Facebook to soon require standalone Messenger app for mobile chats [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Facebook on Monday announced it will be drawing down support for messages sent through its flagship mobile app, meaning users around the world will be forced to download the standalone Messenger app if they want to take their chats on the road.

After seeing success in a Messenger-only pilot program in Europe, Facebook will in the coming days remove chat capabilities from its main app and require iOS and Android device users to rely on the standalone messaging software for such services, reports TechCrunch.
In the next few days, we're continuing to notify more people that if they want to send and receive Facebook messages, they'll need to download the Messenger app. As we've said, our goal is to focus development efforts on making Messenger the best mobile messaging experience possible and avoid the confusion of having separate Facebook mobile messaging experiences. Messenger is used by more than 200 million people every month, and we'll keep working to make it an even more engaging way to connect with people.
According to the publication, Facebook claims Messenger is 20 percent faster than sending and receiving messages through the main Facebook mobile app. Breaking out chat services to a standalone app will remove bloat from the flagship, while boosting user share for Messenger. While streamlining apps may win the favor of some users, others might take unkindly to the change, especially those who use Chat Heads to multitask while in the flagship Facebook app.

Most recently, Facebook took its Messenger app universal with a new version optimized for the iPad.

For those looking to download Messenger before the new policy goes into effect, the app is available as a free 39MB download from the App Store.

Update: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated Windows Phone devices will also be affected by the change in Messenger policy. Facebook is planning the drawdown in support for iOS and Android devices only. The article has been updated to reflect this information.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

A pox on Facebook.

• Reply 2 of 27
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

I enjoy the messaging app as I have a ton of FB friends but increasingly hate the muddled, battery hungry and pain in the rear actual FB app. I'll keep the messenger app and banish FB app from my phone. Lots of battery savings and I can still check it through the browser when I feel the need.

• Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I enjoy the messaging app as I have a ton of FB friends but increasingly hate the muddled, battery hungry and pain in the rear actual FB app. I'll keep the messenger app and banish FB app from my phone. Lots of battery savings and I can still check it through the browser when I feel the need.

You can do this already.  What sucks is FB is now saying you MUST have the messenger app, and they no longer will let you message from the single app.  Seems lame to me.  Just one more app you have to keep running.  I've got no plans to install the messenger app on my phone.  This is one foot out of the door from FB for me.

• Reply 4 of 27
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Huh... Facebook... neeever heard of it. Is it a fad of some kind?  /s(for being snarky)

• Reply 5 of 27
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member

The messenger app is substantially better than Facebook's normal application. Design is a lot cleaner and more modern, and it's much more responsive too.

• Reply 6 of 27
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

Operation Monetize Shortly

• Reply 7 of 27
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Big deal. I already don't use the app. It's a piece of crash prone garbage. I just use the mobile website. Which is a slow piece of garbage.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    trumptman wrote: »

Exactly.

The point of Facebook Messenger app is so you can quickly respond to messages without opening Facebook.

And so you won't be tempted by Top 10 lists and other crap. :D
  • Reply 9 of 27
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

How long before FB forces users to watch pre-roll ads in their Messenger app?

• Reply 10 of 27
    The Facebook Chat app is iOS 7 only, so tough luck for those of us with an iPad 1 (iOS 5)or non 5th gen iPod touch (iOS 6) :-(
  • Reply 11 of 27
    I wonder how much longer before Facebook Messenger becomes WhatsApp?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    trubadortrubador Posts: 80member

Log in to FB via Safari. There. Fixed the problem without using any of their apps. ;-)

• Reply 13 of 27
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    One more reason I'm glad I use Facebook as little as humanly possible.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Speaking of apps, the good side of the app business, I hope everybody checks out Gruber today so they can get in on a very worthy documentary about the "new art form of our generation."

Only about 2/12 days to make the goal. http://daringfireball.net
  • Reply 15 of 27
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

How long before FB forces users to watch pre-roll ads in their Messenger app?

I'm sure that's part of it, 

also their latest spying functions will be in this new App.

My iPhone shall stay clean of such prying eyes !

• Reply 16 of 27
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Boo
  • Reply 17 of 27
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Good
  • Reply 18 of 27

Is Zuckerberg under the impression that Facebook is an OS? First there was the ill-advised Facebook phone UI thingy that nobody wanted. Now he wants to break it up into as many apps as possible.

Pretty soon, you will need to download the separate apps to throw sheep, join a ninja clan and whatever else people end up doing on FB.

The main app will just be a notification centre. "IRulz has thrown monkey shit at you. Go to your 'Throw Monkey Shit FB App' and respond in kind".

• Reply 19 of 27
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    darklite wrote: »
    The messenger app is substantially better than Facebook's normal application. Design is a lot cleaner and more modern, and it's much more responsive too.

Great! So put all those features under the messages tab in the normal app.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    acgmphacgmph Posts: 48member

Here's how I used Facebook-anything less and less because of them being stupid and too hungry for personal information to actually care about usability:

First there was the bloated FB app which was constantly crashing. Then came the Messenger app which was a lot better. I deleted the main FB app because I only used FB to communicate with distant friends and relatives anyway, and not for sharing "OMG, check out my lunch!" moments. Then I realized that most of those friends and relatives now use either iMessage or went back to email, so I could easily delete the Messenger app too. I was then left with the mobile website, which I was opening from time to time, especially when "away from my desk." But after installing iOS 8 beta, the mobile website doesn't work properly anymore. I have my cookies set to only accept from "current website only" and that kills Facebook's mobile site. Oh well, I guess Suckerberg won't be seeing too much of me anymore. I have the popcorn ready for when the bubble bursts, and it's just a matter of time until it does.