iOS 8 Safari now scans credit cards with iPhone camera, quick contacts come to multitasking view

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Apple's changes to iOS 8 both big and small are largely focused on convenience, making it easier and faster for users to access the information they want. Two of the best examples of this come in the form of relatively minor tweaks: a new credit card scanning function in Safari, and a list of favorite and recent contacts in the multitasking view.

When placing an order in Safari, the keyboard in iOS 8 now features an option that reads "Scan Credit Card." Once this is selected, the rear camera on the iPhone is opened and users can quickly scan in a card without having to enter the data.

Using this feature for the first time prompts dialogs requesting the user to grant Safari access not only to the iPhone's camera, but also to its list of contacts. Presumably Apple attempts to match up the scanned data with contact data in an effort to ensure it is as accurate as possible.

Once scanned, the name and credit card number are automatically entered into the accompanying spaces. Users can also quickly jump between entry menus on a website with arrows that appear above the keyboard.

Efficiency was also the goal in Apple's newly improved multitasking view, which now features contacts' names and images at the top of the screen. By simply double-tapping the home button, users are presented with a list of recently opened applications, as well as recent contacts, whose pictures are presented as circles.

While recent contacts are shown by default, users can flip to the left and also access their list of "favorites" saved in their iPhone contacts. Choosing a contact gives users the ability to quickly dial any of their numbers, send a text, or initiate a FaceTime call or video session.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    A phisher's dream
  • Reply 2 of 17
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    A phisher's dream

Cool, can I scan my buddy's card too?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    danielchowdanielchow Posts: 136member

regarding the credit card, i'm rather skeptical with this method. 

regarding the "improved" multitasking view as shown in the example screen capture, it's looking cluttered. there has to be a better way to do this.

• Reply 4 of 17
    belugabeluga Posts: 83member

i'm thinking this must be part of the setup process for the mobile payment solution they have in the works..

• Reply 5 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    vaporland wrote: »
    Cool, can I scan my buddy's card too?

Sure can. You can also take a picture of it or write it down manually. You know, like anyone could do now.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    [COLOR=blue]After carrying my credit cards around for a while I can't hardy read the numbers, this must be one heck of a camera if it can make out the numbers easier then I can....[/COLOR]

I DO like the option of having Siri either demand you show your card, "Show me the money!"
    Or, in her best seductive voice, purr, "Gimme your little ol' credit card, sugar..."
  • Reply 7 of 17
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

i'm thinking this must be part of the setup process for the mobile payment solution they have in the works..

I certainly hope so. And I hope this comes with the iPhone 6. The introduction of touch ID in iPhone 5S was an extremely conservative proof of concept. iOS's sandboxing and touch ID intersect in such a way to enable powerful security without additional complexity. PayPass is convenient but it lacks a verification step. Touch ID can introduce a verification step that is more simple than remembering a pincode and is not vulnerable to being glimpsed at the checkout. This is exactly what is needed to build confidence in mobile payments.

• Reply 8 of 17

Tôi nhìn th?y máy ?nh ch?p iphone ???c gi?i h?n, có th? nói không ??t yêu c?u so v?i samsung galaxy s5, theo ?i?n tho?i iphone c?a tôi là samsung trong ph?n c?ng h?n so v?i t?i ?a có th?.

• Reply 9 of 17
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    A phisher's dream

...and this differs from manually typing in the details in what way?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Seriously? The difference is obvious - it differs from manually entering them by NOT making you manually enter them. This will be faster and less prone to typos for many people - not to mention eliminating the need (for some) to reach for their glasses and squint to read the number.

I know. *You* have your card number memorized, have perfect vision and can type faster than you can aim the camera and click the shutter button and you think that everyone else is the same - or if not - they should be. Well - rest easy - taking a picture is just an *option*! You''ll still be able to do it manually!
  • Reply 11 of 17

First, it will be more convenient for us to pay online. But I'm worried about the security risks since it is related with credit card.

• Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Richards View Post

A phisher's dream

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...and this differs from manually typing in the details in what way?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

Seriously? The difference is obvious - it differs from manually entering them by NOT making you manually enter them. This will be faster and less prone to typos for many people - not to mention eliminating the need (for some) to reach for their glasses and squint to read the number.

I know. *You* have your card number memorized, have perfect vision and can type faster than you can aim the camera and click the shutter button and you think that everyone else is the same - or if not - they should be. Well - rest easy - taking a picture is just an *option*! You''ll still be able to do it manually!

@tenly, I think you misunderstood @hill60. He was addressing @Shawn Richards post about this being a phisher's dream.

What he is saying is that, once someone has your card, it does not matter if they type it in or scan it. This new feature has no bearing on the probability of your card being abused. He wasn't commenting on the usefulness of the feature.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your post though.

• Reply 13 of 17
    No! I absolutely misunderstood! Thank you @Shawn-Richards for clarifying and my apologies to @hill60 for the misunderstanding!

I thought it was another case of someone who didn't see value in a particular feature declaring that it was a stupid feature with no value.
  • Reply 14 of 17

<a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/135386/tenly" style="display:inline-block;">@tenly</a>
    , I think you misunderstood <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/54798/hill60" style="display:inline-block;">@hill60</a>
    . He was addressing <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/183888/Shawn-Richards" style="display:inline-block;">@Shawn Richards</a>
     post about this being a phisher's dream.
    What he is saying is that, once someone has your card, it does not matter if they type it in or scan it. This new feature has no bearing on the probability of your card being abused. He wasn't commenting on the usefulness of the feature.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your post though.

No! Thank you for the clarification @BestKeptSecret and apologies to @hill60 if that was the case!

I thought it was another case of "I don't see value in that feature so there IS no value in that feature!"
  • Reply 15 of 17
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

No! I absolutely misunderstood! Thank you @Shawn-Richards for clarifying and my apologies to @hill60 for the misunderstanding!

I thought it was another case of someone who didn't see value in a particular feature declaring that it was a stupid feature with no value.

What I meant was, scanning a card makes no difference to a phisher, i.e. it is not a phisher's dream.

You can already use the camera to scan in iTunes vouchers, which is extremely fast and useful.

This is an extension of that and if it works just as well, I look forward to it.

• Reply 16 of 17
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Most of my credit cards are extremely hard to read - the numbers are metallic and reflective or the same color as the background.  However, I just used my iPhone 5 camera to view some of the cards.  Amazingly much of the data can be read - although the shiny letters on the Amex make my name pretty hard to read.  Maybe the camera will have a special mode when scanning cards?  High contrast maybe?

• Reply 17 of 17

Any suggestion what will be the best card you would get? Last few months, many of the biggest credit card companies have raised interest. Apparently, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has released a brand new study about credit history. It found, among other things, that credit card activity is the solitary most important factor analyzed by credit reporting agencies when determining credit history.