iOS 8 first look video: Time-lapse mode in Apple's updated Camera app

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
The native Camera app in Apple's iOS 8 comes with an all-new time-lapse photography mode, allowing users to record a scene for a length of time and have it automatically sped up to play back as a video with minimal effort.

The results of a pair of quick time-lapse tests can be seen in the above video. The new time-lapse shooting mode is available alongside previously available camera modes, including photos, videos, square pics, panoramic shots, and slow-motion video.

When choosing the new time-lapse option, there are no options on the screen aside from the ability to choose between the front facing or rear camera. A record button at the bottom is encircled by minute and hour markers like on a clock.

Once a series of photos are collected, they are automatically sped up and compiled as a video that is saved within the device's Photos app. Standard trimming functions for videos can be used to shorten the clip, while it can also be imported into more full-featured video editing tools like iMovie.

In the first beta of iOS 8, there are no options for adjusting how frequently the camera snaps pictures, nor how fast the images play back in the final product. The Camera app does automatically adjust the focus and brightness levels to accommodate for a changing environment.

iOS 8 is currently in beta for developer testing. It is expected to launch on iPhone and iPad this fall. For more, see AppleInsider's other iOS 8 videos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mazecookiemazecookie Posts: 163member
    I love piano, but eurgh that background track is awful. Although, I do enjoy these videos, they are a nice collection of spotlighted features.

I look forward to giving time lapse mode a try.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    This is pointless. Most Apple die-hards can't stand to be away from their phone for 5 minutes, do you really think they're going to be able to put their phone down for a whole hour to take a time lapse video of something worth while?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    I'd love to watch this video; Too bad it's in Flash. Oh well, guess I'll manage to live without seeing it.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    bobschlob wrote: »
    I'd love to watch this video; Too bad it's in Flash. Oh well, guess I'll manage to live without seeing it.

I watched the video on my iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    And now a thirty second video of paint drying...

But seriously, more functionality in the native camera app is a good thing.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

The second half (melting ice) is an excellent example of why locking focus, exposure and white balance are essential even for just goofing around. Hopefully that capability will be included in the final version.

Does anyone know if the Camera app in iOS8 will finally allow manual, or at least fixed, white balance?

• Reply 7 of 17
    spiffersspiffers Posts: 14member
    Wow, the NSA truck is parked outside your place too, doing "roadworks"?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

This is pointless. Most Apple die-hards can't stand to be away from their phone for 5 minutes, do you really think they're going to be able to put their phone down for a whole hour to take a time lapse video of something worth while?

Not at all. A good use of time-lapse is recording road trips. You mount the camera on the windshield of your car and make a time-lapse of your trip. The phone is with you as you drive.

• Reply 9 of 17
    conwaycfconwaycf Posts: 35member
    spamsandwich 06/10/2014 05:13 PM

That's funny!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mac-daddy wrote: »

We'll just have to buy two.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

My thoughts exactly when watching the ice melt lol
  • Reply 12 of 17
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

I love piano, but eurgh that background track is awful

Good grief, Charlie Brown...

• Reply 13 of 17
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    WTF AppleInsider, lose the ads in the videos. From a tech / platform standpoint your site already sucks - is incredibly slow to load - in fact slower than any other website I visit on a regular basis, and you just keep slowing it down even more by adding additional bandwidth sucking crap. (I live in a part of the world with crappy internet speeds... China)
  • Reply 14 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Does anyone know if the Camera app in iOS8 will finally allow manual, or at least fixed, white balance?

WB I wouldn't know, but they're supposedly adding separate focus & exposure. Plus a timer, finally.

freerange wrote: »
    WTF AppleInsider, lose the ads in the videos. From a tech / platform standpoint your site already sucks - is incredibly slow to load - in fact slower than any other website I visit on a regular basis, and you just keep slowing it down even more by adding additional bandwidth sucking crap. (I live in a part of the world with crappy internet speeds... China)

Get a subscription with their app:
    https://itunes.apple.com/cn/app/appleinsider/id578462575?l=en&mt=8
  • Reply 15 of 17
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    That looks awesome!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Interesting App. I would want to easily know the date and tine spanned. Great to see if "ducks" are eating your grass seed while you are away from home, etc. !
  • Reply 17 of 17
    drprdrpr Posts: 1member
    Currently I use Gorilla Cam to make my timelapses. I've set it for up to 45 minutes, depending on the subject matter. You'll find a lot of ios timelapse images out there, which explains Apple's interest. I won't use the new timelapse if it comes out as currently described, though- too limiting.
    mac-daddy wrote: »