency rather than shifting to an in-house approach.
  • Reply 2 of 43

I'll still never waste money on Beats.

• Reply 3 of 43
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

In a year from now, that Beats heaphone set may resemble its trademarked look, but the guts will be designed in Cupertino.

• Reply 4 of 43

"New Beats by Dre promo film prominently features iPhone 5s"

... major stretch, if a person didn't know the iPhone by camera location or the design- no one would know that is an iPhone. They don't show the logo or anything. Also, they only show the phone for the first minute or so, that is not prominent.

Quote:

No one cares, you are not nearly as important as you think you are. It's called freedom of choice, no one is losing sleep off your purchase decisions.

• Reply 5 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Is that Nikki Minaj making a cameo at the 2m:38s mark?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

No one cares, you are not nearly as important as you think you are. It's called freedom of choice, no one is losing sleep off your purchase decisions.

I'm not trying to make anyone lose any sleep. Just saying Beats suck.

I could buy an iPod and a pair of Sennheisers for the same money.

• Reply 7 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    blackbook wrote: »
    Regardless of product quality, good marketing is half the battle toward high brand value, which Beats most certainly has.

Apparently they retuned the audio for this model:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/29/beats-solo-2-headphones/

but they say they're still a bit uncomfortable. I wouldn't say the design is better than the first model but Apple can't have made any changes yet. It's a bit strange to have a new model out now in June when Apple's September event is so close.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    "Huddler Lifestyle" :lol::lol::lol:
    Sounds like someone else wants to get bought by Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=blue][CENTER][B]THAT[/B] was a real class ad![/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • Reply 10 of 43
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is that Nikki Minaj making a cameo at the 2m:38s mark?

I see the resemblance but the girl in the video was too classy looking to be Nicki Manaj, IMO.

Edit: You were right. That is Nicki Manaj along with cameos by: Neymar, LeBron James, Bacary Sagna, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Blaise Matuidi, Cesc Fàbregas, Daniel Sturridge, Chicharito, Jozy Altidore, Luis Suárez, Mario Götze, Robin van Persie, Lil Wayne, Rafaella Beckran, Serena Williams, Sydney Leroux, Stuart Scott, Rio Ferdinand and Thierry Henry.

Maybe Dr. Dre asked her to step-up the classiness a little. She's not wearing half the makeup I'm used to seeing her wear. Almost makes her unrecognizable.

I don't know who half of them are but that's simply an indication of how old I've become. 8-) 

• Reply 11 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

... major stretch, if a person didn't know the iPhone by camera location or the design- no one would know that is an iPhone. They don't show the logo or anything. Also, they only show the phone for the first minute or so, that is not prominent.

Whine, whine, whine!

IMMEDIATELY

RECOGNISABLE

BRANDS!

• Reply 12 of 43
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

A perfect thread for pazuzu and he's not here??!!

What has the world come to...   lol

• Reply 13 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

I'm not trying to make anyone lose any sleep. Just saying Beats suck.

I could buy an iPod and a pair of Sennheisers for the same money.

You can see a pair of Beats across a room, a shopping mall, a subway station.

To some that's more important than some old man whining about "better" value.

btw, my headphones:-

• Reply 14 of 43
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

"But there is one more thing..."

Is that a reference to Steve?

• Reply 15 of 43
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Video is NSFW, due to just a few unnecessary seconds.

Thanks, Mr. Young, I'm sure you were "beneath" that decision.

• Reply 16 of 43
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A real coup would be Apple acquiring the Sennheiser family and making it an independent subsidiary, along-side Beats.

• Reply 17 of 43
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    Music can invoke emotion unlike any iPhone ad can. I thought all along that Apple will use the Beats brand to cross-market the iPhone in ways such as this. They need only to show the iPhone for a few seconds, if at all. Market Beats as they're currently being marketed and sell them at a 30-40% bundle discount with an iOS device. It was perfect timing, this acquisition was.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member

I felt the same way when I bought a pair of used Beats studio 6 months ago for $80. I liked them, thought they were bass heavy, and thought I would never spend $300 on a pair. Last week, I received the new wireless Beats Studio as a gift, and they're much improved. They're still over-priced, but the value gap closed a quite a bit with the new version. $380 is still too much for a pair of headphones. They need to keep the Studios in the $300 range, IMO.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    A real coup would be Apple acquiring the Sennheiser family and making it an independent subsidiary, along-side Beats.

In my fantasy world Apple would Buy sennheiser.

Apple will then construct a headphone using Sennheisers audio quality and finally stamping the Beats coolness at the end.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »

[image]

You headphones stick out more than black or white Beat's Urbeats SE in-ear phones. And I'd say your brown leather and pewter looking phones probably stand out more than Beats black and charcoal over-the-ear phones.