Rumor: Apple to refresh iMac lineup next week with possible CPU speed boosts

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2014
Apple is reportedly preparing to refresh the iMac lineup next week, though changes expected for the company's all-in-one desktop are thought to be minor component upgrades and processor speed boosts.

iMac

According to a report from French Apple blog MacGeneration, Apple will roll out new iMacs at the tail end of next week. Beyond the tentative date, the site's source -- who accurately predicted the recent MacBook Air update -- had no further information as to what the refresh will entail.

Without a big event or announcement, it is unlikely that a Retina display iMac will see release next week. Instead, the publication believes minor spec bumps like processor speed boosts are on tap, much like the recent MacBook Pro refresh in April.

Fanning the rumor flames, code discovered in a recent OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks beta references two unrecognized iMac models identified as "iMac15,1" and "iMac15,n." Since current iMacs carry the identifiers "14,1," "14,2," and "14.3," the unknown models are thought to be next-generation machines.

Intel also announced its Haswell product roadmap in April, which shows an average 100MHz speed bump for the CPUs used by Apple in the iMac lineup.

The purported launch timing lines up with predictions from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who expects Apple to debut a low-cost iMac sometime this quarter.

Apple usually draws down supply of existing channel inventory with a new release, though it appears stock is at normal levels at this point. Current authorized reseller availability can be found on AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    So, all-new Mac Pros, updated specs on iMacs, but no love in at least eighteen months for the Mac mini? C'mon, Apple, what gives?! (Startin' to feel like a darn hobby.)
  • Reply 2 of 62
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dragyn427 View Post

So, all-new Mac Pros, updated specs on iMacs, but no love in at least eighteen months for the Mac mini? C'mon, Apple, what gives?! (Startin' to feel like a darn hobby.)

Translation: nobody buys the Mac mini. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for Apple. More expensive computer = more profit.

• Reply 3 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Translation: nobody buys the Mac mini. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for Apple. More expensive computer = more profit.

I'm pretty sure there are a significant number of customers like me. I was interested in dipping my feet into the Mac world and also to do some tinkering with iOS development and was not ready to fully commit to a desktop. I'm super happy with my Mac Mini as a secondary computer I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think it is relatively popular. It could be that Apple is simply resource constrained and that the Mac Mini is a lower priority product at this point if there is a lot of new stuff (as in new product categories) coming this fall...

People always seem to forget that Apple (similar to every other company in existence) does not have infinite resources.

• Reply 4 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    dragyn427 wrote: »

Just like the Mac Pros, which went stangant a long time before a complete redesign, I think Apple is planning to do something special with the mini. I would expect the next update to completely change the product, not just a spec boost.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member

Should not this thread be in Future Apple Hardware?

• Reply 6 of 62
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] much like the recent MacBook Pro refresh in April.

Why does a reference to the MacBook Pro link to a story about the MacBook Air?

PS. I want a new mini too.

• Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

People always seem to forget that Apple (similar to every other company in existence) does not have infinite resources.

Exactly. I remember the software counterpart of this. Some years ago when iOS was under heavy development and Mac OS X was clearly neglected, there was word that the reason behind it was the reassignment of the company's developers. Over time, and once iOS reached enough maturity, some balance was established and now we are back at regular OS X updates.

Obviously I am only highlighting the limited resources effect. What will really happen with the mini is up to Apple.

• Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Just like the Mac Pros, which went stangant a long time before a complete redesign, I think Apple is planning to do something special with the mini. I would expect the next update to completely change the product, not just a spec boost.

I hope so. We don't know though how popular the mini is for Apple to proceed to a radical redesign. I would love to see a machine with more easily accessible internals, taking clues from the new Mac Pro.

• Reply 9 of 62
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Has Apple fasten its update/upgrade cycle. It seems speed bump is quicker then usual. ( Which is not necessary a bad thing )

So it now roughly 6 months every speed bump.

• Reply 10 of 62
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

More like nobody with any sense buys an 18 month+ computer at full price..... Once they refresh it the sales will come.

• Reply 11 of 62
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Has Apple fasten its update/upgrade cycle. It seems speed bump is quicker then usual. ( Which is not necessary a bad thing )

They have been including more of the half generation refresh cycles, meaning cpu increases .1 ghz and possibly other small changes. They used to ignore many of these extremely minor spec bumps from intel. The gpu model on the Airs is slightly different, but I don't know what the performance difference is like. If they're refreshing imacs now, I doubt we'll see broadwell before early next year.

• Reply 12 of 62
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That is good newer improvements and the cost will go down.Good for Apple.

• Reply 13 of 62
    ytseman3ytseman3 Posts: 33member
    I for one am waiting for the new Mini, I use my mac mainly for web browsing so why would I need to spend $1300 on an iMac when the mini will do? Hell, depending on what they do to the mini I may just get an iPad and call it a day.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

They have been including more of the half generation refresh cycles, meaning cpu increases .1 ghz and possibly other small changes. They used to ignore many of these extremely minor spec bumps from intel. The gpu model on the Airs is slightly different, but I don't know what the performance difference is like. If they're refreshing imacs now, I doubt we'll see broadwell before early next year.

Yes that Broadwell will be roughly 6 months later. And big update Skylake another 6 months after that.

Which seems strange because essentially we get two jump within one year time frame.

And is it likely that Retina iMac will be based on one of those, since Broadwell gets a new GPU generation upgrade ( Which may not be enough ) and Skylake will have more GPU SP as well as better CPU core.

• Reply 15 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    ksec wrote: »

It's hard to constantly update your machines when there isn't much to update to.

If Apple were to release a Retina iMac with just a small increase in speed and the same or similar graphics, people would be bitching up a storm.

On another topic, I too think Apple has something in the works for the Mac mini. I still believe it will be smaller in design. There's teslly no need for it to be that large anymore. It's current size was mainly to accommodate an optical drive which is no longer included. Could this be the first Mac using an A9 chip??? I wonder if Apple is secretly optimizing Yosemite for their own processors along side of Intels?
  • Reply 16 of 62
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

If it doesn't get a retina or 4K screen- NOT INTERESTED.

• Reply 17 of 62
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

On another topic, I too think Apple has something in the works for the Mac mini. I still believe it will be smaller in design. There's teslly no need for it to be that large anymore.

The Mac Mini was small when it was introduced, but the competition has caught up in form factor (Intel NUC, Gigabyte BRIX), so I'd think a redesign is in order (probably not as small as the Apple TV). The Mac Mini introduced me to Apple's desktop, and I know others that have bought it for the same reason, so I think it is still an important product. If you already have Windows hardware, all you need is a Mac Mini to get introduced to Apple.

• Reply 18 of 62
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Yes that Broadwell will be roughly 6 months later. And big update Skylake another 6 months after that.

Which seems strange because essentially we get two jump within one year time frame.

And is it likely that Retina iMac will be based on one of those, since Broadwell gets a new GPU generation upgrade ( Which may not be enough ) and Skylake will have more GPU SP as well as better CPU core.

I don't expect intel will release one architecture 6 months after the other, even if they say delays in one won't affect the next. They almost never give it less than a year. They say one thing. It changes a few months later. You'll see articles about delays and other random news later on. The current gpus can technically handle 4K. It's more a matter of drivers. I could see them going to integrated only on more machines to cut costs with a retina model.

• Reply 19 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    formosa wrote: »
    The Mac Mini was small when it was introduced, but the competition has caught up in form factor (Intel NUC, Gigabyte BRIX), so I'd think a redesign is in order (probably not as small as the Apple TV). The Mac Mini introduced me to Apple's desktop, and I know others that have bought it for the same reason, so I think it is still an important product. If you already have Windows hardware, all you need is a Mac Mini to get introduced to Apple.

I don't see it being as small as the AppleTV, but I could see it being about the size of the USB SuperDrive (only taller). That would be significantly smaller and impressive, especially if they can keep the power supply internal.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

It could be that Apple is simply resource constrained and that the Mac Mini is a lower priority product at this point if there is a lot of new stuff (as in new product categories) coming this fall...

Oh, but Apple is not similar to every other company!  Apple is the largest!  And with $100B+ of free cash, there is virtually no project Apple couldn't tackle.  From another perspective, Sammy can continue pumping out dozens of phone models per year, and still keep updating their TVs, kitchen appliances, automobiles, etc.  So I just don't buy the argument that Apple is resource-constrained.  Rather, I think Apple is just moving deliberately, on its own schedule, working to ensure continued product value.  And the Mini is supposed to be a "switcher" device, but it's turned out that iOS is a better "switcher engine", so I'm not surprised that Apple has decided to let the sleeping dog lie for a while.