WSJ: Apple preparing 70M to 80M combined iPhone 6 units for biggest launch ever

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Apple has reportedly asked partner suppliers in Asia to ramp up mass production of expected 4.7- and 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" models, with combined orders for both versions amounting to between 70 million and 80 million units.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal reports Apple is asking suppliers to produce between 70 million and 80 million 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models by the end of December, the biggest initial handset order in company history.

As noted by the publication, the supposed order is much larger than the initial production run for combined iPhone 5s and 5c models, which came out to between 50 million and 60 million units in 2013.

In addition to the expectedly large launch offering, or offerings, Apple is reportedly asking suppliers to ready components for up to 120 million iPhones by the end of 2014 to compensate for possible display failures. With larger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screens, display makers are said to be seeing yield issues due to the inclusion of advanced in-cell touch technology. The overall figure is huge compared to last year, which saw Apple prepare parts for 90 million iPhones for its supply chain, sources said.

It appears Apple may already be experiencing manufacturing delays, however, as the people said Foxconn and Pegatron are expected to start production of the 4.7-inch version in August. Foxconn is supposedly responsible for all 5.5-inch iPhone 6 orders and will begin manufacturing the "phablet" in September, suggesting the handset will not see release until October at the soonest.

The report contrasts a recent rumor that pegged iPhone 6 production to begin this week for the smaller version, while the larger next-gen model would hit the assembly line in August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    Has anyone actually seen a part for the alleged 5.5" model, or is it all just "fluff"?
  • Reply 2 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    prokip wrote: »
    Has anyone actually seen a part for the alleged 5.5" model, or is it all just "fluff"?

Yes.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes.

OK ... a link please !

• Reply 4 of 82
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Yeah, I have a feeling that once again, I'm still going to be waiting for 2 months after I order it until I get my phone. The only iPhone I've ever been able to get within launch week was the original one.

• Reply 5 of 82
    prokip wrote: »
    OK ... a link please !

Sure.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why stop at 70? Make it an even 100 MM!
  • Reply 7 of 82
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

The biggest problem I see with the staggered release of the two models (hope they're able to avoid that), is all the people who may be on-the-fence about which size they really want.

"Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can hold both sizes in my hand, side by side, and then make a decision."

• Reply 8 of 82
    bobschlob wrote: »
    The biggest problem I see with the staggered release of the two models (hope they're able to avoid that), is all the people who may be on-the-fence about which size they really want.
    "Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can hold both sizes in my hand, side by side, and then make a decision."

Unless I feel that holding a 4.7" iPhone is all I need to make that decision then I might do that. That said, I don't think that's a big issue for Apple, expect for launch weekend and first quarter sales figures as the analysts might predict doom and gloom, but over all not a big issue for Apple since these customers are going to buy an iPhone either way.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Or "Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can try fitting both sizes in my pocket, and then make a decision."

?The pocket size issue will be a deal-breaker for many.

I'm going to pre-order the 4.7" iPhone "6" for exactly that reason.

(If the rumors of a 4.7" screen are true.)

• Reply 10 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Or "Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can try fitting both sizes in my pocket, and then make a decision."

?The pocket size issue will be a deal-breaker for many.

I'm going to pre-order the 4.7" iPhone "6" for exactly that reason.

(If the rumors of a 4.7" screen are true.)

I already thought about this. I borrowed a friend's 6" LG Flex for a few minutes and put it in my pocket, walking around and sitting in my car. For me, the size won't be an issue.

• Reply 11 of 82
    Slowly, slowly, there's less talk about what Apple will release in the 4" size. I suppose the 5s and 5c will be back to cover the budget end, but there's been a complete silence on that. One thing I do hope is that the minimum memory in the iPhone 6 will be 32G. There's just so many good apps, music, and iBooks out there to get by on 16G. ;)

I'm ready to go for an iPhone 6, and put my iPhone 5 on eBay. it's been a great iPhone but it's time to move on.

The other quiet area is regarding the iPad update. It's almost a given that it will have the updated SoC and Touch ID, but what else is gonna be added to the device??

Whatever will be released this Fall, it's gonna be another nice Christmas for Apple. Ho, ho, ho!
  • Reply 12 of 82
    solipsismx wrote: »
    bobschlob wrote: »

Unless I feel that holding a 4.7" iPhone is all I need to make that decision then I might do that. That said, I don't think that's a big issue for Apple, expect for launch weekend and first quarter sales figures as the analysts might predict doom and gloom, but over all not a big issue for Apple since these customers are going to be an iPhone either way.

I agree. Heads Apple wins, tails Apple doesn't lose.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    jungmark wrote: »
    Why stop at 70? Make it an even 100 MM!

They will actually go way over 100MM when you add in the low cost options of a 5s and 5c....

By coming out with two iPhones last year and two more this year, Apple will still offer the total 4 current models offering like last year only with much more modern architecture (dropping the 4s).

For what it's worth, I still haven't see a 5c in the wild.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:

Bob, your kind is becoming scarce. Adhere to your principles. :)

NEWS BULLETIN: Patience died leaving Anticipation stranded on a desert island.

• Reply 15 of 82
    mhikl wrote: »
    NEWS BULLETIN: Patience died leaving Anticipation stranded on a desert island.

tl;dr
  • Reply 16 of 82
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    They will actually go way over 100MM when you add in the low cost options of a 5s and 5c....

By coming out with two iPhones last year and two more this year, Apple will still offer the total 4 current models offering like last year only with much more modern architecture (dropping the 4s).

My brother has a 5C plus I've seen a few of them in public and work.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

I have seen dozens.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    I have seen dozens.

I see them all the time and know many people that own them. They stand out due to their high gloss colours.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Gotta get those page views, WSJ!

• Reply 20 of 82
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Unless I feel that holding a 4.7" iPhone is all I need to make that decision then I might do that. That said, I don't think that's a big issue for Apple, expect for launch weekend and first quarter sales figures as the analysts might predict doom and gloom, but over all not a big issue for Apple since these customers are going to buy an iPhone either way.

Yeah. When I talk about Apple and "issues" or "problems", I'm almost always really referring to "media", "analysts", and "perception".;)