Safari memory usage

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited July 2014

Does anyone know how to stop Safari content from consuming total Memory?

i get error messages that there is no more free memory even when Safari isn’t being over used.

For example, I was working a USA crossword puzzle and watching Activity Monitor.  Safari Content  just ate up all 8 GBs of memory within a few minutes.  When I  dumped the puzzle, Memory Used dropped to 3.35 GB. 

No large apps such as Office are open.  

I’ve tried using Safari in similar ways including trying to download ONE small Youtube file, but the same thing happens.  

I’m using Safari Version 7.0.5 (9537.77.4) with Mavericks 10.9.4 on a late 2009 27-inch iMac. 

The only thing that’s open now with Safari is AI which is using 92.2 MB.  Safari itself -  using 149.2 MB -  is the first item in Activity Monitor with nothing else but AI open. It’s not climbing now, but as soon as I connect to another web site, Memory Usage starts rising until it’s all used up. 

Any suggestions as to how to combat the problem?

Please don’t attack me if I haven’t stated this correctly.  I need help, not criticism.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

The second I submitted the previous post, Safari Web Content jumped from 92.2 MB to 197 MB.  Is that usual?  

BTW,  clicking on 'Edit' in the previous post didn't produce an editing window.  Would that be something on my end or on AI's end?

• Reply 2 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

Submitting that last post jumped Safari Web Content to 220 MB.  

And Editing is working now. 

• Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

“What on Earth? Why is my computer seizing up? Why am I beachballing for minutes on end? I’m not even doing anythi…oh.”

“OH.”

Thanks, Yosemite. :p And I couldn’t tell what was going on because each tab in Safari now runs completely separately. If one is totally frozen, all the rest still work fine. That’s wonderful, but it leads to not knowing where your problems are.

Regardless of where you use it, Safari seems to be a serious memory whore. It’s still the fastest browser out there.

• Reply 4 of 4
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    EDIT