iBook as a Music Server

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
G'Day!

I hope this is the right forum ....

I was thinking of purchasing an iBook to use as a music server ...to store, play, rip and organize music.

One of things I'd like to do is connect the iBook, via a cable modem to the internet ..that is easy as I have done that with two other Windows computers connected to a 4 port Linksys Router ..but, I'd like to play internet radio (as well as music stored on the iBook), over my regular speakers attached to my stereo receiver.

I have heard that I can run a cable from the headphone port on the iBook into one of the auxiliary inputs on

the receiver (a 10 year old Marantz).

Would you have any suggestions as to the best way to approach this problem? What kind of cable do I need

between the iBook and the receiver?

Many thanks, in advance ....

Larry

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by Larry52:

<strong>G'Day!

I hope this is the right forum ....

I was thinking of purchasing an iBook to use as a music server ...to store, play, rip and organize music.

One of things I'd like to do is connect the iBook, via a cable modem to the internet ..that is easy as I have done that with two other Windows computers connected to a 4 port Linksys Router ..but, I'd like to play internet radio (as well as music stored on the iBook), over my regular speakers attached to my stereo receiver.

I have heard that I can run a cable from the headphone port on the iBook into one of the auxiliary inputs on

the receiver (a 10 year old Marantz).

Would you have any suggestions as to the best way to approach this problem? What kind of cable do I need

between the iBook and the receiver?

Many thanks, in advance ....

Larry</strong><hr></blockquote>

What kind of inputs on the reciever?

If they're RCA, you can buy a minijack -&gt; RCA L/R converter, and it'd be that easy. I have a stereo that accepts minijack input, so it's easy enough to run a minijack wire from my PowerBook to the stereo...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Jonathan ...

Thanks for the reply ...the jacks are indeed RCA jacks ... I'll goto Radio Shack this week and pick up a cable..many thanks....