Apple's Podcasts app sees widespread crashing issues, rendered unusable for many [update: fixed]

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
A number of iOS device owners on Thursday are experiencing major issues with Apple's first-party Podcasts app, saying the title is unusable due to constant hangs and crashes.

Following tips from readers, AppleInsider has confirmed that Podcasts, or perhaps the iTunes servers to which Podcasts connects, is crashing on multiple iOS devices.

The issue cropped up late this afternoon, with many reports claiming the app was stalling or crashing almost immediately after launch.

In most cases, users are able to launch and interact with the app for about five seconds before it unexpectedly crashes. Small amounts of data can be transferred from Apple's servers, usually in the form of podcast feed art or partial search results. Crash events appear to occur when the app attempts to connect with Apple's iTunes servers, as queries cause an almost immediate shutdown.

So far, the app is not working on multiple iPhone and iPad models, as well as devices testing out the latest beta build of Apple's iOS 8 mobile operating system. The company announced in June that the next-generation iOS will come bundled with Podcasts, meaning users cannot uninstall the app.

It is unclear what is causing the problem, though Apple's System Status is green across the board.

Podcasts, a free download from the App Store, was last updated on May 29.

Update: As Apple works toward a fix to the Podcasts issue, a workaround discovered by iMore serves as a temporary solution for reestablishing the app's connection with iTunes, which in turn will keep it from crashing. The procedure is as follows:
  1. Pull up from the bottom of the screen for Control Center
  2. Tap the Airplane mode icon to turn of the internet connection (presumably to prevent Podcasts from trying to contact iTunes).
  3. Pull to refresh on the main Podcasts screen (presumably that clears whatever bad bits got stuck).
  4. Pull up from the bottom of the screen for Control Center again.
  5. Tap the Airplane mode icon to turn the internet connection back on.
Update 2: It appears that as of around 2 a.m. Eastern, Apple has resolved the Poscasts app's connectivity issue for most users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Speaking of betas, some iBooks Author files and templates are broken in Yosemite, too.

Hopefully, that is. I'd prefer not to have to rewrite hundreds of pages.

• Reply 2 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    PUT PODCASTS BACK IN THE MUSIC APP!!

I DON'T BEED ANYMORE HOME SCREEN CLUTTER!!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Until Apple fixes the problem with their servers, the simple workaround is activate Airplane Mode, start playing the desired previously downloaded podcast, then disable Airplane Mode.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I've been using the music app all morning, but just switch on the podcasts app to see if it would crash for me. No problems here, podcasts are loading/playing fine, no crashing. So hopefully Apple quickly fixed that problem.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1: it's happening here, too.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

+1 all caps. They can hear you much better if you shout. I see you only added two exclamation points. You really should consider a few more. </troll>

I do agree with your point tho. I haven't found the perfect app yet but I do prefer Instacast.

• Reply 7 of 23
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Nothing wrong on my side?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Crazy talk, its so much better being separate, for me.

Id rather have an extra app then having a cluttered or under featured music app & cluttered or under featured podcast app.

My guess is, the music app  with podcasts was too messy for apple.

• Reply 9 of 23
    Another work around is getting Siri to play your pod cast. You won't be able to pick the exact podcast, but it will pick up where you last left off. Hopefully this problem gets fixed soon.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    heli0sheli0s Posts: 65member
    The app won't crash only if you enable Airplane mode before opening it, so it's clearly a network issue.

The bigger point here is that Podcasts, since its launch has been the WORST piece of software Apple makes currently, as attested by the countless 1-star reviews on iTunes of all versions. The sync is broken/slow/unreliable/insert-negative-comment-here. The app itself is unstable. Subscription to podcasts requiring login credentials is impossible on iOS, even though iCloud would sync those unplayable podcasts to your iOS devices.

As I wrote in my review: Apple should simply buy Downcast and rebrand it. Downcast uses iCloud for syncing and it actually works. UI is not exactly great, but again - the app, the sync, the login credentials, all that works.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Podcast app, definitely right up there with Microsoft BOB...
  • Reply 12 of 23
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    This was crashing like crazy. Now it's not and I didn't do anything. Me thinks server problem they caught.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I reeeally hope they fix the ap! I love it very much, but I can't download podcasts anymore, only stream:(
  • Reply 14 of 23
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    This app has been jinxed from the start. Fortunately, I can still use the iTunes app to listen to podcasts. Just set up a playlist and drag all them into it. I can even put them in an order I like. Sync iTunes on my Mac with my iPhone and all is hunky dory.
  • Reply 15 of 23

And they still won't let you download podcasts larger than 100MB over the cellular network. For ****'s sake, I have unlimited wireless and it's faster than my cable connection, why is Apple preventing me from doing what I want?

• Reply 16 of 23
    I had this problem a while ago, and it was due to a corrupted Podcast index. Deleting the Podcast app and reinstalling rebuilt my index and fixed the crash on startup problem.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Reading about all the bullets I keep dodging by staying on iOS 6 :D
  • Reply 18 of 23
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    No problems here on my iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.3
  • Reply 19 of 23
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

If you're having problems with Apple's podcast app then I recommend Downcast as a great alternative. I've found it to be a lot more reliable and it has a lot of features missing from the official podcast app.

• Reply 20 of 23
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member

Same here, works fine, iPhone 5, 7.1.1