I ordered a MacPro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2014

I have been looking at this for months and today made the order.  Went with the low end(?) 6 core, 1TB drive.  Now will use this with an old Dell monitor.  

I am not sure which monitor to buy.  I am waiting to see if Apple will update their Thunderbolt monitor.  Maybe they will update this year.  

Delivery is 1 to 2 weeks. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

MAZEL TOV

• Reply 2 of 10
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Congratulations! A Mac Pro is not "low end".

Which GPU?

I have a  6-core, 1TB, D700 machine and it is a workhorse.  Lots of people went this model as it is the sweet spot between price and overall performance (CPU speed for non-CPU-intensive apps and number of cores for multi-core apps).

Hope you enjoy yours!

• Reply 3 of 10
    lanceh5lanceh5 Posts: 37member
    The next purchase is a new monitor. I had started to convert, edit and merge, our large library of home movies when the old 27 in iMac faild, still not repaired. So looking for a monitor about that size.

This is the order.
    Mac Pro

With the following configuration:

• 3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    • 16GB (4x4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    • 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
    • Dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
    • User's Guide (English)
    • Accessory Kit
  • Reply 4 of 10

I hear you on a monitor.  Right now I use my 27" iMac (which I still use) connected with a Thunderbolt cable; I still use the iMac so this works pretty well,, especially on a tiny desk.

There are some nice displays out there, including some 4K displays.  One maker actually has a model that looks like an iMac and is the same size (27) and number of pixels.  I think it was under $650.  However, it is glossy.

Don't know if you are interested in one or not but I recently got an adjustable arm for a new monitor and now wonder why I haven't used one all along; it is awesome.  My next iMac will have a VESA mount!

• Reply 5 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    lanceh5 wrote: »
    The next purchase is a new monitor. I had started to convert, edit and merge, our large library of home movies when the old 27 in iMac faild, still not repaired. So looking for a monitor about that size.

Check to see if your 27" iMac is supported for use as a display with the Mac Pro:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#1

Is the iMac not turning on or does it just have a HDD failure?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

A Mac Pro is the workhorse of the Apple lineup and it is quite reliable also.Many business owners have this especially in the publishing field where I  use to work in.

• Reply 7 of 10
    I made an epic fail on the old iMac. I ordered an 1TB SSD from OWC that installed in the optical drive loaction so there are two internal drives. The Reno authorized Apple store installed the drive witch was a 4 hr drive up and 4 hr drive back home and they charged $150. Well the SSD drive was like having a new computer, it was working great. This lasted about 3 weeks and the SSD stopped working. I did all of the diagnosos then called OWC who said to send the SSD back to them for a replacement.

Well I did not want to make the 8 hr round trip and pay another $150 to remove the drive. I looked at OWC's vedio instructions three times and made a page of notes on the procedure to remove the drive. The glass front came off easy, the first cable disconnected easly but the second cable was some what more difficult to remove and when that happeded my wife who was helping tilted the screen back too much and the third cable pulled the surface mount connector from the circuit board.

I am still waiting for the replacement SSD from OWC and a Apple authorized dealer can replace the broken circuit board. This original 27 in 2.8 Ghz i7 iMac was a good computer, a SSD makes it even better.
  • Reply 8 of 10

Has it arrived, yet?

• Reply 9 of 10

I got the MacPro July 18, 2014.  This is a sweet machine.   Working with converting and editing my home VHS movies is much faster.  I got an OWC DVD burner that connects with  USB3 which I want to burn the home movies.  

I am using an old Dell monitor and need to upgrade and considering this NEC from Amazon:  

EA244UHD 24" 4K 3840 x 2160 1000:1 Widescreen Desktop Monitor with IPS Panel

by NEC

Price: $1,363.50 + $15.22 shipping

Ships from and sold by Beach Audio.

• Panel Technology: AH-IPS

• Viewable Image Size: 23.8"

• Aspect Ratio: 16:9

• Native Resolution: 3840 x 2160

• Pixel Pitch: 0.14mm

This is a 24" screen but the other 4K monitors that I have looked at cost over $2,000.  I wish Apple would update their monitor line.  

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lanceh5 View Post

This is a 24" screen but the other 4K monitors that I have looked at cost over $2,000.  I wish Apple would update their monitor line.  

A - Yeah, they can be a pretty penny.

B-  Lots of people are probably waiting for Apple to get with it.  They had a perfect chance to release a display when they released the Mac Pro.  They would have sold well.  Now lots of people have gone elsewhere so whatever (if ever) Apple releases may not sell in the same volume, at least not at first.

BTW Glad to hear you are enjoying the new machine.  It is awesome.  I have only heard the fan ramp up a few times, but only when churning through intensive 3D scenes.

What apps are you using for your workflow?