R always types in caps on MacbookAir 11"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited June 2014

The R always types in caps on my MacbookAir 11" - and the RIght shift key always brings up the launchpad veRy slowly. I've tried everything i can think of to fix it - removed kepboard preferences files, updated system software to 10.8.5 (from 10.7) , started up in Safe mode, reset the SMC. I can't do the PRAM as the key combo wont work as the R in caps performs a different function. I'm wondering if it's some bizarre hardware issue as with a bluetooth keyboard the r works normally. I posted on the Apple support communities and while no fix has come of it 2 other users have the same laptop with the exactly the same problem !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    The R always types in caps on my MacbookAir 11"

If you boot into safe mode by holding shift and type in TextEdit, does it still do it?

One thing you can try is remapping the key using software like this:

https://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

This way you can force the r-key to type lowercase r. Given that the external keyboard works ok, it might be a hardware problem.
    and the RIght shift key always brings up the launchpad veRy slowly.

I see the capital r is happening there. Apple uses the shift keys to slow down some animation effects. If you hold shift and hit the minimize button on a window, it will go very slowly. It's not a good idea to use right shift as a hotkey for those things. Try switching it with right-alt or command.
  • Reply 2 of 4

SoRRy but i cant see any way with that softwaRe to Remap the R key oR any of the noRmal letteR keys to do anything. And i havnt set the Right shift key to do anything - it simply does it as paRt of this odd fault - the same as it does foR the otheR 2 useRs on the apple suppoRt gRoup.

• Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    SoRRy but i cant see any way with that softwaRe to Remap the R key oR any of the noRmal letteR keys to do anything. And i havnt set the Right shift key to do anything - it simply does it as paRt of this odd fault - the same as it does foR the otheR 2 useRs on the apple suppoRt gRoup.

You can also try this software:

http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

When you press the 'r' key, it will show what keycode is being sent. You can remap this to a lower-case 'r' output using the blocks. That should let you adjust the shift key too. The OS must be triggering Launchpad on a right-shift input, if you remap right-shift to be left-shift, it shouldn't do that and still give you shift-key functionality.

I take it the keyboard developed this fault over time and hasn't always done it? Did it develop gradually or one day it just always did this?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I just found this thRead by googling the pROblem I'm having -- it's identical. (Stuck R and also the slow-motion launching of launchpad, sometimes also affects whicheveR letteR I type immediately afteR R too...) It happened suddenly one day and I tRied all the things mentioned by the useR above (as well as viRus scans and a few otheR things) with identical Results. Then it suddenly went away by itself and was fine foR about 10 days. YesteRDay the issue suddenly came back. Any headway on this issue? I also suspect it's hardware-Related, peRhaps due to oveRheating? I would Really, Really appREciate any new infoRmation that you might have on how to Remedy this. My computeR is otheRwise in peRfect woRking oRdeR but out of waRRanty... In advance, thanks!

edit: I'm also on an 11" macbook aiR and Running 10.11.6
    edited August 2016