NFL Sunday Ticket coming to iOS, Mac for 2014 season with no satellite subscription needed

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Satellite television provider DirecTV looks set to offer a standalone subscription to its popular NFL Sunday Ticket package for the first time, meaning cord-cutting football fans can follow the action this fall on their iPhone, iPad, or Mac without mounting a dish to their roof.

No official announcement has been made, but a promotional page for the new offering has appeared at NFLSundayTicket.tv. The company says viewing will be limited to out-of-market games when it begins on Sept. 7, but the popular Red Zone channel is included. AppleInsider was first tipped to the page by reader Sean.

"Now you can access live, out-of-market NFL games without a DIRECTV satellite TV account--no matter what team you follow," the site reads. "NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV lets you stream games on your computer, tablet, phone, or game console. All while keeping up with real-time player stats and your fantasy teams."

A $199.99 subscription will grant access via Sunday Ticket apps on mobile devices and personal computers, while access on gaming consoles will require a $239.99 subscription. The most expensive tier, at $329.99, combines the two and adds access to Red Zone and the new Fantasy Zone channel.

There is no word yet on whether subscribers will be able to use Apple's AirPlay technology to stream games on their television from an iOS device. Current versions of the Sunday Ticket app are not AirPlay-enabled, but it is possible that the new subscription packages will change that.

The ability to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket without a corresponding DirecTV subscription is a major victory for would-be cord cutters, who often cite live sporting events as the number one reason for keeping an active television subscription. A similar package was previously available only to consumers who could not be connected to DirecTV because of coverage issues, though the company did trial a more wide-open subscription model last year in a partnership with the Madden NFL franchise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The current Directv app doesn't support AirPlay so I won't be surprised if this doesn't either.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I will be getting this, excited they finally did this.

Plan on buying an Apple TV after their fall announcements, hope Airplay support is added.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Kinda lost interest when I read "A $199.99 subscription will grant access via Sunday Ticket ..."
  • Reply 4 of 74
    this isn't new. I used my ps3 to stream it for 2 years, and last year just hooked my laptop up to my tv to stream the games. week one is ALWAYS a disaster for some reason and then they figure everything out. quality isn't that great, but it's better than paying for directv.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member

*Starting at $199?*

No thanks. I'll just stick to the highlight reels.

• Reply 6 of 74
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Kinda lost interest when I read "A $199.99 subscription will grant access via Sunday Ticket ..."

I don't have a cable subscription but I add Uverse to my internet package during the 4-5 months of football season. So $199 isn't bad. Also curious what the student discount will be.

The unfortunate thing; however, is it blacks out local teams. That's the only reason I don't subscribe to MLBTV.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Sweet mother of god. Never thought I'd live to see the day.

Yes, airplay most important; and/or a AppleTV app. The list of supported devices link isn't accessible. I wonder if AppleTV is behind there?

The local blackout is a NFL rule, so that isn't going to change. When it is lifted for a sellout (or when the league feels it is appropriate), OTA broadcast would be available.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    alex101alex101 Posts: 40member

Boy, that's more than I paid for the NFL GamePass which includes every single game, NFL Redzone, the NFL Network (including A Football Life and other original programming), every game from the past season and select past Super Bowls. Good to be a non-US citizen I guess. 

• Reply 9 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    eightzero wrote: »
    Sweet mother of god. Never thought I'd live to see the day.

Yes, airplay most important; and/or a AppleTV app. The list of supported devices link isn't accessible. I wonder if AppleTV is behind there?

The local blackout is a NFL rule, so that isn't going to change. When it is lifted for a sellout (or when the league feels it is appropriate), OTA broadcast would be available.

If it's not Airplay compatible you might still be able to do so via a cheap Chromecast. I found a few threads that indicate it can work, even streaming from a Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    hopelesshopeless Posts: 65member
    I got the Madden deal last year. I bought the PS3 game through Amazon, paid $99, and it included NFL Sunday Ticket. The video game itself would have been $60, so it was a great deal. You didn't need a satellite sub (I am a cord cutter) and I was able to mirror my iOS devices to my Apple TV. It wasn't "airplay enabled" in that you had to mirror, but that's not a big deal - just a little bit of lag. It was a sweet deal - I hope they do it again.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Great timing! We're cutting the cord this August
  • Reply 12 of 74
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Too busy courting IBM to think about negotiating NFL Sunday Ticket support for the Apple TV platform?

• Reply 13 of 74
    jsmacjsmac Posts: 1member
    Fine print says limited by zip code. I'm not sure what that means, but my NW GA Zip wasn't eligible.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If it's not Airplay compatible you might still be able to do so via a cheap Chromecast. I found a few threads that indicate it can work, even streaming from a Mac.

You can Mirror to the Apple TV from a Mac to watch it.  Go peddle your Google crap elsewhere.

Why would anyone want to invest a penny in Google's ridiculous- change every 6 months- joke of a television platform?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Too busy courting IBM to think about negotiating NFL Sunday Ticket support for the Apple TV platform?

It technically isn't common knowledge or announced- just a leak.  For all we know it was going to be announced after a new ATV this year (maybe???)

• Reply 15 of 74
    mbautmbaut Posts: 1member
    I just tried to do this. IT'S CRAP!!!!! Only people who "can't" receive Directv in their home are eligible. We're still stuck with the dish if you want NFLST.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member
    What's the point in discriminating against certain devices with this pricing? Why is a console higher than streaming to the PC, tablet, or iphone?

And why is adding all devices 100$ more than the basic service? If all IP traffic is to be treated equally, why is pricing different for certain devices with a NIC card?
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Under requirements:

"Download and install FlashPlayer10" :err:
  • Reply 18 of 74
    andysol wrote: »
    You can Mirror to the Apple TV from a Mac to watch it.  Go peddle your Google crap elsewhere.

Then you obviously won't need to use a Chromecast. Unlike you the article's author was not sure if it will be compatible with iOS and Airplay or not, thus the OP's question. Fortunately we have you to clear it all up. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 19 of 74
    theaudtheaud Posts: 3member
    I don't think this is new. Or available to everyone.

From their FAQ:

"At this time, NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV is available to people in select areas, residence types, and enrolled in select universities. To find out if you're eligible to purchase it, visit NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV and click Get Started."
  • Reply 20 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There is no word yet on whether subscribers will be able to use Apple's AirPlay technology to stream games on their television from an iOS device.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Then you obviously won't need to use a Chromecast. Unlike you the article's author was not sure if it will be compatible with iOS and Airplay or not, thus the OP's question. Fortunately we have you to clear it all up. image

News flash: OSX isn't iOS

There is nothing you can't mirror from a Mac.  Of course you wouldn't mention that you can mirror from Mac to ATV- Both devices he has currently.  Instead, you'll spout off Chromecast as a "cheap" alternative- as if anyone wants that garbage on this forum.

Shoo Fly- don't bother us.