Disney's 'Star Wars Scene Maker' lets users recreate iconic movie scenes on their iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2014
"Star Wars" fanatics can relive their love of the original trilogy in an entirely new way on Apple's iPad thanks to the new "Star Wars Scene Maker" app from Disney, which allows users to re-imagine and re-create scenes from the films.

The new app, which launched on Thursday, is the first in what Disney plans to be a series of "Scene Maker" downloads for iOS, featuring animated 3D models of characters, vehicles and environments. Users can manipulate these elements to create their own scenes from the iconic "Star Wars" films "A New Hope," "The Empire Strikes Back," and "Return of the Jedi."

The scene "The Battle of Endor" from the third film in the trilogy comes free with the app. Two more scenes -- "Cloud City Duel" from "Empire" and "Death Star Trench Run" from the first film --?are available for $2.99 each, or $3.99 for both.

The app boasts dialog from the films, and even the classic music from legendary composer John Williams. Nine official "Star Wars" film scores are available, as well as five lines of dialog from the original trilogy.

When filming, users can position three movable cameras within the 3D environment with three different shooting modes: fixed camera, fixed tracking camera, and chase camera.

Users also add their own characters, vehicles and props such as weapons -- each with their own custom actions -- to the scene. Options available in the free "Endor" scene include Han Solo, C-3P0, an AT-ST, Stormtroopers, and Ewoks.

While Han Solo comes with selectable lines of dialog from the film, users can also record their own. And when recording lines for characters like Stormtroopers, built-in voice filters allow the custom-made movie to have a more authentic feel.

Once the set pieces are in place, users can let the scene play out and add different actions or lines of dialog as it progresses. The three customized camera angles can also be switched between on the fly, choosing close-up, wide or action shots as needed.

When that's completed, the app also allows the addition of an iconic "Star Wars" title crawl to the beginning of the scene, as well as credits at the end. Naturally both of these can be modified to say whatever fits the scene that has just been created.

Videos can then be exported to YouTube or Facebook where they are free to be shared with others.

"At Disney Publishing, we are committed to reaching today's consumers in deeper, more engaging ways through innovative and immersive storytelling experiences," Andrew Sugerman, executive vice president of Disney Publishing Worldwide, said in a press release. "Star Wars Scene Maker allows us to put kids and fans of all ages in the director's seat and provide them with ways to unleash their creativity and share their passion for the Star Wars brand in a new way."

"Star Wars Scene Maker" is now available for free for iPad on the iOS App Store. Disney has promised that new content will be released through updates and in-app purchases, and that some of that content will focus on the upcoming "Star Wars Rebels" animated series on the Disney XD channel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wild. And to think I used to build models of all this stuff as a kid.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Wild. And to think I used to build models of all this stuff as a kid.

Now you can use a Tie-fighter, and shoot down Luke, and R2-D2 before they blow up the Death Star. ;)
  • Reply 3 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Looks like fun! Can I make Han shoot first again?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Now you can use a Tie-fighter, and shoot down Luke, and R2-D2 before they blow up the Death Star. ;)

I'm going to be that guy and correct you. ????

It's TIE (Twin Ion Engine) Fighter.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

I will make Han shoot FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 6 of 43
    I'm going to be that guy and correct you. ????

It's TIE (Twin Ion Engine) Fighter.

I always thought it was called a 'TIE' Fighter because that's what it looks like. :lol:
  • Reply 7 of 43
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I always thought it was called a 'TIE' Fighter because that's what it looks like. :lol:

You are both right. The model makers called it a "TIE" because it looked like a bow tie, they made up the "twin ion engine" description to give the acronym some basis in universe. Also consider it is pretty clear there is only one engine in the original TIE fighter.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Industrial Light and Magic App.

Replaces the an entire datacenter rendering farm, a graphics workstation the size of  your sofa, and hours/days of compute time and puts it in a box smaller than the VCR cassette the original movie shipped in.

Think about it.  

• Reply 9 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Firelock View Post

You are both right. The model makers called it a "TIE" because it looked like a bow tie, they made up the "twin ion engine" description to give the acronym some basis in universe. Also consider it is pretty clear there is only one engine in the original TIE fighter.

Life long star wars fan, and never knew this. Always just assumed the acronym came first....and now realize how stupid that is, considering how 'X-Wing' and 'Y-wing' got their oh-so-creative names.

• Reply 10 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Industrial Light and Magic App.

Replaces the an entire datacenter rendering farm, a graphics workstation the size of  your sofa, and hours/days of compute time and puts it in a box smaller than the VCR cassette the original movie shipped in.

Think about it.  

Not quite the same output quality but if they mixed it with cloud computing to take the movements made on the iPad and render them at full quality, that would be cool. Here's what the output quality could be like:

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

They'd probably get overloaded with requests though. I'd recreate the scene where the Stormtrooper bangs his head on the door:

[VIDEO]

Also, if Disney hadn't dismantled LucasArts, maybe we'd have a proper Star Wars game. It's not all their fault but they could have fixed it instead of abandoning it:

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749
    http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/04/21/lucasarts-fell-apart

[VIDEO]

This scene maker is what gets left. They could have ported over so many games:

https://www.lucasarts.com/games/platform.html

Monkey Island was already ported over as well as KOTOR. From now on, Disney will outsource development of future games but they're probably more interested in low risk development so I doubt we'll see many big titles. The Angry Birds Star Wars game happened after Disney bought out LucasFilm and Disney is listed as a distributor, although I'm not sure how much distribution was required unless it was the merchandise side:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/05/28/angry-birds-leads-to-star-wars-star-wars-leads-to-toys-toys-leads-to-30m-scans/
  • Reply 11 of 43
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Beaten to it, but I will make Han shoot first in every scene.

Will they release the prequels so fans can write better dialogue, plot, and kill JarJar?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    I think we now know what the J.J.Abrahms SW movies will be - a dramatic retelling of the current six part series inspired by fan re-created scenes using this app. Gah!
  • Reply 13 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blurpbleepbloop View Post

I think we now know what the J.J.Abrahms SW movies will be - a dramatic retelling of the current six part series inspired by fan re-created scenes using this app. Gah!

I'm not really looking forward to the new movies being directed by JJ Abrahms.

• Reply 14 of 43
    apple ][ wrote: »
     I'm not really looking forward to the new movies being directed by JJ Abrahms.

Why not? I think he's done a good job with Star Trek.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why not? I think he's done a good job with Star Trek.

I guess that it's just a matter of taste.

I was mostly thinking about his tv series, and I think that there's too much supernatural and weird things happening, like in Lost or Fringe or Revolution or his other series. It would be better without all of the ridiculous supernatural stuff in my opinion.

• Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

• Reply 17 of 43
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I guess that it's just a matter of taste.

I was mostly thinking about his tv series, and I think that there's too much supernatural and weird things happening, like in Lost or Fringe or Revolution or his other series. It would be better without all of the ridiculous supernatural stuff in my opinion.

The problem with the TV shows is that he starts them but then someone else takes over. They really botched the ending of LOST. The ending of anything should be what's written first, and then figure out how to get there. The time limit of a movie seems more suitable for JJ.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

The films that really need re-shooting are Episodes I, II, and III.

Just sayin'.

• Reply 19 of 43
    sockrolid wrote: »
    The films that really need re-shooting are Episodes I, II, and III.
    Just sayin'.

I personally want Porky's re-shot in 4K. ;)
  • Reply 20 of 43
    ascii wrote: »

That's perhaps what AppleInsider meant by "Star Wars fanatics can now relieve their love..." :lol: