Facebook brings right-hand column to iPad with new discovery features

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2014
Social networking behemoth Facebook on Monday updated their iPad app with a new right-hand column that brings tablet users faster and easier access to trending content and games.

The new layout will be familiar to users of Facebook on the web, with a content column appearing on the right-hand side of the screen when the iPad is held in landscape mode. Facebook calls the change a test, meaning not every user will see the new feature.

Gaming is the new section's primary focus, with Facebook making it easy to quickly tap and play users' favorite iPad games. The company will also surface games it believes users might want to play based on their social network.

Developers may be able to advertise their games there in the future, Facebook said.

Additionally, the section will include trending topics and trending videos. Both lists are dynamically generated for each user based on their interests and content that is popular among their social circle.

Facebook version 11.0 is available now as a free, 62.2-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Facebook... Feh!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I will be sticking with FB version 10.x just like I did for iPhone. I want control over my news feed not better access to "apps" that are there just to steal my personal information.
  • Reply 3 of 9

People still use Facebook?

• Reply 4 of 9
    hotbluehotblue Posts: 16member
    Quit FB awhile ago and not looking back.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Screw 'trending'... I want a good way to just search my own damned posts from the beginning of time!

• Reply 6 of 9
    hotbluehotblue Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Screw 'trending'... I want a good way to just search my own damned posts from the beginning of time!

They don't want you to do that.  I'm sure the cost of retrieving those really old posts from cold storage is astronomical compared to recent stuff.

• Reply 7 of 9
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    Now that the obligatory "Facebook? Quit that long ago" and "People still use Facebook?" Posts are out of the way, anyone see this in the app? 11.0 came out a while ago, maybe a week, and I haven't seen it yet.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    starbird73 wrote: »
    Now that the obligatory "Facebook? Quit that long ago" and "People still use Facebook?" Posts are out of the way, anyone see this in the app? 11.0 came out a while ago, maybe a week, and I haven't seen it yet.

I've never used Facebook, so I couldn't help you.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    My wife uses facebook and it continues to surprise me that her position in the timeline is not synced between iPad/iPhone/web. How hard is that to code? Seems a default feature with many lower profile apps I use. What stops facebook doing it?