First OS X 10.10 Yosemite update offers very early look at 'dark mode'

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2014
It was discovered on Tuesday that the second OS X 10.10 Yosemite beta contains code to activate an early version of "dark mode," which changes the translucent light gray menu graphics to a darker shade closer to black.

Some two weeks after Apple issued the first Yosemite beta at WWDC, developer Hamza Sood discovered that today's update contains code for dark mode, which can be activated through a simple Terminal command.

Developers can test out the new capability by entering the following code into Terminal, logging out and logging back in: sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Dark. To return to the default light gray graphics, change "Dark" to "Light" and perform a login cycle.

As seen above, dark mode is most definitely a work in progress as borders of icons shown in the menu bar are not correctly displayed.

Apple will introduce dark mode when Yosemite launches this fall as an alternative view for users who prefer not to be distracted by OS X's menu and dock. The new functionality may be most important for imaging professionals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    kaipherkaipher Posts: 24member
    Thank God! I've been dreaming of a subtle, clean, dark, OS interface ever since Copland debuted on Mac OS 8. A few more months wait can't hurt.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I don't know why they don't make Dark Mode the default of the OS anyways. I think it looks so much better. I've always adored the UI of Apple's Pro Apps because of the dark interface.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    You can do pretty much the same thing with the Accessibility pane right now; so what's the deal?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You can do pretty much the same thing with the Accessibility pane right now; so what's the deal?

No, you can't. You can make a negative of the whole screen--which gives you black menus, along with messed up video, photos, graphics you're working on, icons, album art, games, Finder tags, wallpaper.... every aspect of color on the whole system.

Now we can have a dark theme for the UI without messing up non-UI elements. Looking forward to it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't know why they don't make Dark Mode the default of the OS anyways. I think it looks so much better. I've always adored the UI of Apple's Pro Apps because of the dark interface.

Because people would FREAK OUT, including people on these forums :) Change hurts!

• Reply 5 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

What is shown here looks about half baked. I wouldn't mind having a gray theme like the pro apps, but this isn't it. They should bail on the desktop background and just make it gray or a gradient. Having bright colors in the dark mode makes no sense to me. I already have gray as my background so I guess this wouldn't affect me.

• Reply 6 of 36
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

No, you can't. You can make a negative of the whole screen--which gives you black menus, along with messed up video, photos, graphics you're working on, icons, album art, games, Finder tags, wallpaper.... every aspect of color on the whole system.

Now we can have a dark theme for the UI without messing up non-UI elements. Looking forward to it!

Yeah, they'll freak out, but they'll get over it. I didn't say not make it an option to turn it back to white. I just said the dark should be the default.

• Reply 7 of 36
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    iOS 8 Dark Mode in progress???
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Hmm...not working on my MacPro (trash can model). I just did the update via App Store. Guess I'll try to download the standalone updater. I can see my GlobalPreferences.plist was updated and has that the Dark string value set, but logging in/out just didn't make any difference. :(

Really looking forward to the dark mode.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Dark mode will just be a cosmetic option. No big deal.
    But does anyone remember the "natural scrolling" hysteria?
  • Reply 10 of 36
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Anyone else's Magic Trackpad not registering swipes and pinches with the second beta?

• Reply 11 of 36
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member

Dark theme feels like Microsoft.

• Reply 12 of 36

Now I'm glad for this alternative Dark Mode pleases my eyes! still in WIP... till best enhancements in Final Release of OS X Yosemite.   

• Reply 13 of 36
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    MacBooks with OLED displays?

A darker theme certainly will save battery life wiith an OLED display.
  • Reply 14 of 36

Is there any indication that this will be used on finder windows and other UI elements as well?

I like the dark menus and dock, but expanding it to the who experience would be a great option.

• Reply 15 of 36
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

In a surprise appearance at the Cannes Lions festival, rapper Kanye West said a collaboration between fellow performer Jay Z and Samsung last year played into Apple's decision to introduce Dark Mode in iOS 10.10 for cultural credibility.

• Reply 16 of 36
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member
    I wish Safari had a "dark background" feature allowing the user to darken white backgrounds on web pages. I hate it when I am up late at night with the brightness turned all the way down but still squinting in pain at the bright screen.

appleinsider.com is a good example (no offense guys).
  • Reply 17 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    malax wrote: »
    In a surprise appearance at the Cannes Lions festival, rapper Kanye West said a collaboration between fellow performer Jay Z and Samsung last year played into Apple's decision to introduce Dark Mode in iOS 10.10 for cultural credibility.
    Lame.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Oh, the memories of years gone by...

• Reply 19 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    haggar wrote: »
    Oh, the memories of years gone by...

[image]

Are you going to claim Apple stole this from themselves?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Looks good so far! Here's hoping they extend this option to Safari web pages & iOS 8.