Apple issues OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks beta to developers with no major changes

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2014
Apple on Thursday seeded a new beta build of the upcoming OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks maintenance update, with the latest version coming with minor bug fixes and minor tweaks.

The latest OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks build 13E19 marks the return to Apple's usual one-week build release interval, coming eight days after the second beta was issued earlier in June. The initial seed was issued at the end of May following the public release of OS X 10.9.3

As with the previous OS X 10.9.3 betas, Apple is asking developers to focus on Graphics Drivers and Safari. The new OS X 10.9.4 releases tack on extra areas of interest including Bluetooth, Audio Drivers, Finder and the App Store.

Developers can download the latest builds via Apple's Developer Portal or Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Still amazes me how well my early 2008 MBP runs this OS. Granted, I upgraded the RAM to 6GB back in 2009, but still...

And I expect that it'll run Yosemite just as well, if the first beta is anything by which to judge.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Still amazes me how well my early 2008 MBP runs this OS. Granted, I upgraded the RAM to 6GB back in 2009, but still...

And I expect that it'll run Yosemite just as well, if the first beta is anything by which to judge.

Oh but you should see the outrage and indignation at Apple’s discussions forums. Mavericks is declared to be the absolute worst, most unstable, bug ridden, feature deficient piece of crap Apple has ever released. It is unusable, unstable, unfriendly, and every other un- you can imagine. 

And if you dare to say otherwise, well, your days will be numbered. You’re just one of the ‘lucky’ ones for whom it runs well. EVERYONE else is dissatisfied, disenchanted, dismayed, depressed, disparaged.

Those discussions threads are hilarious to read by the way.

• Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Oh but you should see the outrage and indignation at Apple’s discussions forums. Mavericks is declared to be the absolute worst, most unstable, bug ridden, feature deficient piece of crap Apple has ever released. It is unusable, unstable, unfriendly, and every other un- you can imagine. 

And if you dare to say otherwise, well, your days will be numbered. You’re just one of the ‘lucky’ ones for whom it runs well. EVERYONE else is dissatisfied, disenchanted, dismayed, depressed, disparaged.

Right?

I don't get it, though. Maybe I'm just not paying attention. Which would mean I've been ignorant about how every available version of OS X that I have installed on this machine has been running since October 2008 (once the unibodies were released, I figured I could get a deal on the previous model, and I did.) 

I just never really had any complaints worth writing (ranting?) about, from Leopard to Mavericks. Everything always more or less performed as expected and to my satisfaction. Features present/absent are a different story, but I've always asked whether something works as intended, and if it does, then we've left the realm of bugs and defects and are looking at design decisions. And the design decisions that Apple has made from Leopard to Mavericks have run just fine on this machine. 

The only operating systems that didn't agree with this machine were Lion Beta 1, and now Yosemite Beta 2 (although Beta 1 ran great.) Beta 2 seems to keep my fans running like crazy. But these were and are betas. I expect Yosemite to run optimally or near it upon release, given that my machine is *officially* supported by Apple. Experience gives me no reason to believe otherwise. 

Everything seems reasonably quick in Mavericks, at least to the degree that I'm totally fooled by it if it isn't supposed to be this way. Safari does indeed feel snappy. Applications open quickly enough. The machine runs quiet, and has no problem driving a 24-inch display. Aperture works fine - my edits apply as they should. HD videos and movies play smoothly. Power management is as it should be - or at least how I want it. Activity Monitor usually doesn't report anything amiss or something that I don't already know about (occasional loads caused by Flash, etc.)  Games run as expected on a machine like this. It does what I want it to do to the degree that I don't notice anything. I just get work done and enjoy my media content on it and whatever else I like to use it for. It's a workhorse and does the job nicely. And it plays nicely with iCloud and my other Apple devices. 

Mission Control eye-candy animations aren't always as smooth as they could be, but I imagine it's due to the machine's age. The Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256MB isn't exactly the latest monster GPU. But even here, it's nothing particularly annoying. It still works reasonably well. 

I'm a pretty Joe Average user, though not afraid to play in the Terminal now and then, and I use a couple of "Pro" level tools on a regular basis, namely Aperture and InDesign (though the latter isn't the most recent version.) And I'll throw Mellel in there if we're talking word processors, since Mellel is probably one of the highest iterations of "pure" Mac word processors for "power users", and I'm quite happy with it. 

Nothing particularly negative to report.  *shrug*

I guess it's great to be so lucky.     ;) 

• Reply 4 of 11
    coolfishcoolfish Posts: 27member

I've encountered numerous problems with Mavericks. Right now, the screen arrangement is forgotten frequently. This bug has popped up before, they fix it, and then they regress it. Imagine coming back to your computer after getting a coffee, and now your cursor is hidden somewhere, and when you try to find it, you run up against a barrier because your monitor arrangement has changed for the 3rd time that day.

I've been a Mac guy for what, close to 15 years now. Have 2 MacBook Pros, an iPhone, and an iPad. And yea - Mavericks has been an utter disappointment to me. I'm sure there are people out there who haven't encountered any issues, but not everyone uses their systems as extensively as others.

• Reply 5 of 11

I’ll miss the mathematical logic that existed in going from 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 etc. Instead of going from 10.9 to 11.0, Apple are going to 10.10, which is the same as 10.1. Go figure...

????

• Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Quote:

So it is also unambiguously amazing? And unified, unctuous, undressed and like Ubun-tu? Fair do's.

• Reply 7 of 11
    I'm glad the idea of me wanting to throw my Mini through the window is funny to some, but for me Mavericks has been a nightmare. I'm experiencing a common problem: kernel_task is sucking most memory and processor power. I'll eagerly await a new release and version, and will grab Yosemite as soon as it's available.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Quote:

Well, i have you both know. I'm running Mavericks perfectly on my iMac 8,1 =P , Dual core 2.8Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, 4GB RAM. No hick ups or anything. Although i have had to run a software called smcFanControl to keep my system cool as apple haven't thought about my kind of macers. Also the original 320GB Macintosh HDD is capoot. totally broke. so brought myself a Crucial M500 240GB SSD. But other than that. this baby is still running strong :P good old 2008 Mac's aye lads. Yeh i got a good feeling Yosemite will run a beaut!!! Even when i upgrade to a newer mac, don't think ill get rid of this. my very first mac =) 

• Reply 9 of 11
    There's a kernel_task fix.

I'll post it shortly.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    lkrupp wrote: »

quadra 610 wrote: »

Well, i have you both know. I'm running Mavericks perfectly on my iMac 8,1 =P , Dual core 2.8Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, 4GB RAM. No hick ups or anything. Although i have had to run a software called smcFanControl to keep my system cool as apple haven't thought about my kind of macers. Also the original 320GB Macintosh HDD is capoot. totally broke. so brought myself a Crucial M500 240GB SSD. But other than that. this baby is still running strong :P good old 2008 Mac's aye lads. Yeh i got a good feeling Yosemite will run a beaut!!! Even when i upgrade to a newer mac, don't think ill get rid of this. my very first mac =) 

Glad to hear. Join the 2008 club! My HDD is fine, touch wood. Had to replace the optical drive fan, but only because I whacked my fists on my desk in a fit of rage, thereby causing the iMac to jump in the air.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    1. Go to About this mac under the apple in the upper left and click on More info
    2. Click on system report
    3. make a note of what it says after Model Identifier
    4. go to your master drive – System -Library – Extensions – IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext -Contents – Plugins – ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext – Contents – Resources – find the name from step 3 and move it to a folder that you can find again if needed.
    3. Restart and you’re done

You *might* have to repeat the process one more time (and first return the file to the folder), but all should be well. Kernel_task should stop consuming mega amounts of cpu.