Google focuses on fashion with new Glass frames from designer Diane von Furstenberg

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Fashion-conscious early adopters of Google's Glass hardware now have more stylish options for sporting the augmented reality headgear, as a series of frames designed in collaboration with fashion legend Diane von Furstenberg have been released by the search giant.

The collection consists of a single frame design offered in five different colors with a matched, detachable sunglass shade. Consumers can choose between shiny ink (charcoal frame with black shade), shiny lagoon (teal frame with blue shade), shiny elderberry (plum frame with bronze shade), matte java (brown frame with rose shade), and matte ice (white frame with green shade) sets.

Each of the $1,800 combinations -- shipping now from online fashion retailer Net-A-Porter and directly from Google --?is compatible with prescription eyeglass lenses and comes with a Google Glass module. Orders come with a five to seven day lead time.

The collaboration between Google and von Furstenberg is the Mountain View, Calif.-based company's first joint venture with a noted fashion brand and many believe the wrap dress icon's involvement is designed to bring a sense of "fashion street cred" to the bulky eyewear. Google has struck a similar partnership with fashion watch makers Fossil for its Android Wear smart watch platform.

Apple is thought to be considering fashion moves of its own for the highly anticipated -- though still unannounced -- "iWatch," with the iPhone maker bringing some high-powered fashion talent in-house in recent months.

Last summer, Apple hired Paul Deneve, formerly CEO of French fashion powerhouse YSL, as a "special advisor" to Apple chief Tim Cook. Then, in October, Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts famously jumped ship to take the reins of Apple's massively profitable retail empire as a senior vice president.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 169
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Like putting lipstick on a pig.
  • Reply 2 of 169

I had her luggage back in the 80s.

• Reply 3 of 169
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    yeah that is going to solve the problem of headaches and being crossed eyed.

Well are lest people may feel they look good and others may not notice that your eyes are crossed.

I said it before, Geek and Fashionista go together like oil and water.

This just proves Google has no clue what they are doing, 10 yrs from now analysis will be saying that Google jumped the shark with this whole google glasses along with Android.
  • Reply 4 of 169
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What is this Google Insider?
  • Reply 5 of 169
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Google has more money than sense.
  • Reply 6 of 169
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Honestly, most designers in the world tend to be their own person and can not be bough, well it looks like Diane von Furstenberg was bought by google. She can not believe that google glass are a fashion statement.

• Reply 7 of 169
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    You will get laughed at.

When you tell them the frames cost $1800, you will get laughed at harder.

How many of these will they sell? The +/- is 6.
  • Reply 8 of 169
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

• Reply 9 of 169
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

You guys shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Always remember that everyone laughed at Vista when it first came out.

Oh... wait...

• Reply 10 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm glad to see Google is trying to expand this product and focusing on woman but I can't see how this will work. It just looks like Google Glass glued to regular eyeglass frames.
  • Reply 11 of 169
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm glad to see Google is trying to expand this product and focusing on woman but I can't see how this will work. It just looks like Google Glass glued to regular eyeglass frames.

But it's "fashion glue".
  • Reply 12 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    But it's "fashion glue".

OK, if I ever buy a thoroughbred that I race in the Kentucky Derby that's sooo going to be its name.
  • Reply 13 of 169
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    I wear glasses and need progressive lenses(it sucks getting old), for everyday use... Hmmm no way, but when I'm out excersizing ... Maybe, but not at this price.
  • Reply 14 of 169
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

• Reply 15 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What is this Google Insider?

No; Apple Insider.

• Reply 16 of 169
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Wow, no thanks. I'll wait for the Apple iContacts that do the same thing in a few years!! That way, I can record 3D video from my contact lenses and be able to 'see' my text messages in stereo!!

LMAO - Technology is just so great!!
  • Reply 17 of 169

Oh Google; your hole is not getting any smaller.

• Reply 18 of 169
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member

Ugh. She is annoying. I guess they look a bit better than the original version. No desire to wear those things around though. It will be interesting to see how adoption goes outside of use on the job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

10 yrs from now analysis will be saying that Google jumped the shark with this whole google glasses along with Android.

Android is jumping the shark? Isn't it supposedly a complete copy of iOS? Regardless, after 6.5 years, I think we're a bit beyond a fad.

• Reply 19 of 169
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Nonsensical product in search of a problem to solve. Changing its appearance will amount to a hill of beans.

• Reply 20 of 169
    So stylish dorks and hipsters will think no one will notice they are Cylons.