Just bought a macbook pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2014

With all the deals going around, apparently due to a refresh (I would imagine) I went ahead and took advantage and purchased me a top of the line 15" macbook pro.

Love it. But do you know what bugs me? lol, the hard drive icon on my desktop is an old school hard drive. You would think they would make some slick looking solid state icon.

heh.

:) 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    You would think they would make some slick looking solid state icon.

SSDs aren't all made the same like with HDD. They all make custom designs now. Apple's SSDs are bare computer boards:

Maybe it can be something a bit more abstract to represent file storage like a filing cabinet but the danger with all these things is using something anachronistic. They do it with Mail in using letters and stamps so as long as they chose something that was still current and recognisable, that would be ok. HDDs will be around for a while but there will come a time when they are no longer produced and a generation will grow up not knowing what a platter drive is.

SSDs might not be around forever either though. The ideal setup is to have RAM and non-volatile storage be the same thing:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/163058-reram-the-new-memory-tech-that-will-eventually-replace-nand-flash-finally-comes-to-market

If they can get the speeds up to tens of GBs per second read/write and maintain write endurance, one day having 1TB of non-volatile storage will be like having 1TB of RAM. Maybe they'll always have a reserved cache for memory operation but read-only data like OS files can be read directly from the drive and don't have to be copied into memory. It would just be writes that go into a buffer.
  • Reply 2 of 2

Well. The more you know. I had no fricken clue, thanks for sharing that. :) Lol