Apple looking to expand Siri localization with at least 9 new languages

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
A number of recently discovered jobs listings on Apple's website hint at future Siri localization, with the company looking to hire native speakers of languages used in burgeoning markets like Brazil and Russia.

According to Apple's "Jobs at Apple" website, the company is seeking "Siri Language Engineers" fluent in Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish and Russian, all of which are currently unsupported by the voice recognizing digital assistant. The job postings were first uncovered by MacRumors.

Along with the nine new languages, Apple is looking to enhance Siri's existing lexicon with hires fluent in Australian and British English, Cantonese and Japanese. All listings ask not only for fluency, but for native speakers to handle colloquialisms locals may use when speaking to Siri. Apple also strives to make Siri's own speech as natural as possible, meaning the potential hires will likely be working on responses to user queries.

Most listings, posted between June 10 and June 19, also require candidates to have strong software development skills to be plied toward speech recognition, natural language processing, machine learning and speech synthesis.

Tasks for many Siri Language Engineers include developing natural language processing code and providing input toward new features applicable to a target market, suggesting location-specific Siri assets may be deployed in the near future.

Since Siri's introduction in iOS 5, Apple has been constantly upgrading its virtual assistant to handle increasingly complex tasks. For example, Siri will roll in integrated smart home commands when the upcoming iOS 8 operating system debuts later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Is there anybody else (who is an American) who uses the British female SIRI instead of the American female SIRI? It just sounds better to me.

I think that Apple should work on making SIRI sound sexier.

• Reply 2 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

“You have nothing on your calendar at 9 o’clock tonight… shall I… pencil myself in?”

“I found two wineries near you. And a store nearby that sells candied fruits. My favorite is pineapple. Just a hint.”

“Okay, [movie] is playing at [time] at [theater]. I’ve always liked [that movie’s genre] more than romantic comedies.”

“[Ex-girlfriend’s name] removed from contacts. There, there. I’m here. Want to talk about it?”

“Hey! That’s a third party Lightning cable! Don’t put that in there; we don’t know where it has been!”

Now I’m confused and frightened.

• Reply 3 of 9
    While I'm really happy Sweden might finally get Siri I'm a bit puzzled why. Sure iPhone is VERY popular here, but how many can they sell in a country with 9 million people?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    G'day mate, if this is deadset, then bonza beauty and worth a fair suck of the saveloy and no raw prawn. Only hope it works back of Bourke as well as in the big smoke. Also the cockie's won't be too impressed if the sheila's voice sounds too much like a dag. She's got to be dinky-di otherwise it just won't pass muster.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I was hoping for Catalan. I went to check this morning to see if they had it and realized they didn't.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I was hoping for Catalan.

Maybe after you get independence.

• Reply 7 of 9
    Maybe after you get independence.

I'm not from there nor do I live there currently, independence is their problem.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member

I hope English is one of them.

• Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

“You have nothing on your calendar at 9 o’clock tonight… shall I… pencil myself in?”

“I found two wineries near you. And a store nearby that sells candied fruits. My favorite is pineapple. Just a hint.”

“Okay, [movie] is playing at [time] at [theater]. I’ve always liked [that movie’s genre] more than romantic comedies.”

“[Ex-girlfriend’s name] removed from contacts. There, there. I’m here. Want to talk about it?”

“Hey! That’s a third party Lightning cable! Don’t put that in there; we don’t know where it has been!”

Now I’m confused and frightened.

My sides are splitting!