Rumor: Third beta of Apple's iOS 8 will be provided to developers July 8

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Developers may have to wait a few more weeks before the third beta of iOS 8 is supplied, as a new rumor claims that the software is currently scheduled for release on Tuesday, July 8.

The alleged release date of iOS 8 beta 3 was reported on Thursday by BGR, which cited "trusted sources." The publication's sources at U.S. carriers have provided accurate information on iOS beta releases in the past.

If true, the release date would be later than expected, as Apple traditionally issues new beta builds to developers on a two week schedule. The second beta of iOS 8 was release on June 17, just over two weeks after the launch of beta 1.

Last year, iOS 7 Beta 3 was released on Monday, July 8. But Apple's 2013 Worldwide Developers Conference, where iOS 7 was officially announced, was also held a week later than this year, and Apple maintained the two-week release schedule.

The second beta of iOS 8 released earlier this month made Apple's Podcasts application a native, built-in app for iPhone users. It also marked the iPad debut of the new QuickType keyboard, which suggests words as users type.

Scheduled to launch this fall, iOS 8 features support for third-party keyboards and Siri-based controls of smart home appliances. It will also include a new Health application that will collect users' health and fitness data, while the Touch ID fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 5s will become accessible for third-party developers to tap into.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Wow developers may have to wait one week longer to get the next IOS 8 Beta. Big whoop! Are developers going to stop using iOS 8 Beta 2 next week? I think not. Are developers being inconvienced in any way? No. But this rumor has to make the rounds because iOS 8 Beta 3 might not be released on the Date someone expected it to be released.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    heryqkheryqk Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Wow developers may have to wait one week longer to get the next IOS 8 Beta. Big whoop! Are developers going to stop using iOS 8 Beta 2 next week? I think not. Are developers being inconvienced in any way? No. But this rumor has to make the rounds because iOS 8 Beta 3 might not be released on the Date someone expected it to be released.

Unfortunately, I think this post is targeted at consumers who installed a very buggy beta version of iOS8 on their main phone/tablet. For those people, 1 extra week might seem like the end of the world. 

For developers, I agree, a week's delay is really not that big of a deal.

Lesson of the day: don't install beta software on your main devices.

• Reply 3 of 13
    jman225jman225 Posts: 18member
    I need this update today.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    The more iOS 8 beta updates, the better. Still not going to use it on my personal iPhone and iPad though. Only on test devices until closer to public release.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    July 8 is in less than 2 weeks. Please explain to me how that translates into "a few more weeks"?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Yosemite DP2, too, then.

• Reply 7 of 13
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yosemite DP2, too, then.

That's already out.  It's called update 1.  

• Reply 8 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That's already out.  It’s called update 1.  

No, it’s called update 1 for DP1. That would be why I didn’t say DP3. :no:

• Reply 9 of 13
    slurpy wrote: »
    July 8 is in less than 2 weeks. Please explain to me how that translates into "a few more weeks"?
    It's supposed to come next week or something but is delayed a week.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

It's supposed to come next week or something but is delayed a week.

To add to your point: which breaks their typically release pattern of ~2 weeks. It's never been official and there's been period of darkness before, but it's nice to know ahead of time. 

Quote:

I believe Update 1 for DP1 moved Yosemite into (and is equal to) Developer Preview 2, build "14A261i". It's a little confusing now, since they are delivering those updates via Mac App Store so I may be crazy, too. 

But the next OS X update we will see is DP3, as indicated by the labeling progression within the Dev Center.

• Reply 11 of 13

So true. AND watch it come out on the 1st (or 2nd) anyway Lmao. Would love to know his trusted sources; he has apple spies, and  i heard he's got some blueberry ones too.. HA--hahah---HA. 

• Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

To add to your point: which breaks their typically release pattern of ~2 weeks. It's never been official and there's been period of darkness before, but it's nice to know ahead of time. 

I believe Update 1 for DP1 moved Yosemite into (and is equal to) Developer Preview 2, build "14A261i". It's a little confusing now, since they are delivering those updates via Mac App Store so I may be crazy, too. 

But the next OS X update we will see is DP3, as indicated by the labeling progression within the Dev Center.

"yeah Update 1=Developer Preview 2. They came out with Developer Preview 2 release notes....done lol
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

"OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 2" was released Jun 17th. I am logged in to my account and looking at it right now in Apple developers website.