Code in iOS 8 points to multi-sized split-screen windows [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2014
Newly discovered code in Apple's first iOS 8 beta strongly suggests the company is planning to add a split screen feature to its mobile operating system, possibly allowing multiple sizes in the process.

In a post to Twitter on Monday, noted developer Steven Troughton-Smith uncovered code in iOS 8 that enables SpringBoard to run two apps side-by-side, meaning split-screen viewing will likely be rolled into the OS when it launches this fall.

It is not yet clear how the split-screen view will look, especially on smaller devices like the iPhone, but Troughton-Smith said Apple provides options to run a second app in "1/4 size, 1/2 size, or 3/4 size." While speculation, iOS 8 could feasibly handle a two-up app view by displaying an active app in a larger window, while scaling down the other until it's needed.

A rumor in May suggested Apple is preparing an iPad-only split-screen option for iOS 8, which allows two apps to run simultaneously side-by-side. The feature is supposedly targeted at 9.7-inch iPads like the latest iPad Air and it is unknown if smaller devices will be able to access the view.

With split-screen operation, Apple is playing catch-up to Microsoft's Surface tablets, which boast the ability to display multiple apps at once and "snap" them into place. The method works well for devices with limited screen real estate.

Update: In an update to his earlier tweet, Troughton-Smith said he discovered the exact pane sizes, which are approximately 341pt, 512pt and 682pt. Fullscreen comes in at 1024pt.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    If you've used Windows 8 and the split screen.. you'll realize that Apple isn't playing catchup. The solution is less than ideal and I often find myself accidentally docking an app and then trying to find out the magical swipe combination to undo it. I think this unintuitive nature of Windows 8 is really not helping the product. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's easy to do, or immediately obvious.

To be fair, I don't use the Surface often and am an iOS developer, but I haven't been able to use it effectively when I have used the device.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    gregnacugregnacu Posts: 29member
    Why is it always that Apple is playing "catch up", when they are "catching up" in just one incredibly narrow feature. What about all the ways in which the platform Apple is catching up to hasn't caught up to iOS? More like, Apple is "taking a page from" or even just plain, "stealing a feature idea." But "catching up" makes it sound like Apple is somehow behind. Maybe they just didn't want that feature until now.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Usually when there is proof in the code the code in question is presented.

2) Haven't we see code in iOS betas before that seemed to indicate a feature was coming shortly only to have that feature not arrive at all or until later? IOW, assuming this code exists and unquestionably refers to split screen use on an iPad, why can't they still working it out for some future iOS release not tied to iOS 8?

3) I get why 1/2 would be useful but 1/4 and 3/4 seem like odd sizes. Does MS offer those sizes on the Surface?
  • Reply 4 of 53
    kevinn206kevinn206 Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

If you've used Windows 8 and the split screen.. you'll realize that Apple isn't playing catchup. The solution is less than ideal and I often find myself accidentally docking an app and then trying to find out the magical swipe combination to undo it. I think this unintuitive nature of Windows 8 is really not helping the product. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's easy to do, or immediately obvious.

To be fair, I don't use the Surface often and am an iOS developer, but I haven't been able to use it effectively when I have used the device.

Wow we must be using totally different versions of Windows 8. I am using it on a tablet, and I have NEVER accidentally docked anything. It's always intentional. I am not sure how you can accidentally dock the windows by doing what? By intentionally docking it?

For you to dock the app, you have to drag down from the top to activate and then intentionally move the minimized app to the left or right so that the docking bar appears. What exactly are you doing so that you are "accidentally docking"?

• Reply 5 of 53
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jkichline wrote: »

Judging by your comment you haven't used a surface. The magic swipe combination is to put your finger on the line between the apps and swipe. Also, how the heck do you dock an app by trying to do the split screen, the only options you have is to kill the application or make it split screen.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Usually when there is proof in the code the code in question is presented.

2) Haven't we see code in iOS betas before that seemed to indicate a feature was coming shortly only to have that feature not arrive at all or until later? IOW, assuming this code exists and unquestionably refers to split screen use on an iPad, why can't they still working it out for some future iOS release not tied to iOS 8?

3) I get why 1/2 would be useful but 1/4 and 3/4 seem like odd sizes. Does MS offer those sizes on the Surface?

To answer your third questions, Microsoft does offer 1/2 and 1/4 sizes on the Surface. I also believe that 3/4 sizes are there too.

• Reply 7 of 53
    jfanning wrote: »
    The magic swipe combination is to put your finger on the line between the apps and swipe.

That has to be one of the least intuitive or natural UI interactions we've ever seen on a tablet.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not sure how the Surface does it but on Samsung tablets you just drag your finger on the divider between the two windows to make them any size you want.  You're not limited to quarters and halves.

• Reply 9 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    The feature could very well exist, but only for the next-gen iPad Air.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

To answer your third questions, Microsoft does offer 1/2 and 1/4 sizes on the Surface. I also believe that 3/4 sizes are there too.

I hope apple copies this feature. I'm really excited by IOS 8 because it borrows so much from Android.
    And now Windows 8. Hopefully this means that Tim Cook realizes that apple can't let it market share keep dwindling away.
    Hopefully they will start offering more hardware bang for less dollars similar to how they cut their iCloud pricing.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

I hope apple copies this feature. I'm really excited by IOS 8 because it borrows so much from Android.

And now Windows 8. Hopefully this means that Tim Cook realizes that apple can't let it market share keep dwindling away.

Hopefully they will start offering more hardware bang for less dollars similar to how they cut their iCloud pricing.

I had a (somewhat insane) idea the other day: a subscription hardware model. You pay Apple $39.99/month or whatever per iDevice, and whenever a new model comes out you get your old one replaced for free. 

I've no idea whether it would be a viable business plan, and I also suspect that it's about as likely as Apple, Google, Microsoft and Facebook announcing a four-way merger. Oh well.

• Reply 12 of 53
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The feature could very well exist, but only for the next-gen iPad Air.

You don't need to poke around in the code to learn that Apple is introducing this for iOS in the near future.  Check out the UI sessions from WWDC 2014 and there are lots and lots of lessons about how to deal with the fact that you'll have no idea about the size of your application.  For example there is a new method called willTransitionToSize: for view controllers.  And there are plenty of demos where the app is shown changing size from iPad size to narrower than iPhone size--while the app is running.  Unless Apple is going to be selling devices that grow and shrink, that's pretty strong evidence that iOS apps will be expected to act properly in less than full-device mode.

• Reply 13 of 53
    darklite wrote: »
    I had a (somewhat insane) idea the other day: a subscription hardware model. You pay Apple $39.99/month or whatever per iDevice, and whenever a new model comes out you get your old one replaced for free. 

I've no idea whether it would be a viable business plan, and I also suspect that it's about as likely as Apple, Google, Microsoft and Facebook announcing a four-way merger. Oh well.

Run the numbers.

$40 x 12 = $480

The 16GB iPhone has an MSRP of $600 USD so if a trade-in was required it would work out in Apple''s favour. If not, it wouldn't.

But also consider most don't buy an iPhone every year or right when they are updated.

To me, that seems like an awfully lot to pay for a future device so unless that included AC+ which I get for insurance reasons for accidental breakage but never carries over with a trade-in I probably wouldnt consider it.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    darklite wrote: »

You just described a plan Verizon offers for the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

AT&T does this under its "Next" program. Compared to a subsidized plan, Next is convenient but it's not as good a deal for the savvy consumer, because you have to immediately turn in your old device which otherwise could be retained, unlocked and/or sold.

• Reply 16 of 53
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    gregnacu wrote: »
    Why is it always that Apple is playing "catch up", when they are "catching up" in just one incredibly narrow feature. What about all the ways in which the platform Apple is catching up to hasn't caught up to iOS? More like, Apple is "taking a page from" or even just plain, "stealing a feature idea." But "catching up" makes it sound like Apple is somehow behind. Maybe they just didn't want that feature until now.
    Many of the things Apple has been accused of playing catch up on, Apple has long studied and even had patents on. You can usually tell when one always seems to pop up when one of these features is talked about. I find it interesting that Surface has a kick stand just like the Apple prototypes from 2005.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregnacu View Post

Apple introduced a product (products) that caught competitors napping. These products are being improved as technology (hardware and software) permit. Apple isn't playing catch up to anyone. Ignore the trolls, be they the public or the press, not worth the effort to read. You and I have better things to do with our time. :)

• Reply 18 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cpsro wrote: »
    AT&T does this under its "Next" program. Compared to a subsidized plan, Next is convenient but it's not as good a deal for the savvy consumer, because you have to immediately turn in your old device which otherwise could be retained, unlocked and/or sold.
    Huh? :???: I'm on the Next program and the AT&T rep never told me I has to turn in my device. What I was told based on the plan I chose is after 12 months I could upgrade to a new device (only out of pocket cost is tax) and my existing device is mine to do whatever I want with.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Apple introduced a product (products) that caught competitors napping. These products are being improved as technology (hardware and software) permit. Apple isn't playing catch up to anyone. Ignore the trolls, be they the public or the press, not worth the effort to read. You and I have better things to do with our time. :)
    I wouldn't say that. A number of the features in iOS 8 already exist in Android and Windows phone. Of course I fully expect Apple to come up with the best implementation but I still consider that catching up. Same thing with displays. According to Display Mate, the GS5 has the best display of any smartphone on the market (that might change with the new LG phone just released). Hopefully Apple will blow them all out of the water this fall.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

cool stuff.  now if we could see multi-users, i would be the happiest.  my wife and i are very picky about our desktop pictures and app placement.