FiftyThree to bring natural 'Pencil' stylus control to 'Paper' app with iOS 8 update

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2014
Art-minded app and hardware developer FiftyThree on Tuesday announced it will be adding an iOS 8-exclusive feature to the "Paper" drawing app that lets users of the company's "Pencil" stylus change the characteristics of a drawn line by modifying how they hold the tool.

Source: FiftyThree

The new feature, called "Surface Pressure," will be built into an updated Paper app and allows the Pencil's tapered tip to shade, fill and draw depending on how much of the rubber tip is in contact with the screen.

The enhanced granular controls are meant to add a new sense of depth to the digital experience, closely mimicking drawing with a real pencil and paper. For example, fine lines can be created with just the tip of Pencil's nib, while users can quickly switch to wide swaths of color, broad strokes and shading by tilting the stylus to one side.

Aside from natural handling and speed, the augmented input feature works with each of Paper's existing digital brushes, opening up a new range of creative possibilities for users of the app/hardware ecosystem.

Surface Pressure also applies to Pencil's eraser, a unique feature that switches input from drawing visible lines to erasing by flipping the stylus over just as you would a regular pencil. With the augmented functionality built for Apple's iOS 8 update, artists will be able to use an expanded set of techniques in their work, like subtractive drawing.

According to FiftyThree, Paper will still include the usual palm rejection, finger smudging and loupe tools that made it one of the most popular drawing apps in the App Store.

Surface Pressure is due out this fall with the launch of iOS 8 and will be automatically unlocked for all Pencil owners. Paper by FiftyThree is a free download from the App Store, while Pencil can be purchased from Amazon in Graphite for $59.95 or Walnut for $74.95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I want to say "coooool!". And good for them for pulling this much off, but in reality, I just want Apple to make an awesome drawing iPad. :/ Give me precision, Apple, even if it has to be in an iPad "Pro".
  • Reply 2 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple, just buy 53 already FFS.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Would really love to see what Apple could do with an "iPad for Artists" with Wacom-quality drawing surface and drawing/painting tools. The iPad would need a surface with a bit of "tooth" to simulate the feel of fine paper, like Strathmore.
  • Reply 4 of 14

I wish there was a simple way to 'write' on top of any app that is open on an iPad, esp. Keynote ..... can't believe that Apple hasn't done this yet.

It would be amazing for presentations and classroom use.

• Reply 5 of 14
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wish there was a simple way to 'write' on top of any app that is open on an iPad, esp. Keynote ..... can't believe that Apple hasn't done this yet.

Sounds good, as long as they don't buy SMART.  Their ink software blows, as do their sympodium monitors.  

• Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple, just buy 53 already FFS.

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Would really love to see what Apple could do with an "iPad for Artists" with Wacom-quality drawing surface and drawing/painting tools. The iPad would need a surface with a bit of "tooth" to simulate the feel of fine paper, like Strathmore.

"If you [need] a stylus, [you] blew it"   - While   Steve is Dead, I'm sure this is still echoing in the halls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

I want to say "coooool!". And good for them for pulling this much off, but in reality, I just want Apple to make an awesome drawing iPad. :/ Give me precision, Apple, even if it has to be in an iPad "Pro".

this is probably closer to the case. 

Lines can get finer when you

a) have more pixels per sq in

b) you have more inches per display

c) you have more computational/display/memory power underneath the display.

As Metal and A8 and if the rumors hold for a 'professional iPad'  (sort of like the 17" Macbook Pro), then I think Apple has done what it can.  If you need to hold an electronic pencil in your hand... they're not stopping you... but they're not going to build an application that requires you to have one.

• Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Quote:

Sounds good, as long as they don't buy SMART.  Their ink software blows, as do their sympodium monitors.  

I am sorry, but your response is a bit confusing and opaque: how does SMART (or any other app) allow one to write/notate on top of, say, a Keynote slide?

When/how did Apple start allowing two apps to be open simultaneously, layered on top of each other (in this case, SMART on top of Keynote)?

• Reply 8 of 14
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Sounds like a nice idea but right now iOS doesn't really work like that. Seems like it would have to be implemented in an application specific way because each application needs to be able to receive touch input on their main view controller so if you were to bring in a new drawing view controller on top to receive the draw input it would intercept touch input to the main view controller. I think a drawing layer on top of the stack would need to be toggled on or off from some button or gesture. As far as I know, in most cases, iOS gives up complete touch control to the app that is active. Although, now that I think about it, it might be possible with something similar to the setting and notifications screens, but it would be better as app specific so that you could save the drawing layer in the document.

BTW, after watching this video, I am planning to buy this device when iOS 8 comes out.

• Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Sounds like a nice idea but right now iOS doesn't really work like that. Seems like it would have to be implemented in an application specific way because each application needs to be able to receive touch input on their main view controller so if you were to bring in a new drawing view controller on top to receive the draw input it would intercept touch input to the main view controller. I think a drawing layer on top of the stack would need to be toggled on or off from some button or gesture. As far as I know, in most cases, iOS gives up complete touch control to the app that is active. Although, now that I think about it, it might be possible with something similar to the setting and notifications screens, but it would be better as app specific so that you could save the drawing layer in the document.

BTW, after watching this video, I am planning to buy this device when iOS 8 comes out.

I agree. It likely would have to be something that Apple would need to create.

• Reply 10 of 14
    dachardachar Posts: 330member

After seeing the video I was thinking of buying as well. But then I checked out Amazon in my country. The customer reviewers say that the stylus has problems and often had to be returned. It is expensive so if possible it is recommended trying before buying.

• Reply 11 of 14
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    A young man I know (age 16) did this Halo drawing, and other art, on his iPad mini using ProCreate. I've been pretty amazed at what he can do with his finger and an iPad...

• Reply 12 of 14
    Edit...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    "If you [need] a stylus, [you] blew it"   - While   Steve is Dead, I'm sure this is still echoing in the halls.

Need?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    It's all good and well, but the stupid pencil is still not available to buy outside of North America. Fail.