Apple releases second betas of iOS 8 & OS X Yosemite with bug fixes, improvements

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Apple on Tuesday supplied developers with its second beta release of iOS 8, packing in bug fixes and improvements in the pre-release software scheduled to ship to users this fall. Updates for OS X Yosemite, Apple TV, and Xcode 6 were also provided.

iOS 8.0 beta 2 can now be downloaded through the Software Update section of the native Settings application. Apple has warned that it should only be deployed on devices dedicated for beta software development.

Also on Tuesday, developers were provided a fresh second beta of OS X Yosemite, Apple's next-generation Mac operating system. The second beta is identified as Build 14A261i.

The Apple TV set-top box also received a new beta, as did Xcode 6, Apple's integrated development environment used to create applications for both iOS and OS X.

The first betas of each were supplied to developers earlier this month after they were officially unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. Customization is one of the key focuses for the next-generation mobile operating system, as users will be able to install their own keyboards and Notification Center widgets in iOS 8.

Apple also plans to open up Touch ID, the fingerprint scanning solution currently found on the iPhone 5s, to third-party developers, allowing applications to tap into advanced security functions. iOS 8 also has support for system-wide extensions that will allow developers to create their own sandboxed plugins for apps like Safari, the native Camera app and more.

And Apple has focused on what it calls "continuity" between OS X and iOS with its next major updates, as users will be able to seamlessly hand off content from their iPhone or their iPad to their Mac when within range. In addition, users will be able to answer and place calls or respond to text messages through Bluetooth connectivity to an iPhone.

For more on iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, see AppleInsider's ongoing series of first look videos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    richsrichs Posts: 13member
    Really enjoying the video's music... who's the piano player (and/or trio)?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    WTF AppleInsider !
    Why are you still using Flash ?
    ClickToFlash isn't switching to HTML5 here and since I obviously don't allow local storage for Flash I have to click on their stupid Deny button many times %u2026 or I just reach for the iPad if close by. Very annoying but also troubling that they still would use such trash as Flash.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Come on Handoff and Continuity!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

Since I have to install these bad boys on my primary machine (since, you know, all of my dev takes place in my primary spot), I always wait for the second DP. A day later than other years, but I'm glad to see it pop into the center! I'm excited to start working with iOS 8 and Yosemite. 

• Reply 5 of 25
    What is the build number of iOS 8b2? I have 12A4265u but I also have Software Updater saying it still needs to install the update but seems to restart and still show that message.

edit: OK, so I'm still on the first beta so something wonky is killing the installation of the 2nd beta when it tries to verify. Time to grab the full IPSW and do an update via iTunes.

edit2: This is 1.93GiB and on the iPhone needed 3GiB of free space for the swap space. I really hope they double capacity for the giving price points with the 8th gen iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What is the build number of iOS 8b2? I have 12A4265u but I also have Software Updater saying it still needs to install the update but seems to restart and still show that message.

edit: OK, so I'm still on the first beta so something wonky is killing the installation of the 2nd beta when it tries to verify. Time to grab the full IPSW and do an update via iTunes.

edit2: This is 1.93GiB and on the iPhone needed 3GiB of free space for the swap space. I really hope they double capacity for the giving price points with the 8th gen iPhone.

This is why selling an 8GB iPhone is stupid for any country. You're not the only person who is going to run into this issue when the final is release to the public. I just had to deal with someone today who had an 8GB iPhone 4 and they basically had to remove everything off their phone just to finally install the iOS 7.1.1 update. And BTW...this is a person who is incredibly untech savvy. What filled the phone up? Photos! Like I've said in every other thread when this topic gets brought up. 

But we won't go down that road... 

• Reply 7 of 25
    macxpress wrote: »
    This is why selling an 8GB iPhone 5C is stupid. You're not the only person who is going to run into this issue when the final is release to the public. I just had to deal with someone today who had an 8GB iPhone 4 and they basically had to remove everything off their phone just to finally install the iOS 7.1.1 update. 

The smart thing to do is have them use a machine with iTunes to update, not remove everything from their iPhone. At what point did we get from "it would be nice to have the option for OTA updates" to thinking that OTA updates are the only way to update a device. If they have waited this long to update their iPhone to 7.1.1 they could have waited a little longer to get to a Mac or WinPC with iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

The smart thing to do is have them use a machine with iTunes to update, not remove everything from their iPhone. At what point did we get from "it would be nice to have the option for OTA updates" to thinking that OTA updates are the only way to update a device. If they have waited this long to update their iPhone to 7.1.1 they could have waited a little longer to get to a Mac or WinPC with iTunes.

Because they're not smart enough to do that, nor should they have to be. Simply put an 8GB iPhone is stupid. Its not enough space for anyone anymore. 

• Reply 9 of 25
    Because they're not smart enough to do that, nor should they have to be. Simply put an 8GB iPhone is stupid. Its not enough space for anyone anymore. 

So they were smart enough to load data on their phone and do updates via iTunes for all these years, including going back to the iPod days, but now they are too stupid? I don't buy it.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

So they were smart enough to load data on their phone and do updates via iTunes for all these years, including going back to the iPod days, but now they are too stupid? I don't buy it.

No, why assume they've had Apple products all along such as an iPod? Thats a very poor assumption. You have to think about a general everyday person, not someone tech savvy person like anyone here on AI. I see this day in and day out. I'm not making this stuff up. 

• Reply 11 of 25
    So my MBP keeps saying Continuity is available for my iPad Mini but I can't get it to say that for my iPhone. The odd thing is my iPad Mini hasn't yet been updated to Beta 2 and I never got the message when my iPhone still was on Beta 1 and Yosemite was on Beta 2.

Handoff also isn't working. I've verified that BT is enable, all devices have BLE, and they are al on the same WiFi LAN. I thought maybe the BT needs to be paired but it's not paired with my iPad Mini and even after pairing my iPhone it doesn't work. Oh well, I guess there is Beta 3 to look forward to.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    No, why assume they've had Apple products all along such as an iPod? Thats a very poor assumption. You have to think about a general everyday person, not someone tech savvy person like anyone here on AI. I see this day in and day out. I'm not making this stuff up. 

So you think the less tech savvy person is the one that understands the ins and outs of OTA delta updates? You have that backwards.

The least tech savvy people use their iDevices for basic consumption. Phone calls, messaging, emails, internet. They aren't storing copious amounts of media or even that many apps. I can tell you that most of the techtards I know are well within the usage case for an 8GB device. Now I'd like Apple to double the capacity again because it's been many years and because they are increasing their OS sizes but that's a very different position from the one you're taking.
  • Reply 13 of 25

They may not understand anything. They just get annoyed by Apple to update from iOS 6 to iOS 7 everyday so eventually they press OK or Update or whatever the hell the button says. Then they get told there isn't enough space to update their phone and they have to keep deleting things until it goes away. I never said once that they understand the ins and outs of any update method. 

A basic person does all of what you said, but you left out one important thing.. photos! The camera on these phones are amazing and people use them constantly to take photos. This is what uses up all the space on a users phone. They don't know enough to dump their photos elsewhere and they shouldn't have to.

• Reply 14 of 25
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Now some of the Magic Trackpad gestures are borked. 

Other than that all seems to be well. 

• Reply 15 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Ah, you youngsters don't know what capacities are. Back in my day, iPhone OS was three hundred megabytes and we liked it!

And then we go further back, talking about how System 7.6.1 fit on a CD, and even further...

• Reply 16 of 25
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    They may not understand anything. They just get annoyed by Apple to update from iOS 6 to iOS 7 everyday so eventually they press OK or Update or whatever the hell the button says. Then they get told there isn't enough space to update their phone and they have to keep deleting things until it goes away. I never said once that they understand the ins and outs of any update method. 

This is just one more reason that Apple is doomed and its another distinguishing feature that sets apart Android!

Android users never have to deal with the bothersome message that offers them the chance to install awesome new feature on their 1 and 2 year old phones for free!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Updating the Beta's for my 3rd gen iPad, iPhone 5 & Macbook air as i type this :D c'mon download haha.

I've heard people say that the iOS 8 Beta wasn't stable, to me, so far its been quite stable, way more than iOS 7 was for me, my iPhone has had 1 reboot, thats since day one of the beta, so thats pretty good, all my apps work too.

• Reply 18 of 25
    cyrbencyrben Posts: 1member
    Hi, I register your UDIDs on my developer account for $5.
    If you're interested you can contact me at [email protected] or PayPal me directly at this adress.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Not sure if this was in DP1.0 (since this is only DP1.1, not DP2), but the Trash now queues its actions instead of throwing an error at you that demands you leave me alone while I’m emptying, thank you very much.

So that’s a welcome change.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This is why selling an 8GB iPhone is stupid for any country. You're not the only person who is going to run into this issue when the final is release to the public. I just had to deal with someone today who had an 8GB iPhone 4 and they basically had to remove everything off their phone just to finally install the iOS 7.1.1 update. And BTW...this is a person who is incredibly untech savvy. What filled the phone up? Photos! Like I've said in every other thread when this topic gets brought up.

Tell that to my wife... She managed to do it to a 16GB with all photos.

I continually ask her how many pictures of the dog does she need. Apparently about 3,500...