Flir One case turns Apple's iPhone into a high-end thermal imaging camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Thermal imaging company Flir has announced that pre-orders for its new One iPhone case -- which will let outdoorsmen, HVAC contractors, and people who simply like to see how hot things are convert their iPhone 5 or 5s into a thermal camera -- will begin Wednesday, with the device coming to Apple retail stores in August.

The Flir One will offer users the ability to view live infrared imagery when paired with a companion app, and the company imagines a variety of uses for the accessory, ranging from home improvement to security. Flir hopes the One's relatively modest $349.99 price tag -- a significant discount from the company's other cameras, which can run into the tens of thousands of dollars -- will inspire even more creative applications.

"Based on technology that was formerly reserved for the military, Flir One is the first in a new generation of affordable thermal imaging devices designed to inspire imaginative and innovative uses by consumers," Flir Chief Executive Andy Teich said in a release. "This represents a revolutionary step forward for both Flir Systems and thermal imaging."

Homeowners could use the Flir One to find and fix air leaks to make their home more energy efficient without needing to hire outside contractors, for instance, or campers could use the camera to observe nocturnal creatures. The Flir app also allows for the creation of time-lapse and panoramic thermal images.

Flir will begin accepting pre-orders in the U.S. on July 23 at 9 a.m. Eastern Time at flir.com//flirone. The camera will make its way to Europe as well as Apple retail outlets in the U.S. and Canada in August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32

Been waiting for this to come out when they announced it last year. Will be picking one up for sure. For automotive/racing use they are fantastic. I just couldn't justify spending a couple thousand for one.

• Reply 2 of 32
    Won't this just make everything look like a ghost or Sasquatch?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I use to use Flir products for a long time, I first used and IR system for finding hit spots on electronics back in the 1980's it was made by Huges, then I move to Flir, their systems was the better because of the software, they have really good real time and post processing capabilities.

It is amazing what they can cram into a small package. They use to require LN2 to keep the detector cool, then a cyro-pump. The IR sensors must have gotten so go they the can work at room temperatures.

I wonder how much memory the program uses on an iphone.

• Reply 4 of 32
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Here's what I have to say about this... Shut up and take my money!
  • Reply 5 of 32
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

It's actually an ultra-low end thermal camera. 80x60 pixels. Normal low-end cameras are 160x128 and commercial ones go as high as 640x480. The normal mode for this camera is to enhance the resolution by overlaying a visible image onto the thermal one.

• Reply 6 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Perfect for data center use. Scan the racks to find any machines that are running hot, probably dead fans. Also for scanning PDUs to see if they are overloaded. or have hot cables. We had a 440V cable melt one time. With something like this we could have been keeping records and would have noticed a spike in heat in advance of complete failure..

• Reply 7 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    konqerror wrote: »
    It's actually an ultra-low end thermal camera. 80x60 pixels. Normal low-end cameras are 160x128 and commercial ones go as high as 640x480. The normal mode for this camera is to enhance the resolution by overlaying a visible image onto the thermal one.

Whatever the resolution might be, it's more than sufficient. What it does, seems pretty sophisticated. The price is unbeatable. I've used far more expensive devices. The features they have are not required most of the time, and the extra resolution serves little purpose most of the time either. This is perfect for the purposes it's been designed for.

The only problem is that it's designed for the older devices. By the time it's available, Apple's new models will be out. I really would like to buy this, as I've got a number of uses for it. But I don't want to keep my iPhone 5 in order to do that, as I'm planning to buy a new phone in December.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Won't this just make everything look like a ghost or Sasquatch?

You say this as if it's a bad thing - I see the new market (courtesy of Rule 34): Hot Thermal Imaging Action :)

• Reply 9 of 32
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Does it do video (Terminator vision clips!) or just stills....?

• Reply 10 of 32
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    A Flir One plus a pistol might be the end of our gopher problems.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

A Flir One plus a pistol might be the end of our gopher problems.

Nah. A small tractor pulling tank of water from hole-to-hole is what you need.

• Reply 12 of 32
    superk9superk9 Posts: 11member
    Great! I'd like to use immediately on my MacBook Pro MagSafe connector and send the pic to Apple. It's often hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    dancxgdancxg Posts: 36member
    Can't wait to get one of these. My brothers work recently bought a flir for 15,000 dollars. A couple months later one of the female directors wanted an investigation into why funds were wasted on the flir instead of downloading the .99 thermal image app in the App Store like her little son did.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    dancxg wrote: »
    Can't wait to get one of these. My brothers work recently bought a flir for 15,000 dollars. A couple months later one of the female directors wanted an investigation into why funds were wasted on the flir instead of downloading the .99 thermal image app in the App Store like her little son did.
    If she is so clueless as to even attempt to question the difference between a $15,000 piece of specialty equipment to a $0.99 iOS app, she needs to be thrown out on her ass.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    magman1979 wrote: »
    If she is so clueless as to even attempt to question the difference between a $15,000 piece of specialty equipment to a $0.99 iOS app, she needs to be thrown out on her ass.

It's a large research hospital, my brother is a director also. He was forced to set up a demonstration/test since she had gotten everyone worked up about it and filed a formal complaint for fraud/waste/abuse. In the end she looked like a fool. He still laughs about it.
  • Reply 17 of 32

There is a huge difference. The original cameras were closer to $30k from Flir. Some were $60k. They had /have specialty courses to actually get certified on how to read and Interpret the results. You can't seriously think there's any parallel between a .99 app for a phone that does not have thermal imaging capability to one that was specifically designed for it.

There's a .99 app on the App Store that will find ghosts too! Yea, it's amazing! They're really there!

Just to throw it out there, If you own and are certified to use a Flir camera you can bill yourself out (with the camera) for around $2,000 per hour depending on the client.

I call bull sh:t on the .99 app scenario unless the entire group involved are/were extremely mentally challenged. I have seen organizations buy one after they have used someone else's services and had their employees sent to the classes required to operate them.

Don't get your hopes up for buying the item mentioned and billing yourself out either. It's meant more for recreation.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    It happened. The hospital is funded partially by the state. All kinds if non-sense happens there. She was against the purchase and made a huge ordeal, she left a short time after. The people she had gotten on her side were older and had no idea what was true or not.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    It happened. The hospital is funded partially by the state. All kinds if non-sense happens there. She was against the purchase and made a huge ordeal, she left a short time after. The people she had gotten on her side were older and had no idea what was true or not.

Every hospital should own a Flir camera or an equivalent. Being able to look at electrical gear - transformers, panels, battery backup systems, capacitors (you get charged for your largest electrical load, a capacitor will drop your load requirements and lower the bill) and understanding if they are overloaded is very important. I'm not even the electrical industry. My card says "Material Sciences". Nice sounding I suppose. I test everything basically.

Throw one of those supposed iPhone screens my way and I can tell you the exact chemical makeup. I'd put it through a few more tests than a "Jack knife" and sandpaper!
  • Reply 20 of 32
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Every hospital should own a Flir camera or an equivalent.

Agreed, for medical purposes it can be used to diagnose broken joints/inflammation.
    ...capacitors (you get charged for your largest electrical load, a capacitor will drop your load requirements and lower the bill)

Sorry what?