Video shows high-quality 3D render of Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
With construction of Apple's massive new corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif., now underway, a 3D design shop has offered an advanced rendering, showcasing what Campus 2 is expected to look like once it's completed in 2016.

The above video was made by Technology Integration Services Inc., and was created based on publicly available info about Apple's Campus 2. The render showcases the huge "spaceship" building that represents the bulk of the project, but also provides a closer look at some of the smaller details.

The flyover view gives a glimpse at the nearby area and roads, as well as adjacent buildings that will accompany the main facility. Of note are the underground roads, nearby parking structures, and an impressive fountain located in the center of the "spaceship" building.

Construction is currently underway at the site of the future Apple campus, but as of now it's essentially a large, circular pile of dirt. Apple plans to officially move into the large main structure by 2016, while the accompanying secondary buildings will be finished on a rolling basis.

Render courtesy of Technology Integration Services Inc.

Last November, Apple won final approval for its Campus 2 plans, which were first unveiled in 2011 by Apple cofounder Steve Jobs. The large circular main structure that some have taken to calling the "spaceship" will house some 12,000 employees, while secondary buildings will accommodate meeting and presentation space.

The original price of the build was expected to be near $3 billion, but the budget quickly increased to $5 billion, causing a delay as architects tried to bring down costs. So-called "fit and finish" aspects of the planned construction, like the monolithic curved glass windows lining the main building's perimeter, were said to account for most of the inflated price tag.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Now do a render of the campus in flight mode¡
  • Reply 2 of 45
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Awww, too short. I wanna cruse all around; pick an apricot off a tree.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    BTW, $5 billion is virtually chump change to Apple. Facebook spent nearly 4x that amount to acquire WhatsApp.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Awww, too short. I wanna cruse all around; pick an apricot off a tree.

I want the model they used to play around in, myself. Free, of course. :p

• Reply 5 of 45
    Wow, that looks awesome!
  • Reply 6 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Pretty sweet. Looks fabulous. I like the music a lot too, however, in the beginning of the track I'm hearing some high static in the right channel. Is anyone else hearing that too or do I need to head over to the Apple store for some new headphones? I'm using my older Sony phones at work right now. My new AKG set is at home so I can't test it.

• Reply 7 of 45
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    No company builds a campus as big as the Pentagon with the intention of just selling iDevices. Apple must have some big stuff planned.
  • Reply 8 of 45

Cool video. They're using old info though; Apple has since modified the layout inside the circle to move the fountain/pond off to the side instead of center.

• Reply 9 of 45
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

BTW, $5 billion is virtually chump change to Apple. Facebook spent nearly 4x that amount to acquire WhatsApp.

Also they doubled the occupancy goal so a cost increase would be the normal result of that sort of change...

• Reply 10 of 45
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

No company builds a campus as big as the Pentagon with the intention of just selling iDevices. Apple must have some big stuff planned.

They already employ enough people to fill the thing....

• Reply 11 of 45
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Man, I'd like to see that on a Phone Fire!

• Reply 12 of 45
    mstone wrote: »
    Pretty sweet. Looks fabulous. I like the music a lot too, however, in the beginning of the track I'm hearing some high static in the right channel. Is anyone else hearing that too or do I need to head over to the Apple store for some new headphones? I'm using my older Sony phones at work right now. My new AKG set is at home so I can't test it.
    I picked it up too on my laptop.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Are all the rooftops covered with solar panels? Or is that just the way is was rendered?
  • Reply 14 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    Are all the rooftops covered with solar panels? Or is that just the way is was rendered?

I would hope so. Apple would make me a sad Panda if they wasted a bunch of land mass for all of those solar panels.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I hope the roofs are going to be solar panel based, or i'm going to be disappointed in Apples momentum in pushing renewable energy sources.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Does any one remember that there was one land owner who refused to sell? Is that the property with the orange roof at the bottom right corner in the beginning and also in the foreground near the end?

• Reply 17 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Campus 2 proper is designed to be, though I've not heard anything about any other buildings.

Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I hope the roofs are going to be solar panel based, or i'm going to be disappointed in Apples momentum in pushing renewable energy sources.

Nice false concern. Come off it.

• Reply 18 of 45
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member
    "just selling iDevices"

lol, like that hasn't worked out for them so far.

maybe they should just give the money back to the shareholders....?
  • Reply 19 of 45
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    zindako wrote: »
    Hope so
  • Reply 20 of 45
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Campus 2 proper is designed to be, though I've not heard anything about any other buildings.

Nice false concern. Come off it.

How is that a false concern, I love everything about Apple as a company, including their products, and their push for renewable energy sources such as solar. But it would be a half step if they build this magnificent structure and not include solar panels in its design. I'm assuming the rendered video shows what looks like solar panels, but not confirmed in any news released by Apple about the campus structural design.