Civilization Revolution 2 coming to iOS next month, FTL gets a deep discount

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2019
Apple gamers will get a leg up on consolers as 2K Games will bring the next iteration of Sid Meier's long-running Civilization series directly to iOS in July, while developer Subset Games has slashed the price of massively popular space command sim FTL for a limited time.

Civilization Revolution 2

In a first for the Civilization series, Civilization Revolution 2 will be developed exclusively for mobile devices. The original Civilization Revolution was released for consoles in 2008 and ported to iOS in 2009.

Publisher 2K games says that Civilization Revolution's "core tactical elements" will stay the same, fronted with a new mobile-focused user interface designed specifically for touchscreens. Players will be able to choose from classic leaders including Abraham Lincoln, Gandhi and Napoleon alongside newcomers Churchill and Kennedy.

The title will be playable on the iPhone, iPad, iPad mini, and iPod touch, though there is no word yet on which generations of devices will be supported.

Civilization Revolution 2 will be available on iOS beginning July 2. In the meantime, its predecessor is available now as a $2.99, 125-megabyte download from the App Store.

FTL: Faster Than Light

The summer game sale has become an annual right of passage for PC and mobile gamers, and FTL developer Subset Games has thrown their lot in with the trend. FTL, in which you take command of a spaceship attempting to save the galaxy, is now on sale for $6.99 -- a 30 percent discount -- until July.

FTL is one of the most popular space-themed games in recent memory, nominated for IGN's Game of the Year in 2012 and winning Best Short-Form Game from PC Gamer in the same year. The "Oregon Trail in space"-style game tasks players with giving orders to their crew, strategically upgrading their ship, and working their way through a number of text-based battles.

FTL version 1.5.10 is available now as a $6.99, 173-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    I hope they improve the AI on Civ Revolution 2. If they don't it won't be worth playing. The AI on the console version of Civ Rev was bad, but it was much worse on the iPad. The core mechanics work fine, and while the UI could use some enhancement, the AI is the big problem.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I love civilization!

I wasn't too crazy about civilization revolution though, because I found it to be a bit too simple for my tastes. Hopefully CIv Rev 2 will be a lot better.

The best Civilization ever is Civ II, then comes Civ V, then comes Civ IV. 

• Reply 3 of 5
    I hope they release Civ 2 worldwide at the same time. Last time I didn't see it in the New Zealand store until a year after it was originally released for iOS.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

FTL is a fantastic game and well worth the standard price.

• Reply 5 of 5
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Yes, FTL is really fun.