Parallels Access goes universal, extends Mac and Windows remote desktop controls to iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Parallels on Tuesday announced an update to its subscription-based Parallels Access remote desktop app, adding new gestures and controls to support operation on smartphones like Apple's iPhone.

With the latest Parallels Access version 2.0 for iOS, the software firm best known for its virtualization software has made its iOS remote control app universal.

Parallels first launched the app as an iPad-only title in August 2013, offering a new way to interact with Mac and Windows desktop applications on Apple's tablet. Unlike other apps, Access allows users natural navigation through iOS gestures, including taps, swipes and pinches.

Along with iPhone support, version 2.0 now features the ability to switch screen resolutions, wake a remote computer from sleep and register or login via a connected Facebook account. In addition, Parallels includes a new file browser that offers access to files stored on a target computer.

Finally, Access now accepts input from a controlling device's microphone, a nice addition for smartphones with limited screen real estate. Bug fixes and stability improvements are also included.

Those interested can try Parallels Access for free for two weeks after downloading the app from the App Store. After the trial period, subscription pricing starts at $19.99 per year to connect to up to five computers. A two-year subscription comes in at $29.99, or a 33 percent discount off one-year pricing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    One thing that was announced at WWDC that I haven't seen get much coverage was a new hypervisor.framework for OS X. This should make it possible to make Parallels and VMware work without drivers, which means they will then be eligible for the Mac App Store.

So I wonder in the next year whether we will see Parallels on the Mac App Store? The competition is fierce between them and VMware, and whoever doesn't do it will be at a big disadvantage in terms of visibility to potential consumers.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Ok now that's pretty cool
  • Reply 3 of 8
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    It did not worked on my mac.
    1. It never connected to their severs (did not became accessible)
    2. Failed to logged in on my mac
    3. Stalled my internet connection/safari so no tab that i had open could refresh or go to another page.
    4. Anytime that i tried to force quit it using activity monitor.. it created another process.
    5. Its not free, it says is a trial that ends July first in you installed today 6/17/2014
  • Reply 4 of 8
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

"After the trial period, subscription pricing starts at $19.99 per year to connect to up to five computers. A two-year subscription comes in at $29.99, or a 33 percent discount off one-year pricing."

Um, that would be more like 25% off one-year pricing.

• Reply 5 of 8
    Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job I've had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail
    ---------------> WWW.JOBS7000.COM
  • Reply 6 of 8

Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job I've had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail

---------------> WWW.JOBS7000.COM

• Reply 7 of 8
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member

FWIW, Chrome Remote Desktop can access Macs. It sounds like the iOS app isn't out yet, but there's no subscription, and it's pretty handy that I can help my mother in law with tech problems by fixing her PC from my phone. My office blocks ports for any sort of remote desktop access, so the phone support is key. I've also kicked off huge exports in Lightroom from my phone, configuring watermarks and such, and it's very nice not having to babysit the computer.

• Reply 8 of 8
    Can anyone explain why Apple has not added the mysterious Red Box from the old NeXT days? For those who have forgotten, Yellow Box was the Cocoa environment and Blue Box was the traditional Mac, i.e. Classic, environment. Red Box allegedly was a full Windows compatibility layer. You can't tell me that there isn't a fully functional Windows runtime environment that Apple hasn't developed in-house just begging to be added to any of the 10.3 & up OS releases for Intel machines. Boot Camp has been nothing but a tease. Maybe Ballmer was too stuck in his ways to see past his own shoes but truth be told, Microsoft with the new guard may be more flexible. Seriously, is it simply licensing issues? Is it a matter of having to extend support for running Windows executables? Why has Apple let 3rd parties do something they could easily offer w/ a major point release?