Apple TV to get FXNOW with integrated 'Simpsons World' within 12 months

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2014
Popular basic cable network FX will supposedly bring its FXNOW on-demand video service, as well as the upcoming Simpsons World, to Apple TV within the next 12 months, expanding the set-top streamer's content with shows like Louie, Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story and more.

According to a tweet from TV writer Jason Lynch, FX Networks will extend its digital offerings, which include shows from FX, FXX and FXM, to dedicated Internet streaming devices like the Apple TV, Roku and others. The tweet was first reported by iLounge.

Lynch, reporting from the Television Critics Association tour, said Simpsons World will be part of FXNOW on Apple TV, not a standalone channel as some previously speculated. The forthcoming service will provide on-demand viewing of all all 522 episodes of The Simpsons, as well as additional content through an iOS app.

Expected to hit Apple TV within the next 12 months, both services will require users to enter cable provider credentials before activation.

FX Networks currently makes FXNOW available as an iOS app, while Simpsons World is expected to roll out in October as both an app and integrated service for set-top streamers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jman225jman225 Posts: 18member
    This is going to be awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member

• Reply 3 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "The forthcoming service will provide on-demand viewing of all all 522 episodes of The Simpsons, as well as additional content through an iOS app."

Between Netflix and Apple TV my 'cutting back on time watching TV' is taking a hit, this is terrible news for that goal too as i love the Simpsons! I will try not to watch [sic] all all of them! ;)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    What I think might be bigger news is that fox is finally getting into the game. It's been primarily disney/abc as the only network. With fx- it opens the door for actual fox, and even better- potentially fox sports- which is huge in Dallas (they have 3 of 4 exclusives for major sports- just not NFL).
    Sports are the key to this set-top nut. Whoever cracks it, wins
  • Reply 5 of 8
    napmannapman Posts: 25member

It's important that to use FXNow or FoxNow you have to log in with a participating cable or satellite provider.  So if you are a "cord cutter" you won't be able to do much with it.

Likewise if you subscribe to DirecTV you are out of luck as well.

• Reply 6 of 8
    lawrancelawrance Posts: 86member
    "both services will require users to enter cable provider credentials before activation. " - Once again delegating my Apple TV to nothing more than a Netflix streaming box.

I have a very limited Comcast package, and the channels I do get, I'm able to do on-demand programming from Comcast (with built-in commercials). I don't know why the AppleTV channels don't offer the same arrangement so that EVERYONE can get full use of the AppleTV.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I prefer on demand to time shifting (DVR) or broadcast-only viewing habits. For one thing: binge watching!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Hardware is in desperate need of an upgrade.