Apple replacing European 5W USB iPhone power adapters that may overheat and pose safety risk

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Apple has announced that it will replace potentially dangerous 5-watt European USB power adapters that were shipped with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S, as well as sold separately from October 2009 to September 2012.

Apple has said that the USB adapters can overheat and pose a safety risk in "rare cases." Affected adapters can be identified on the bottom with the name "Model A1300" and the letters "CE" in solid gray.

"Customer safety is always Apple's top priority, and we have voluntarily decided to exchange every affected power adapter for a new, redesigned adapter, free of charge," the company said. "We encourage customers to exchange any affected adapter for a new one as soon as possible."
Affected adapters are identified as "Model A1300." The redesigned adapter, "Model A1400," does not need to be replaced.
Owners of affected adapters can bring them to an Apple Retail Store or a participating Apple Authorized Service Provider. They will need to have their iPhone serial number verified as part of the exchange process, so users must bring their iPhone with them.

Those who cannot bring their affected adapter to a location can contact Apple Technical Support and attempt to arrange an exchange. Users who own affected adapters are encouraged to charge their iPhone through their computer's USB port until the part is replaced.

The full list of countries where the adapter was sold is included below:
  • Albania
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Egypt
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia
  • Moldova
  • Montenegro
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Africa
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Vietnam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    UK not affected, unless of course you bought it abroad. Tip. The text is tiny and in grey, I can't see mine with the naked eye. Take a pic on your iPhone and zoom in to see it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    A bit slow at the news desk. I read this on Fortune.com two hours ago. :)

Apple has also had issues with iPhone adapters in the US in the past.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    A lot better then Chinese off brand adapters.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

This is what happens when government pretends it has the power to tell people what technology they’re allowed to use.

• Reply 5 of 7
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is what happens when government pretends it has the power to tell people what technology they’re allowed to use.

or when you make shitty adapters 

• Reply 6 of 7
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

I have one of this crap adapters. And of course there is no Apple store in my country, so I'm stuck with this piece of crap! Thank you Apple! Next time I'll buy a Samsung!

• Reply 7 of 7
    Comment deleted.