New photos purport to show tweaked Touch ID sensor for Apple's 'iPhone 6'

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
With Apple believed to be in the final stages of preparation to begin manufacturing its next-generation iPhones, a slightly redesigned Touch ID component said to be headed for the so-called iPhone 6 has surfaced from Japan.

Apple appears to have slightly reconfigured the iPhone 6's internal layout, as the purported Touch ID module has had its mounting bracket moved to the opposite side of the ribbon cable. The part was revealed by ascii.jp and first noticed by nowhereelse.fr.

The sensor itself also seems to have been slightly redesigned, with new shielding on the rear and a slight alteration of its overall shape.

It is unclear at what stage of manufacturing the parts were photographed. Though they came from Japanese media, the Touch ID sensor components are fabricated in Taiwan by chip firm TSMC and likely assembled by a second partner either in Taiwan or mainland China.

The same website previously published purportedly leaked images of a "manufacturing mockup" of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6. Apple is also thought to be prepping a larger, 5.5-inch "phablet" variant and both are expected to feature a relocated sleep/wake button and a next-generation "A8" processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    It's amazing to think about how these slight modifications are thought up by engineers and designers and the big impact they have (more room for other parts, etc)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Stopped using Touch ID when it started forgetting my prints and I had to redo them three times. Have been told that it has been fixed, but it's just too damn much trouble. Will wait until Apple comes up with a passive form of biometrics that doesn't require so much fiddling. The only thing worth stealing on my phone anyway are passwords, and they're locked up in 1Password.

Come to think of it, maybe that's the answer. A lockbox. User decides which functions require Touch ID, and which don't. Move the ones that do behind the Touch ID firewall, and those that don't are ready to go when you pick up your phone. No more fingerprint to do basic low security stuff like making a call or sending a text.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Stopped using Touch ID when it started forgetting my prints and I had to redo them three times. Have been told that it has been fixed, but it's just too damn much trouble. Will wait until Apple comes up with a passive form of biometrics that doesn't require so much fiddling.

I noticed the same thing.

Like you I found this rather frustrating. Unlike you, I was patient and started to enjoy Touch ID once Apple fixed this issue.

It's a shame Touch ID did not make it to the Retina iPad mini, because I often find myself holding my finger on the home button waiting to unlock it.

Touch ID is a wonderful feature on the iPhone 5s, and I find it quite reliable today.

• Reply 4 of 11
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Stopped using Touch ID when it started forgetting my prints and I had to redo them three times. Have been told that it has been fixed, but it's just too damn much trouble. Will wait until Apple comes up with a passive form of biometrics that doesn't require so much fiddling. The only thing worth stealing on my phone anyway are passwords, and they're locked up in 1Password.

Come to think of it, maybe that's the answer. A lockbox. User decides which functions require Touch ID, and which don't. Move the ones that do behind the Touch ID firewall, and those that don't are ready to go when you pick up your phone.

I can't imagine a more remarkable feature. My habits changes so quickly after its inclusion that I very often instinctively try to unlock my iPad as if it had Touch ID. It's allowed me to have more security on my device while simultaneously have more convenience.

No more fingerprint to do basic low security stuff like making a call or sending a text.

Can't you do all that using Siri?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Never had a problem with it...must have big prints?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Cook said Apple needed to double down on secrecy; doesn't look like it's working out for him.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Cook said Apple needed to double down on secrecy; doesn't look like it's working out for him.

What isn’t working out is people using that old schtick as though they’re saying something meaningful in any respect.

EDIT: And of course I got rid of my KFC Double Down edit because I thought, “Hey, we’ll never hear THIS again!”

• Reply 8 of 11
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What isn’t working out is people using that old schtick as though they’re saying something meaningful in any respect.

I dont understand what people are expecting. In Blackjack doubling down means doubling your financial commitment but it doesn't mean you'll be successful.

In what area(s) was Cook referring? How much were they spending on security before? How does Apple make 3rd-party vendors more secure in a reasonable way? Have we had any reliable leaks from Cupertino since he stated that? Did anyone even guess that Apple would be releasing Swift this year?

Maybe he did or maybe he didn't double the expense paid to security but I certainly don't think we're seeing more leaks from the areas Apple has actual control over. I would hope one of those areas is to not let engineers test unannounced iPhones as their personal devices without additional checks as the chance of it being lost or stolen are just too high.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

It's amazing to think about how these slight modifications are thought up by engineers and designers and the big impact they have (more room for other parts, etc)

It really is amazing.  All of the thousands of little details and changes between models.  I can't comprehend how anyone can keep track of all that and still have a good product outcome.  Humans can be impressive sometimes.  

However, this won't move me away from the basic assertion of my personal motto: Human beings, no damn good.  :D

• Reply 10 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

So old...unless you got nothing else to add.

• Reply 11 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

this 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Come to think of it, maybe that's the answer. A lockbox. User decides which functions require Touch ID, and which don't. Move the ones that do behind the Touch ID firewall, and those that don't are ready to go when you pick up your phone. No more fingerprint to do basic low security stuff like making a call or sending a text.

Worked for me every time with multiple fingers.