Apple updates iWork for iCloud with persistent document settings, keyboard shortcut tips, more

Posted:
in iCloud edited July 2014
Apple on Tuesday updated its iWork for iCloud productivity suite with new functions that make switching between OS X, iOS and the cloud a less jarring experience.

First spotted by The Loop, Apple's latest additions bring the cloud-based Pages, Numbers and Keynote more in line with current Mac and iOS versions as the company works to converge the suite into a more uniform user experience.

With the update, all three apps -- Pages, Numbers and Keynote -- get persistent document settings, which means iCloud "remembers," or syncs over, things like zoom level, last selected sheet or slide, show/hide guides and more.

In addition, the update also suggests a user's most recent screen name when opening a shared document, making it easier to quickly collaborate on a project. Previously, users had to choose their screen name to open a file.

iWork for iCloud now includes tips on how to invoke basic functions like cut/copy/paste using keyboard shortcuts. As seen in the image above, the new shortcut commands are displayed in the contextual Numbers pop-up menu much like the desktop version of the app.

Finally, right-clicking on an inserted image like the one above brings up a dynamic masking tool that can crop and size graphics.

Apple last updated iWork for iCloud in May by adding the ability to collaborate with up to 100 people and support for documents up to 1GB in size.

The latest iWork for iCloud version is rolling out now and can be used with a registered iCloud.com account.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest

New features are welcome in iWork for iCloud... Thanks Apple!

• Reply 2 of 23
    Is iWorks back to the feature set it had before the shit was ripped out of it? Or is it still crippled?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Is iWorks back to the feature set it had before the shit was ripped out of it? Or is it still crippled?

If you actually gave a shit, and even used iWork, you would do the research and find out (not so hard), instead of presenting such a trollish, mind-numbingly idiotic statement. "Shit ripped out of it"? "Crippled"? Yeah, ok. It has more features than it even had before it was rebuilt from the ground up (your definition of "the shit was ripped out of it"), as well as the bonus of being faster, more stable, and having 100% compatibility and collaboration features between OSX, iOS, and the web. 

It's anything but "crippled". Some of you can't see 2 feet beyond your own nose. 

• Reply 4 of 23
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

If you actually gave a shit, and even used iWork, you would do the research and find out (not so hard), instead of presenting such a trollish, mind-numbingly idiotic statement. "Shit ripped out of it"? "Crippled"? Yeah, ok. It has more features than it even had before it was rebuilt from the ground up (your definition of "the shit was ripped out of it"), as well as the bonus of being faster, more stable, and having 100% compatibility and collaboration features between OSX, iOS, and the web. 

It's anything but "crippled". Some of you can't see 2 feet beyond your own nose. 

I needed a good laugh, thanks.

I've found that each version is getting better and better. All apps are very useable. I've starting using Keynote instead of PPT for many things at work simply because it has almost no legacy baggage. 

• Reply 5 of 23
    slurpy wrote: »

Sooo, you don't the answer either?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    kkerst wrote: »
    I've found that each version is getting better and better. All apps are very useable. I've starting using Keynote instead of PPT for many things at work simply because it has almost no legacy baggage. 

But, but, but....is better and better yet back to where it once was???
  • Reply 7 of 23
    gregnacugregnacu Posts: 29member
    I hope I don't come off as a troll.

I use the new pages for Mac and for iOS everyday. I've gotten used to the new interface, and I do kinda like it. It feels less complicated. There are still a couple of features that I really miss and can't wait till they get added back in. Number one for me is that in the old pages you could rearrange pages just by dragging them around in the side bar. In the new pages you can only rearrange whole "sections" which might be many many many pages long each.

I find pages to be just as fast as the old version. However, when it comes to Numbers, the old version was actually much faster. I don't know why the new version isn't as fast. I assume it just hasn't had time to get optimized. But,if you have a sheet with say 10,000 rows, scrolling up and down is brutal. The screen doesn't have time to repaint while scrolling and so the check board pattern is showing most of the time that you're scrolling. The old numbers never had this problem.

Fortunately, in my job, I don't use numbers but maybe once or twice a month. And I am convinced that they'll fix the problems. BTW, being able to seamlessly go from iOS pages to Mac pages with a document stored in iCloud is the friggen bomb! I can work on my iMac and when I have to go to the can, I can carry on almost immediately with the ipad on my lap. About a one minute delay or less in getting the update.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregnacu View Post

... I can work on my iMac and when I have to go to the can, I can carry on almost immediately with the ipad on my lap. About a one minute delay or less in getting the update.

Now that's what I call time management...

• Reply 9 of 23
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member

Good stuff – though unless I'm missing something, the masking is only cropping to a rectangle, not the ability to mask to any shape (as on iWork for Mac).

• Reply 10 of 23
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Serious question: Are there any usable workarounds for Endnote referencing support, mailmerge and pivot tables?

These are literally the only 3 things keeping me from ditching Microsoft Office forever.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    But, but, but....is better and better yet back to where it once was???

Well if you're referring to only the web apps, they're better with each iteration. I never used the OS X apps, only the web and ios versions.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    gregnacu wrote: »
    I hope I don't come off as a troll.

BTW, being able to seamlessly go from iOS pages to Mac pages with a document stored in iCloud is the friggen bomb! I can work on my iMac and when I have to go to the can, I can carry on almost immediately with the ipad on my lap. About a one minute delay or less in getting the update.

I timed it from updating a doc from ios to when it shows up on a computer running Firefox in Windows and Safari on Mavericks. On the average, the update takes 30-50 seconds to auto sync. The cool trick is to have the same doc open between two computers - there's no lag at all; you can see your typing on the other computer instantly, pretty much real time.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Apple does:

http://www.apple.com/productivity-apps/whats-new/numbers/

Sharing
    New “view only” setting lets you share spreadsheets you want others to view but not edit
    View a list of spreadsheets others have shared with you in the document manager
    Share password-protected spreadsheets
    Print your spreadsheets directly from the Tools menu
    Collaboration
    Collaborate with up to 100 people at the same time
    View the list of collaborators currently in a spreadsheet
    See cursors and selections for everyone in a spreadsheet
    Jump to a collaborator’s cursor by clicking the name in the collaborator list
    Jump to a collaborator’s sheet selection
    Watch images and shapes animate as your collaborators move them around
    Working with data
    Create and format 2D and interactive charts
    Flow text into adjacent cells
    Keyboard shortcuts for precise rotating, resizing, and repositioning of objects
    Create links using the HYPERLINK function
    Conditional highlighting rules are preserved on import
    Custom data formats are preserved on import
    Pop-up menus are preserved on import
    Design tools
    Almost 200 new fonts
    More color options in the format panel
    Apply rich formatting to text in table cells
    Turn on Alternating Row Color in tables
    Insert images up to 10MB in size
    Microsoft Excel compatibility
    Open password-protected Numbers ’09 and Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
    Accessibility
    Improved VoiceOver support for document manager
    Usability and performance
    All-new design
    Use folders to organize your spreadsheets
    Drag and drop to reorder sheets
    Open spreadsheets directly from iCloud Mail
    Edit spreadsheets up to 1GB in size
    Export to CSV
    Improved CSV import
    Support for Retina display

http://www.apple.com/productivity-apps/whats-new/pages/

Word processing
    Improved EndNote support, including citations in footnotes
    View character count with or without spaces
    Copy-paste style improvements
    Start a list automatically using new special characters
    New Arabic and Hebrew templates
    Improved support for bidirectional text
    Word count for Hebrew
    Design tools
    Center and edge guides are on by default
    Delete, duplicate, and reorder sections using the page navigator
    Inline images and shapes in table cells are preserved on import
    Show rulers as a percentage of document size
    Improved Instant Alpha image editing
    Media Browser improvements, including search
    Create charts with date, time, and duration values
    Create custom data formats
    Control the z-order of bubble chart labels
    Sharing
    New “view only” setting lets you share documents you want others to view but not edit
    Share password-protected documents via iCloud link
    Improved ePub export
    Microsoft Word compatibility
    Improved compatibility with Microsoft Word 2013 documents
    Export password-protected documents to DOCX format
    Custom number formats in charts are preserved on import of Pages ’09 and Microsoft Word documents
    Customize the toolbar with your most important tools
    Better placement of inserted and pasted objects
    Improved text box behavior
    Improved AppleScript support

http://www.apple.com/productivity-apps/whats-new/keynote/

Sharing
    New “view only” setting lets you share presentations you want others to view but not edit
    View a list of presentations others have shared with you in the document manager
    Print your presentations directly from the Tools menu
    Share password-protected presentations via iCloud link
    Open attachments directly from iCloud Mail
    Collaboration
    Collaborate with up to 100 people at the same time
    View the list of collaborators currently in a presentation
    See cursors and selections for everyone in a presentation
    Jump to a collaborator’s cursor by clicking the name in the collaborator list
    Watch images and shapes animate as your collaborators move them around
    Jump to a collaborator’s slide selection
    Editing
    Almost 200 new fonts
    Insert, edit, and format inline tables
    Show and hide slide numbers
    Insert images up to 10MB in size
    Charting
    Create and format 2D and interactive charts
    Update charts using the chart data editor
    Microsoft PowerPoint compatibility
    Export to PPTX format
    Open password-protected Keynote ’09 and Microsoft PowerPoint presentations
    All-new design
    Improvements to accessibility
    Improved support for Retina display
    Edit documents up to 1GB in size

This article would be a better one if it had this info included from Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Considering Apple rewrote the apps from the ground up, it didn't rip anything out. It just elected not to include certain features and to include different features it didn't include with the old software. Considering the software is free it seems strange you wouldn't just check it out to answer your own question.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Serious question: Are there any usable workarounds for Endnote referencing support, mailmerge and pivot tables?

These are literally the only 3 things keeping me from ditching Microsoft Office forever.

Don't know about two others, but regarding pivot tables (one of the coolest things in Excel):

No the Numbers does not have support for Pivot tables.

http://www.apple.com/mac/numbers/compatibility/

And as I have heard, the closest thing was Category View, and that's gone in the recent upgrade.

• Reply 16 of 23
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Or perhaps your too dim witted to ask a proper question, like specifying what alleged features you are missing.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wonder if in time we will see a end of the non-virtual versions of iWorks for Mac at least? Nah, no use for off line, what am I thinking!

Which brings me to a slightly off topic thought I often have ... why can't we have non web based internet apps on the Mac? Watching the ESPN app for the world cup has been fabulous, going to ESPN web site on the Mac isn't even close. The same app could run on a Mac in a heart beat!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Glad to see the more-or-less regular releases. Dynamic column formatting is the feature I most miss (e.g. color the cell red if the number is less than 0 or blue if the text matches a defined string, etc.)
  • Reply 19 of 23
    dunks wrote: »

The new Pages has a downloadable plugin so you can use EndNote with it. Check here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6009

I guess that mail merge and pivot tables aren't part of the new iWork until this day, unfortunately.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Wow, did he slept with your girlfriend or stole your Oreo cookie?

Anyway to answer: Pages still lacks a lot of features from the old version (4.x) and the usability of managing images and setting/getting styles is horrible.
    Other than that it's a nice but simple word processor.
    slurpy wrote: »