UBS declares Tim Cook the 'right man for the time' at Apple

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited June 2014
While some pundits question whether Tim Cook can steer Apple to new successes in a post-Steve Jobs era, investment firm UBS on Monday came out in full support of the Apple CEO, calling him the "right man for the time."

Following the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference this month, analyst Steve Milunovich said he believes Apple is gaining steam under Cook, who is remaking it under his own vision. In a note to investors on Monday, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider, he praised Cook for taking Apple in new directions that may be better suited for a company of its current size.

The analyst noted that in a meeting with Cook, the CEO told him that he felt a need to merge leadership of the company's formerly disparate iOS and OS X teams. Doing so would assure further cooperation -- something that Milunovich believes is being done on an even greater scale within Apple, improving the company's efficiency and potentially making it better at developing new products simultaneously.

Milunovich also praised Cook for not being beholden to what he called "spreadsheet-driven decisions." He believes Apple remains focused on making the best products for consumers, regardless of the return on investment, which has led to "remarkable new market innovation success."

Tim Cook

Some on Wall Street and elsewhere remain concerned that Apple may not be able to innovate or adapt as quickly under the leadership of Cook. To those critics, Cook has not yet shown that he can introduce the company's "next big thing," following up on the successful introductions of the iPod, iPhone and iPad, all of which were unveiled under the leadership of Jobs. Many of those sentiments were reiterated in a profile on Cook published Sunday by The New York Times, which again questioned when Apple's next new product category will be introduced.

Milunovich, however, doesn't share those concerns.

"We think Cook-doubters will be proven wrong," he said.

UBS has maintained its "buy" rating for AAPL stock, with a 12-month price target of $100 per share. The firm expects Apple to have a blockbuster second half of 2014, when it predicts the company will debut a so-called "iWatch" wrist-worn smart device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The next question is... What are these tools planning to say next to undermine Apple, not why are they suddenly praising Apple? Build them up, then tear them down. That's how they roil markets to create uncertainty and panic trading. Screw 'em.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    No shit. Did we really need an analyst to "confirm" this? Perhaps Dodo did.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Surprising that analysts don't put the same pressure on Samsung to innovate.
  • Reply 4 of 26

Wow! UBS declared that?

Must be true then....:rolleyes: 

• Reply 5 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robotstorm View Post

Give analysts a little credit. They know Samsung doesn’t innovate, they wait for innovation then ‘borrow’ it. They didn’t develop Android, they use it because it’s mostly free. Their hardware always reflects what others have done that was successful. 

• Reply 6 of 26

I would agree with this.

He has ensured "Best in Class" in retail, OS, mobile OS, desktops, laptops, phones, iPads, etc., etc.

:)

• Reply 7 of 26
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Wow, thanks! Now I can sleep at night. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 8 of 26
    huglevhuglev Posts: 10member
    Tim is the best CEO ever, and not just at Apple. Nobody could follow Steve, but Tim has. The one public mistake he's made was quickly corrected. Keep it Cookin'.

Steve, on the other hand, was the greatest visionary and entrepreneur ever.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I think apple is in the PERFECT position to have a blockbuster year, can't wait for the next gathering. Apple is the one company that can change the tech world.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm just waiting for the day when I can have multiple Safari tabs open on my iPad and they don't constantly re-load. If that's a RAM issue why doesn't the iPad have 2GB RAM. I really hope the new iPads do get a bump in RAM.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

The best following act to an iconic CEO was Robert Iger after Michael Eisner.  Iger was thought of us this efficient but dull and unimaginative keep-the-trains-running-on-time guy who will, at best, keep Disney from deteriorating any further.  Sounds a lot like what people said about Tim Cook, eh?  Well Iger turned out to be a great CEO, acquiring Pixar, reviving Disney's animated films, bought Marvel, etc.  When he took over, DIS was hovering around the 20s for 5 years, it's in the 80's today.

I said Iger was the best following act to a superstar CEO.  Until Tim Cook took over from Steve Jobs, that is.

• Reply 12 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

In before troll start trying to draw parallels between “Right man for our time” and “Peace for our time”.

• Reply 13 of 26
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I'd hate to see Cook solely judged upon by the success/failure of the so-called iWatch.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    robotstorm wrote: »

Samsung's current success isn't based on innovation; it's based on their proven ability to be a "fast follower."
  • Reply 15 of 26
    eckerguseckergus Posts: 96member
    Man, I just can't wait. This fall product announcement is going to be the climax and the consummation of Eddy Cue's words:

"Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple."

Apple is going to slap and spit on all the haters faces very nicely. Hehe. Can't wait!
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Cook's only major misstep was hiring Browett for retail. In the best sense, he's a team-building delegator who couldn't possibly imitate the singular King Jobs. After being silent on labor, environment, etc. Apple now has a strong moral compass. He's pleasing the hardcore fans with things that languished under Jobs like the Mac Pro and iCloud Drive, and 3rd party keyboards - while continuing to simplify and beautify where needed. He and the other execs are shaping a newer, better Apple in so many ways.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Cook's only major misstep was hiring Browett for retail.

I'd say there have been two significant missteps, neither of which will be repeated. Browett was the first.

The second was announcing the Haswell iMac before it was available and not offering preorders in the interim. They literally went an entire quarter without selling their most popular desktop computer. No one but Apple could have done that, but no one–even Apple–should do that.

• Reply 18 of 26
    The move from Steve Jobs to Tim Cook is kind of like the move from Greece to Rome in ancient times. Greece gave us art, philosophy, and science. But Rome gave us concrete, roads, and civil engineering. Rome never had art to surpass the Venus de Milo. Rome never had Plato. But Greece never had a system of roads that extended hundreds of miles, or a language that forms the basis of what is spoken by most of the world's population.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Am I blind too see that the iMac 27 inch I believe an slimmer newer one is using windows xp???? Foreal you have money to use your own os but windows?? Lmao smfh cook
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Originally Posted by shocker915 View Post

Am I blind too see that the iMac 27 inch I believe an slimmer newer one is using windows xp???? Foreal you have money to use your own os but windows?? Lmao smfh cook